Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #286
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Looking again, when the front tire hits the wall it screws it all up. Splatter it means front tire upppp!!!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #287
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,210
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Looking again, when the front tire hits the wall it screws it all up. Splatter it means front tire upppp!!!
Front tire didn't touch. I don't think.

I think the front tire lifted a few inches before the kicker and didn't get enough lift. No fork rebound off the rock.

Appreciate the analysis!

Right now, I am just glad to be trying it!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #288
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Front tire didn't touch. I don't think.

I think the front tire lifted a few inches before the kicker and didn't get enough lift. No fork rebound off the rock.

Appreciate the analysis!

Right now, I am just glad to be trying it!!
Sheeewt, Splatters skare the crap out of me, lol. I won't want you practicing all that stuff before my next visit anyhow.

PS dont he helping him Line-oh-way, lolz.

isn't a splatter when you have a thing you have to land near the top of, off a kicker that should propel you over the top? that was what the DVD (advanced techniques) from RYP was telling me, but hell I missread posts all the time, so who else has a copy?

If I assume I am right, then what he's trying to do is zap, with or without kicker (smash front wheel into near top, Rev & dumpclutch, zap over that small wall...

Splatter needs the kicker 3-4ft (eyballing a line at 45degree from top, makes the distance, if you had a tape-measure I'm thinking, from wall. the wall needs to be grassy on top and level, lol. Don't ask me why I think so, I've only tried the technique once myself, and that was after several hours making the wall, "into" the little bank/sloping hill between trees with 5 or 6 railroad ties LOL. same with that flip turn thingy you see the top riders do on a whim, I nearly paralyzed my left knee, havent tried that again for um, 6 or seven years.

we built that wall for a splatter, I tried it once. I can zap up it, so it is still cool.

Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #289
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post

Splatter needs the kicker 3-4ft (eyballing a line at 45degree from top, makes the distance
Having just ended the RYP school on Sunday with splatters, I agree. Based on Ryan's input, your kicker is too close. 45 degrees from top to kicker was his advice. He used similarly sized kickers - yours may be slightly larger. It looks to me like you are close - just need a little more wheelie. If the kicker was further, you might be hitting the way you want with the same amount of input. If video from that portion of the class surfaces (several people were shooting), I'll be sure to post.

I would start on the smaller wall too. That way you can get comfortable with the technique with a little less drama.

I thought I'd never try a splatter, but after watching Ryan's demo I jumped in line to try. It took several lousy attempts to man up and commit. Once I did, the small ones were surprisingly easy. I think it will translate up to bigger ones but didn't get to try.

Please be aware that this "advice" comes from a hack who's done exactly 3 successful small splatters.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #290
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I paused it over and over trying to see how the tire went lower instead of upward. Front tire hit before the rear wheel hit the rock. So I assume you have Ryans video?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #291
Gordy
Team Listo

Thanks for the good input guys!

If I understand the move right, the bike is supposed to come up and start rotating backwards and the back wheel contact is what stops the rotation and settles the bike.

I've watched guys do it endlessly and i think know what it is supposed to look like. Translating that into me doing that on this wall is intimidating.

I've done smaller (and farther) ones on rocks at our riding areas as well as the shorter railroad tie wall here. That hasn't went too bad.

That kicker in the vid is "technically" too close, but..........like I said, this wall is more intimidating than it looks. Obviously the yard is flat and the top tie is tilted back towards you. I know that shouldn't matter, but with the backwards tilt all I can see is me stuffing the wheel.

We don't always have the option of where the kicker is anyway when natural terrain is being used so I have moved these and played with angles a little to ride it different.

On the shorter wall, I can do better (like Lineaway said) with just one brick.

I built these just for this reason---to figure this out and I appreciate any input-I'm going to figure it out better or kill myself trying---and anyone who wants to give it a shot can come by anytime. I'll hold your beer.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #292
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I paused it over and over trying to see how the tire went lower instead of upward. Front tire hit before the rear wheel hit the rock. So I assume you have Ryans video?
That would make sense why the rear hit so low in that one.
You need to come by and beat on that wall with me.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #293
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Don`t you know splatters are hell on necks and backs! You should just be happy to get up that on a clean! Thanks for the invite, I`m sure we could get someone hurt.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #294
Gordy
Team Listo

I know, right? One day I can't ride because I am crippled and the next day I go stupid. Go figure.

In the meantime, I'm switching to Type F tranny oil to get some more snap out of the clutch. That will get that front wheel higher!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #295
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:

I know, right? One day I can't ride because I am crippled and the next day I go stupid. Go figure.

In the meantime, I'm switching to Type F tranny oil to get some more snap out of the clutch. That will get that front wheel higher!
LOOOLZZZZZ, it aint the bike or the clutch fluids, it is the size of your "mini-me's luggage container" on a splatter. our problem is we're closer to 50 years old than 10 years old, when I was closer to 10, I would try hard, not having that "nagging" little invisible old man on my shoulder saying, "Now, you friggin know if this goes wrong, it will take you several days to heal, Have you double checked your insurance policy lately, and what is your job's policy on missed work dayz??? let alone any parts (now that we're old it is 3times longer to heal than back then)..."
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #296
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
I built these just for this reason---to figure this out and I appreciate any input-I'm going to figure it out better or kill myself trying---and anyone who wants to give it a shot can come by anytime. I'll hold your beer.
Wait, sections aren't all designed to ensure that splatters always require the same distances/angles? Blasphemy!

You'll hold my beer, but will you pick up my plane ticket? Your yard looks fun!

Oh, and the wall looks plenty scary to me.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #297
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Humble Beginnings

It's a start!

A piece of 8x8 timber, a small log, and a downhill off-camber turn. Easy going counter clockwise, getting easier going clockwise:

Up the hill and over a drain pipe. Really easy:

And a turn up the top. This is not so easy, yet. I exit in good control about 50% of the time. Don't often hit that dead tree thing on the right:

And when I'm not out there the wildlife give it a go:

This is tons o' fun! I'm thinking a little 1 foot ledge somewhere would be neat.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #298
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Need to start some where. My yard dosent have any hills but I have a few boards down and thinking through my options right now. Should have something to post in the up comming weeks. Much like yours it is humble, better than nothing but still fun to play in.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #299
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Need to start some where. My yard dosent have any hills but I have a few boards down and thinking through my options right now. Should have something to post in the up comming weeks. Much like yours it is humble, better than nothing but still fun to play in.
Hey, don't worry about it. I think a guy could go to (in our club) about the amateur level just by mastering the driveway and the curb. Ever try to grind a curb?
I still spend lots of time doing figure 8s in the paved driveway. I should be learning bike positioning more and all I need is a driveway to do that too, but I am easily sidetracked sometimes by one silly rock!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #300
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 631
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post

our problem is we're closer to 50 years old than 10 years old,
I'm a lot closer to 50 than 10!
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote