Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #211
Mototrans
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
Well there was a little progress this weekend
Pezz if you need a hand for a day let me know, i'm only round the corner and happy to repay the favour.. (no sidecar talk)

"Ignorance of the law will never save you. Good suspension and a full tank might." - Sundowner
Mototrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #212
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototrans
Pezz if you need a hand for a day let me know, i'm only round the corner and happy to repay the favour.. (no sidecar talk)
Why dont you just come over for a visit, coffee and no sidecar chat.

Besides I have plenty of reading material AKA (Sidecar Manuals)

I have to get a few things in place first, the front and back ends to be precise. but it will have to come together in a rush.

I will need a lift to put the engine back into the frame.

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #213
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,347
Righto, THE DOMESTIC AUTHORITY has cleared me for a weekend of motorcycle assembly mayhem Pezz so i'll be down there as i said, around 3.00PM Saturday and we can work into the wee small hours, If theres anything you need me to bring down to help let me know asap as i'll have the trailer. I'll bring down all the old KLR stuff i have
I have another bike stand if you need it, various large hammers and i found this too

Pic of the system fitted to the ZX-12, reckon we could make it work?

“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #214
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Only when you are riding it OldDog

Been a pretty useless day today, the spacer I had made for the steering head was 5mm to short, should have a new one sorted by tomorrow night.

All part of the fun!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #215
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog

Pic of the system fitted to the ZX-12, reckon we could make it work?
Dammit! All the really fun stuff happens over there, I knew I should have emigrated like my mad uncle Arnold (every family has one........except now my nephews have "mad uncle Dave! ).

What that, 2lb? Jeez guys, that won't last long........I got two polished up 5kg fire extinguisher bottles left over from the attempt to make a Mean Streak fast, that'd be better
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #216
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Well finally got the front end on. Fitted the little spacer

Then the rest basically fell into place. Mototrans popped in for a coffee and a play in the sandpit, Thanks Scott.

The fuel tank will be an issue as the forks hit the tank before reaching full lock. I will have to either move the 400 tank rearwards, fit the XL tank or another tank, but really cant get that done until the motor is back in the frame. Hopefully this weekend.

Scott removed the coils while I was on the phone and mocked it up with the XL250 Tank. I prefer the 400 tank myself, but may have to look at this as it clears the forks.

Back to it, off to the steel shop as I have to buy some flat bar and angle to make some brackets.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #217
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oh, this is pretty close to where the rear shocks will sit once the swingarm is back from being extended.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #218
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Looks good with the XL tank and seat mate, but it's gonna look awesome if you can keep the original tank! Man that is nice

“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #219
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Quote:
Looks good with the XL tank and seat mate, but it's gonna look awesome if you can keep the original tank! Man that is nice
The XL tank is okay but the seat needs some major cutting to fit on the chassis.

Let get the motor in and see first. you know I still have this stuff lying around

Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #220
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

True Wonder if that KLR seat might fit better than the XL one? One way to find out!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #221
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,991
Quote:
+1

It's a CB 400 mate... it's just GOTTA have that red tank with the HONDA wing iconon it... or it just ain't the same (please don't put that gaudy LC4 stuff on there mate... or you'll just end up offending two cultures at once! )

Suggestion: (using the eyeball tape measure). Move the mounts of the CB tank back (20-30mm) to clear the steering head, then cut up that long red XL saddle you had sitting on there (saw off the safety seat part up front) which you could then cut and contour nicely to mate up to the rear of the CB tank... and presto! (all red)

Seem's simpler that cutting/rewelding the XL tank to make it fit the chassis (and the saddle... which would need modifying anyway).

"Simpler"...? oops, sorry... lost myself there for a moment... forgot who I was addressing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 11:20 PM
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #222
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
+1

It's a CB 400 mate... it's just GOTTA have that red tank with the HONDA wing iconon it... or it just ain't the same (please don't put that gaudy LC4 stuff on there mate... or you'll just end up offending two cultures at once! )

Suggestion: (using the eyeball tape measure). Move the mounts of the CB tank back (20-30mm) to clear the steering head, then cut up that long red XL saddle you had sitting on there (saw off the safety seat part up front) which you could then cut and contour nicely to mate up to the rear of the CB tank... and presto! (all red)
Yep my preference is still to try to get the CB4/4 tank to work,

Just need the motor in the frame to be able to stuff around with it. that will be this weekend.

Time will tell

Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #223
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

G'day All,

Well OldDog arrived from sunny Cobar to pick up 'Cousin IT' and we had a productive night punctuated with a few cleansing ales

Below is OldDog in the morning before his long trip home, looks a bit worse for wear, must be his breathing all that the polluted air

Well, with some encouragement from Bill, thanks old Mate, got the motor back together and back in the frame, Im only missing a few bolts, which is quite good.

I have to do another order of parts, hopefully locally.

The swing arm is being extended and I will have to chase that up on Monday. That is slowing progress to completion.

I will have to get a rear knobbie tyre organised and some chain, oil, plugs, air cleaner amoung a host of other parts. Plenty to still get done.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #224
KLEaner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
jeebus pezz.... I thought I had my work cut out....

... was expecting 100K from this bike; now aiming for 150K ...
KLEaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #225
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Yeah theres still a lot to do mate, keep up the good work. It was a great weekend for me though, got to meet Kevin McGee while we where working on the engine, and drank perhaps a little too much beer eh Pezz? now, stop reading this and get out there and start work!!!