ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do you follow the OG?
I'll watch them all day 8 11.27%
I'll watch only the sports I like or enjoy 25 35.21%
I'll watch only the sports my Country is in 2 2.82%
I don't give a damn about OG 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #16
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 33,277
I only have the basic, basic, cable. If NBC ain't showing it prime time, I ain't seeing it. Sucks. I'd watch everything except sailing. Unless they were shooting cannons at each other. I'd watch that.
__________________
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:55 PM   #17
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius
 
R1150GSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 26,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
Fucking-A Bob Costas and the rest of the NBC commentators. Why don't you guys move to China, that way you can cheerlead full time for those competing with us.
At least it's not Tim McCarver during the World Series. Now there's a guy who really grates my cheese.
__________________
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #18
Rider
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: The Heart Of It All
Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150GSA
At least it's not Tim McCarver during the World Series. Now there's a guy who really grates my cheese.
I don't know how he fit that huge ego behind that catcher's equipment.
__________________
2012 FJR1300 - In Search Of Fast Sweepers
My Voice
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #19
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,205
mmm...

i'm watching quite a bit... which surprises me. women's swimming, women's indoor volleyball(oh logan tom, you glorious girl!)... seen some women's diving.

the men's sports just ain't doin' it fer me fer some reason,

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #20
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,316
Me too... I just keep it on one of the Olympic channels... I've been watching religiously both Winter and Summer since 1976 (when I was 6) and I can't stay away when the games roll aorund... The competition, especially the swimming and track and field is the ultimate in pure head to head speed and determination...

GO USA! Keep the medals rolling in!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:31 PM   #21
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,205
specifically...

logan tom of the indoor women's volleyball team.

oooooh sigh,

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #22
gaspipe
Wandering Soul
 
gaspipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pickwick Lake, Tennessippi
Oddometer: 11,344
So far, I am perplexed. WFT is this synchronized diving crap? Sure, it's probably harder than riding a BMW with Saharas, but WTF? I'm going for the Olympic Gold Medal in beer drinking. You betcherass I am pretty good at it too, and I don't even have a trainer, other than my wife's looks of despair.

I thought is was screwy letting bowling into the Olympics. Now we have some sort of ribbon gymnastics aberration. Now, pro atheletes in the Olympics (dangit, don't tell Jim Thorps' ghost. It seems like you can be a bumbaclot from Bayonne, and have known a guy from the Galapagos, and the next thing, you're one Galapagos' Xtreme Xbox team. What the hell has gone wrong here?

Now, WTF is this? Horse shows? Why not horseracing, or the limbo? Or picking up chicks in a bar? Fishing? American football (hell basketball made it)?

If we're gonna make it up as we go, I vote for Women's Gymnastics of any kind, and that Women's Beach Volleyball. No Men's anything - no banana hammocks allowed on my TV.

To hell with everything else, I'm watching Adult Swim. It's closer to reality.
__________________
gaspipe [the original]

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #23
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
So far, I am perplexed. WFT is this synchronized diving crap? Sure, it's probably harder than riding a BMW with Saharas, but WTF? I'm going for the Olympic Gold Medal in beer drinking. You betcherass I am pretty good at it too, and I don't even have a trainer, other than my wife's looks of despair.

I thought is was screwy letting bowling into the Olympics. Now we have some sort of ribbon gymnastics aberration. Now, pro atheletes in the Olympics (dangit, don't tell Jim Thorps' ghost. It seems like you can be a bumbaclot from Bayonne, and have known a guy from the Galapagos, and the next thing, you're one Galapagos' Xtreme Xbox team. What the hell has gone wrong here?

Now, WTF is this? Horse shows? Why not horseracing, or the limbo? Or picking up chicks in a bar? Fishing? American football (hell basketball made it)?

If we're gonna make it up as we go, I vote for Women's Gymnastics of any kind, and that Women's Beach Volleyball. No Men's anything - no banana hammocks allowed on my TV.

To hell with everything else, I'm watching Adult Swim. It's closer to reality.

You just know Bass fishing is coming!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:47 PM   #24
gaspipe
Wandering Soul
 
gaspipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pickwick Lake, Tennessippi
Oddometer: 11,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
You just know Bass fishing is coming!
You're not making this any easier for me.
__________________
gaspipe [the original]

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #25
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,205
ach and aye...

makes me think of that sat night live skit on synchronized swimming with who was it again?

martin short and harry shearer?

me

p.s. with the life jacket and nose plugs? heheee, oh! i've never laughed so hard in my life. nbc needs to put an olympics best of SNL together.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #26
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 33,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
makes me think of that sat night live skit on synchronized swimming with who was it again?

martin short and harry shearer?

me

p.s. with the life jacket and nose plugs? heheee, oh! i've never laughed so hard in my life. nbc needs to put an olympics best of SNL together.
Hands down, one of the funniest bits ever done for SNL.

Christopher Guest as the choreographer: "We Dig A Hole" "We Dig A Hole"

"I know you" "I know you" "I know you"
__________________
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #27
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady
 
Linzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Norris, TN
Oddometer: 15,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by komet
SEC rocks!


Go Gators!
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:58 AM   #28
rallybug
Local Yokel
 
rallybug's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: North Salt Lake, UT
Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
Yes, God forbid we show that. Guns = bad.
There's Men's Double Trap on now - a live broadband Real Audio feed from the BBC website at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...le/default.stm - keep an eye on that page and there might be live video of the other shooting events over the next 5 days.
__________________
Ben

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:21 AM   #29
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,618
I agree with Jurgen and Retro: the announcers suck. Everything has to be "Foxified:" the drama has to come from their mouths, the drama must be scripted, and they must be able to prove to you how smart they are.

But this is also the Olympic's fault. They're asking so much money for the rights to broadcast, that NBC is cherry picking the events to show.

If the coverage were better, I'd watch more.

If I could choose which events to watch, I would.

If I could choose the types of announcers to listen I would (Loudmouth, stupid talking heads = no; Quiet, Articulate commentators which fill in the knowledge gaps = yes)

And cut out the bullshit human interest stories. Quit pandering to me. It's about the sport, stupid.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:14 AM   #30
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 33,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Lob
I agree with Jurgen and Retro: the announcers suck. Everything has to be "Foxified:" the drama has to come from their mouths, the drama must be scripted, and they must be able to prove to you how smart they are.

But this is also the Olympic's fault. They're asking so much money for the rights to broadcast, that NBC is cherry picking the events to show.

If the coverage were better, I'd watch more.

If I could choose which events to watch, I would.

If I could choose the types of announcers to listen I would (Loudmouth, stupid talking heads = no; Quiet, Articulate commentators which fill in the knowledge gaps = yes)

And cut out the bullshit human interest stories. Quit pandering to me. It's about the sport, stupid.
Can you possibly take partisianship out of this for a moment? Foxified my ass. Fucking idiot. These guys are from NBC, they are cheering on our competitors, and nit-picking every possible part of the U.S. performance. It's maddening to listen to them.
__________________
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014