User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,571
Golden Tyre Trials Gecko

These full-size tires came on the '14 Beta 80. I thought by the name they were Chinese, and I assumed they were cheap being on the 80. But the company is Italian. The appearance quality is top notch. Performance is great. The knobs feel gummy soft just like Michelin.

I've long thought some company would come up with trials tires equalling the quality of Michelin but not equaling the breath-sucking price. Is the Golden Tyre Trials Gecko a hot new thing?
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
May be in the US but not in Europe.

Work very well but wears also very quick.

The GT255 is the softest tire they have.

There is another available the GT256
a little better in durability.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
May be in the US but not in Europe.

Work very well but wears also very quick.

The GT255 is the softest tire they have.

There is another available the GT256
a little better in durability.
Thanks. The tires on this bike are:

Front: 3.00-21 GT355

Rear: 4.00-18 GT355

Looks like the 3 means a new series and the 55 is their softer rubber. I prefer softer over durability, for traction.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
The new Goldens are 555`s. The trouble I see with the cheaper trials tires is in the construction. They are actually made with a radial tire profile. Looks more like a 4.60 18. Trials tires usually put a larger contact patch on the ground. The shinko tire is a terrible example. Seen the knobs actually rub on the swing arm and still a smaller contact patch. Trouble is they have a round contact patch verses a more flat design.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Wow. Can't keep up with their model progression they change so fast. What happened to the 4XX model?

You say 'problem with cheaper.' There's no problem with cheaper in cost, only cheaper in quality. With what Michelins go for these days, one would think they had a high percentage of gold. That high cost creates an opportunity for some enterprising company to take the market with significantly lower cost and equivalent quality. So far it's been Dunlop filling the void, with a tire that is in my opinion is not quite up to the Michelin X11 (I have yet to buy the not-so-much-lighter and more flat-prone X-Lite rear, though I do like the X-Lite front.

We shall see how the 355s hold up and work, though the application on an 80 under mostly my wife's throttle hand isn't the most strenuous.

Where can these be bought in the US? I'd be interested in trying one on the 300.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
Dunlop has a new 803 GP out, but have not found it in the US yet.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Here is what I found on the Golden Tyre web site:

GT555 translation: Front and rear tires developed and tested by the best international drivers of Trial. Due to the design of the blocks, the housing, and the exclusive compound high technology, combined with its lightness winning in lateral movements, allows considerable grip on rocks with good stability and shock absorption. Both tires are unparalleled in wet situations. The GT 555 is the tire for professionals and ambitious amateur drivers.

GT556 translation: GT 565 rear of the new generation, the revolution of the tire in the world trials to compete at the highest level, combining elasticity and toughness with exceptional grip that makes maintain good contact with the ground. The special tread compound offers excellent performance cushioning and traction facilitating precise steering, with minimum and maximum wear resistance of the tire.

Of course the above is all marketing BS and doesn't say much. The 556 rear only and for what? Better wear resistance? That last sentence doesn't translate well.

How about availability? I've put an inquiry in on their US Facebook page.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Stu had recently mentioned to me that he can get them from Jitsie, but by the time he paid for shipping, they would be more expensive than a Dunlop so he was waiting to hear more about them from his friends in Europe. Then its another $20 bucks to ship them to a customer. I think he sells 99.9% of his tire inventory at the events and they come with free mounting to offset the added price over say a sale price with free shipping on motorcycle super store.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Stu had recently mentioned to me that he can get them from Jitsie, but by the time he paid for shipping, they would be more expensive than a Dunlop so he was waiting to hear more about them from his friends in Europe. Then its another $20 bucks to ship them to a customer. I think he sells 99.9% of his tire inventory at the events and they come with free mounting to offset the added price over say a sale price with free shipping on motorcycle super store.
Yeah that's a problem. These guys being European, with their higher cost structure, plus the shipping, may make them not such a stellar deal. They need to come in better than Dunlop on performance (ideally same as Michelin), and at the price of a Dunlop. Maybe that's just not possible?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Probably NOT possible bringing them in a few sets at a time. Maybe a big retailer with room in a shipping container from the same region could be competitive. Now if they work better than a X11, I think they could be price competitive with Michelin. In the meantime, I see them being a money saver for BETA as they are distributed from Italy. Will be interesting to see if they show up on the big bikes.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #11
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Probably NOT possible bringing them in a few sets at a time. Maybe a big retailer with room in a shipping container from the same region could be competitive. Now if they work better than a X11, I think they could be price competitive with Michelin. In the meantime, I see them being a money saver for BETA as they are distributed from Italy. Will be interesting to see if they show up on the big bikes.
I am making an attempt to communicate with these Italians in USA to let them know that if they can do Michelin quality at Dunlop price, bringing tires over in one of their containers, - and they bother communicate about their trials tires - they could sell a decent number of tires here. They may, like many Europeans, think the low volume US market sucks. They are right, but still there are opportunities, despite this being a huge country with a few cheap bastardos riding trials.

I was watching a 2014 UK trials video and look into rider's vans, seeing things like whole spare rear wheels! Who over here drives around with a spare wheel?

I'd switch. I sure like the Michelins, but I hate having it stuck into me from the backside when buying one.

motobene screwed with this post 03-17-2015 at 07:31 AM
Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
pampmyride
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've run a few of the GT355 rears for the last year or so. See blog. Can't get the 355 now. Seems the GT555/6 in the new one now, but so far not available just yet.
pampmyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
motobene OP
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampmyride View Post
I've run a few of the GT355 rears for the last year or so. See blog. Can't get the 355 now. Seems the GT555/6 in the new one now, but so far not available just yet.
Nice blog report. Looks like the 355 and improved versions would rank right up there with the best.

You are in UK where you can get more variety of things than we in USA. Still don't know where to get them in USA, and the Facebook reply from Golden Tyre of "see reply" has put me in an endless loop. They are not so good at marketing communication, apparently.