User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 198
Trials bike prices

I'm trying to get my hands on a decent bike to get into trials, but prices are keeping me from doing that.

Let me see if I've sized up the situation correctly:

For used: It seems like the only cheaper bikes are old twin shock bikes from the 70s and 80s, and the modern monoshock style bikes are >$4000 95% of the time.
For new: Just about everything around 200ccs is >$7000.

Are there any "budget" trials bikes out there? Like my cheap CRF250L for dual sport bikes?
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,056
Trials is a small market that has seen new-bike prices more than double in a decade. There are deals out there in the moderns, but you have to sniff them out. The ideal situation is someone who hasn't ridden their bike in a while and isn't aware of used-bike price inflation.

Seek the newest thing you can find, say 2004+ and the newer the better. An always avoid the beater bikes. It is better to go back a few years to get a nice one than to go forward a few years and buy one thoroughly thrashed and not well maintained. Some bikes are well used but also well maintained. Overlook the scratches and ask about things like suspension and swing arm bearings maintenance. The great bikes will have scratches all over but be little gems, because it was the owners precious ride, and he or she cared about what's important, taking care of the core, not leaving it stored with mud caked on, lubing, etc.

And welcome! Trials is worth paying up for.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 277
There will be something cheaper than that if you keep looking, the shercos have been out nearly 15 years now rev 3 betas 10+ you will find something.
They struggle to make 800 on ebay some of them in perfect working order, I went to look at a 250 sherco a 2003 was near Redcar i missed the end of the auction it went for 810 only a few months ago it was not 100% but it was well tidy and worked great guy was genuine i was up for it.
look and think how can it be worth selling them at the prices they make some times. Keep looking. I am on for another 250 -290 something like that for when the kids can use the 125s+ in a couple of years, as it is now i will lose my imaculate rev 3 so i got to find them something soon.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
There are many quality trials bikes in the $1,800 to $3,000 range. Your just not looking in the right areas.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post

Seek the newest thing you can find, say 2004+ and the newer the better. An always avoid the beater bikes. It is better to go back a few years to get a nice one than to go forward a few years and buy one thoroughly thrashed and not well maintained. Some bikes are well used but also well maintained. Overlook the scratches and ask about things like suspension and swing arm bearings maintenance. The great bikes will have scratches all over but be little gems, because it was the owners precious ride, and he or she cared about what's important, taking care of the core, not leaving it stored with mud caked on, lubing, etc.

And welcome! Trials is worth paying up for.
Heh-heh. I just gave away one that meets one or the other of these descriptions. We loved these bikes and thrashed them, made one keeper out of two, and the other goes to a friend we hope will get the bug.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
There are many quality trials bikes in the $1,800 to $3,000 range. Your just not looking in the right areas.
Those places would be....
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Local trials clubs, trials dealers and trials specific repair shops, CL National search...Internet world. If you want something bad enough, you find a way...to find it.

Good luck with your search.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
http://www.searchtempest.com/search?...00&maxAsk=3200

You have to do a national search. All of a sudden riders have realized trials riders actually learn to ride. Everybody is buying the used bikes as a training tool.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
http://www.searchtempest.com/search?...00&maxAsk=3200

You have to do a national search. All of a sudden riders have realized trials riders actually learn to ride. Everybody is buying the used bikes as a training tool.
That's right! Some of the uptick in demand and prices may be related to all the success trials riders are having in the faster off road venues. If you watch those vids, like Hard Enduro and such, they mention trials a lot.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
SammyD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I just got a 2004 Gas Gas 280 TXT 280 Pro here in SoCal for $1,900. Not that it's been without a few teething problems... I also got a '97 Beta Techno for $1,500 which is a truly wonderful machine. It's heavier, but climbs anything the Gasser can. Only hindrance is when trying to hop the bike.
SammyD is offline   Reply With Quote