User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
LSMick OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
04 Gasser carb questions ??

It's a 04 TXT 300. It is a bear to start but once it's running it runs OK. I put a new plug in and cleaned the carb out and it was still hard to start. Then I found an air leak at the base of the reed manifold. So I put in a new set of reeds and fixed the air leak. To start it after that, it had to have the throttle wide open and took about 10 kicks. So I revisited the carb and it has a 118 main and a 38 low speed jets in it. The needle is set at the second from the top setting. It has been hard to start from the beginning and yes I have played with all the settings. There are no Gas Gas shops near here that I know of. ( KC area )

I'm having fun but it wears me out starting it. Is the main too big? It's getting spark, has compression so must be fuel.

Thanks in advance, please be kind, I have a weak heart.
LSMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
LSMick OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Never mind, I think I found it.
LSMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
cool. FYI - the choke is only effective with the throttle closed. If the carb is flooding, check to make sure the floats arent upside down and the fuel needle valve isnt leaking when closed. (bad seal/spring)
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #4
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,517
Here is what I have generally found with Dell'Ortos:

The Dell'Orto carb is a great, but there are a couple of quirks that are irritating. Almost always the pilot jet is a tad small, 36 instead of 38. The start jet at 60 (0.6mm = 0.024") is too lean on all the bikes. This results in cold weather starting bing a too-many-kicks affair, especially in early cold season if you have the lower volatility 'summer gas' still in the bike.

You should be able to start your bike cold, first or second kick, every time.

The Dell'Orto carbs should all come with an 80 (0.8mm = 0.031") starter jet (it's the really long brass jet with an o-ring on it). You can make your own from your 60 with a 1/32" drill. Put the jet in the drill chuck and hold the drill bit in a vice. Better yet do it on a lathe. Drill gently, retract, and don't dwell.

There are tricks to cold weather starting with a 60 starter jet. Turn the fuel on, lay the bike in its side and jostle it holding it just off the ground by one grip. A bit to added fuel will slosh into the venturi. Stand the bike up and kick start. It'll make a big difference.

The best way use start a bike with an 80-based Dell'Orto is shut the choke off right after it starts, then hold your finger under the choke lever and simply pulse it every now and then until the engine warms enough to sustain the burn off idle, then ride off to warm up. Pulsing is typically no longer than like three pulses over 20 seconds for my bikes. Pulsing prevents over-rich running after starting in warm weather.

Hope this mess helps.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #5
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Sounds like he got it sorted, but given the fact that he has (had) to hold the throttle wide open, I doubt it was from being too lean. He is using a 38 pilot as well. I like a 40 in the Dell. Heck could be improper plug gap for all we know. I think the manual of that year had it wrong.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #6
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Sounds like he got it sorted, but given the fact that he has (had) to hold the throttle wide open, I doubt it was from being too lean. He is using a 38 pilot as well. I like a 40 in the Dell. Heck could be improper plug gap for all we know. I think the manual of that year had it wrong.
Yeah, I just tossed that one in here because the too-lean starter circuit is a very common problem for cold starting.

Righto, the 40 is a better choice for some bikes. They are all individuals. I see where the fuel screw ends up and if it has to go open more than (what was it) 2-1/2 turns to be right most of the time, the 40 is a better choice.

His may be a rich condition, caused by ?? as the way to start a bike that has flopped over in a crash and sloshed added fuel into the venture is to hold the throttle open on the first kick or two.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote