User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Undertheoaks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Bar risers or no bar risers ?

I ride a gas gas 280 pro that I bought used, it came with risers on it and I have never taken them off. Im curious if anybody else uses them on their trials bike or should I toss them ?
Undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 950
If you don't not need them I would suggest taking them off, however if you like or need them a set of high bend bars would be better in my opinion. But that's just my 2 cents.

Might also help to know the size of what's on there now, how much extra height your getting with them etc.

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 01-20-2015 at 08:54 PM
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertheoaks View Post
I ride a gas gas 280 pro that I bought used, it came with risers on it and I have never taken them off. Im curious if anybody else uses them on their trials bike or should I toss them ?
Assuming you have the big risers, taller than 10-15mm.

They are commonly used in Trials competitions, mostly in the novice class by riders who struggle to get up even the slightest incline.

Take em off.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Undertheoaks OP
Adventurer

Thanks, I ride Intermediate and have been riding/racing dirt bikes for 30 years, but new to trials starting my 3rd year with Sactopits. Im going to take them off.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,978
Started with a set of Renthal tall Trials bend 7/8" bars years ago on my old TX270. Moved on to my current 4RT that already had a set of standard Trials bend Pro Taper Fatbars on it, lower than the tall 7/8" bars on the old GasGas. Struggled for 2 years, could not find a set of Trials bend tall Fatbars then. Had a set of risers custom machined for the Fatbar clamps. Been happy as a clam ever since.

Not sayin', but you decide. If you feel that you are "apeing" over the bike (have someone photograph you to be sure), then do something about it. Neutral normal riding stance is your friend. "Apeing" over the front is not. Just my 2 cents.

Can of worms....open!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 335
I run a 25mm riser. It helps my 6' 2" frame and iffy back enjoy a longer day. It gives me a more relaxed and upright posture. Seems to work fine for me in expert. I occasionally bang my hips on the bars, but usually on really big moves while practicing, not on the size of obstacle we see in competition.

I agree that a taller bend would be preferable. Just got a Pastrana fmx bar with 5.5" of rise for my xr. I like it much better than the low bar with big risers.

So. Take them off. See if you mis them. Always easy to go back.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
Undertheoaks OP
Adventurer

Should have mentioned I'm 5'9"
Old 01-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 950
Right there with you... 5' 9 1/2" and don't need risers on the wife's Gas Gas or my 4RT as long as I set the bars well.

And being in my mid 30's no back/neck issues helps as well.

Remember to let us know what you think with in comparison to without them.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,561
Quote:

Bar risers! It's been a few months!

Take them off and give em to someone that you want to beat at the local level.

Now roll your bars forward to some ridiculous angle. Now step back, look at the bike from the side and roll the bars forward some more. Feels horrible, right? You are almost there.

Now, give it a few days riding and if you aren't hitting ups better and turning inside crisper, you can always go back and re-visit this issue later. That was only part of the problem!!

Guys keep wanting to set these bikes up like a trail bike or a MX bike and then wonder why their riding suffers. Say la vee.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Should have mentioned I'm 5'9"
There is no easy formula for this, only what works better for you. How tall you are is one of the most important variables. Both my bikes have risers that are close to 17mm. I'm 6' 1-1/2" with monkey arms (I don't know exactly how long). Without risers I feel bent over a bit too much. With risers the bikes feel more right sized.

I'd do some experimenting. Ride them with and without and back. But take very good care to not be changing bar rotation or that'll throw things way off. Bar rotation is a big variable! You can get the height right and that wrong and it'll cost you.

Basically it boils down to where your hands attach relative to the steering axis and tire contact patch. These all impart or react with torques that affect handling. Grip position is also heavily connected to bike pitch or attitude (butt high butt low, front end high or low). If you get all of these small variable right(er) your bike will be very stable handling, increasing confidence.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #11
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
There's a big difference between an experienced, upper level rider choosing tall bars and a newer rider.
I'm 6'1" and I frequently use tall bars or risers, but I'm talking 5-10mm taller.
I have repeatedly seen new riders trying to ride with 1 1/2"-2" risers who lose control of their bikes when riding uphill because their bars are against their bellies and they can't center over the bike.
I think that new riders ride a trials bike and expect it to be comfortable. You'd think the absence of a seat would be enough to tip them off that the bikes are not built for comfort.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,354
He's 5'9" Raga is 5'10" I read, I think most of the competition is about that size, up in the "factory rider/developer" classes, you think Motobene?

So I would hesitate to guess 5'9" doesn't really need risers, but he could easily experiment with making some himself, I would venture to say no more than 1/4 inch at max?

Bar position (rotation) is probably the adjustment he needs.

I agree whole heartedly with motobene's post: experiment, but when you jack with some things on the bike, it can help for some things, and cause troubles in other areas.

make sure you have bolts long enough that you have at least as much "thread" into the mounts, that you had before any spacer is added! everything on a trials bike, it seems, is machined to minimum to do the job (mass/weight wise) this means the stock bolts are exactly the amount of threads to hold, no extra as extra is weight... so if you ad 1/4 inch spacer you need 1/4 inch longer bolts, else the bolts/headstock will more than likely not hold up to a big drop or something.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #13
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
There's a big difference between an experienced, upper level rider choosing tall bars and a newer rider.
I'm 6'1" and I frequently use tall bars or risers, but I'm talking 5-10mm taller.
I have repeatedly seen new riders trying to ride with 1 1/2"-2" risers who lose control of their bikes when riding uphill because their bars are against their bellies and they can't center over the bike.
I think that new riders ride a trials bike and expect it to be comfortable. You'd think the absence of a seat would be enough to tip them off that the bikes are not built for comfort.
Agree on too tall. Recall that fashion in the `80s for Ape Hanger stuff. very bad for the handling, especially for those who are un dynamic on their bikes.

Don't agree on discomfort, however. I am very comfortable on my bike. I can ride many, many hours with no accumulating pain from the ergos not being right... enough. Maybe the riding position of trials is just a natural for me? One reason I ride trials is I'm aging and beat up. The activity makes me hurt less and if I stop doing it, after a few weeks here comes more pain
Old 01-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
He's 5'9" Raga is 5'10" I read, I think most of the competition is about that size, up in the "factory rider/developer" classes, you think Motobene?
You are onto something, I think. I'm a little taller and like the grips a little farther up there.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Great point on the thread exposure Sting. Al needs all the thread it can get. Also, be careful not to over torque for the same reason.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote