Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #16
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Thanks, I'll get to the JBR and North Road soon, you'll be doing it reverse but same info applies, just backwards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
Don, great report so far... I have already subscribed.. I am planning a ride from NH Via North Road to Radisson etc... so I have a vested interest in getting all the details from your trip!
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,320
I've become a James Bay and Trans-Lab RR junkie (until my time comes), so keep this coming.

Also, maybe you could throw in some comments about the gear and equipment you used?
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #18
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
This has everything I need......

Jeff Beck on the Ipod, motorcycles, isolated locale, and the Aurora Borealis to boot!

AWESOME!
K75STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #19
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Matagami - The Breakdown

Woke the next morning, the bike started well then, it wouldn't start. No power at all. Oh boy. This is the part of a ride report I like reading, but that's when it happens to someone else! Oh well, that's karma for you.

Quickly located the problem, a fuse was blowing. Hey wait a minute, that's not the problem, it's just preventing a meltdown.

Quickly setup the garage, rain had stopped but could start up like that. Unloaded and got out tools first, aarrggggg.

Thought maybe water had gotten into the ignition, nope.

Tried everything I could think of. Scott had some extra 20a fuses and I spent those troubleshooting. Then I walked around the camp looking for more fuses or ideas. I met a guy, Paul who runs a transportation company. He was bent on getting the bike running but couldn't find the issue. He called his wife in town to pickup a lot more fuses.

I ended up throwing in the towel about mid day, I was very glad this didn't happen just 1 hour later, I was literally ready to head up the James Bay Road, wow, only 1 service station 235 miles away. I mean I was packed and leaving the campground.

Paul gives me a name who gives me another name and I get a lift into town with the local ATV, boat and motorcycle shop. Geoff shows up with his buddy and lift the bike on the truck. I helped a little but another rider camping there on a KTM 990 Adventure helped out. These bikes are popular up here, I see them everywhere.

Back in town, Geoff says his guy will look at it first thing in the morning. It's late anyway. I walk by the shop next morning and hear my bike running! WOW.

But, this was short lived and after looking over everything, they call the Kawasaki dealer for another schematic. Then the news, Geoff says they can't help me. I need to go 211km to Amos and the Kawa dealer who has diagnostic equipment.

Here's Geoff (right) and Mike, the guy Geoff says is amazing with electronics.

Now to get me, the bike and my luggage about 130 miles, wow I call AMA for my tow insurance. I'm covered. Geoff finds what he calls a deal and within an hour I'm loading all my stuff into this delivery truck.

This is the driver,

The guy is INSANE! Drives fast and I was only one of many stops on his route. Over the next 4 hours, I'm riding with a chain smoking, non-English speaking, Pepsi chugging maniac wondering how my bike will stay in once piece back there. We stop every where, many times I need to get out of the truck and wait behind a fence because it's authorized only access. He would tell me "ohwe". I started thinking this means "out" in French. I got my dictionary out but couldn't find it. He stopped everywhere, lumber mills, mining facilities, you name it.

I try to explain to the guy that I need to get to the Kawa dealer before they close, so I can get my bike in the shop before they lock up. No comprend pas. I also was wondering what he was saying with "ohwe". He said this when cars were in his way, when he dropped something, when he saw a note for a pickup, he saw a pretty girl, turns to me smiles and says "ohweee". What is this word. I think it's the swiss army knife of words, means a little of everything. Pretty efficient.

We end up getting to the shop at 6pm. They close at 6pm but tonight they were late closing so I lucked out! I stashed my stuff in a locked room, the bike was in the shop and first thing in the morning, a technician would look at the bike.

Total cost for the ride: $40! Whew, even though it's supposedly covered, I was worried. I checked into a motel, didn't have a way to get camping stuff to the local campground.

Spent the evening thinking about my situation, what was I going to do if they said, it's working, we're not sure why but it's OK. Or if something blew and they fixed it but weren't sure why. Would I take a bike on the James Bay and North Road like that? No.

At least there was a cool coffee shop I could ponder these questions.

Saw a little more of Amos.

Sale on fishing gear... would I get to fish on this trip?

Next morning I arrive and good news, fixed! Was a bare turn signal wire! Man I was kicking myself, I had that wire in my hand. It was inside a small channel in front of steering column, not easy to find. Took Mathew about an hour and a half to find. This guy got me back on the road. Nice fellow as well, he drove me to the hotel the night before and we spent time talking about various things. He's been to West Virginia, loves Cabela's. I told him not to look for small chord there. Big thanks to Mathew
(btw I get these big smiles from the French-speaking by saying "ok say fromage!", cliche joke but it works )

So now I would go back to Matagami, and start up the JBR. This was conclusive enough for me not to worry about the bike making it.

While riding to Matagami, I did think about breaking down and getting stranded; the part I fear the most is my stuff getting stolen while leaving the bike for help. I thought about hiding the stuff then marking it on the GPS and getting it later. Or, just not carry any expensive things that I can't carry in my jacket and tank bag.

Also noticed, my iPod is unresponsive! AHHH, that's almost worse than the KLR dying. I think the rains had gotten to it. My cellphone screen was fogged up and I txt'd wrong people a few times because I couldn't see exactly who I was texting. The passport and wallet in my "waterproof" pockets were wet. Anyway these things are behind me and now I run the JBR.

donnymoto screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 02:07 PM
Old 08-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #20
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K75STER
This has everything I need......

Jeff Beck on the Ipod, motorcycles, isolated locale, and the Aurora Borealis to boot!

AWESOME!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
ky2008
2008KLR

Oddometer: 111
Awesome RR! Thanks for sharing. Subscribed
ky2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #22
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
I'm gonna like this one, i'm planning on doing th JBR next year!! BOOOYAH!!
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Great report

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #24
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
I'm gonna like this one, i'm planning on doing th JBR next year!! BOOOYAH!!
Kewl... I am planning on doing it too... You doing the JB or are you adding in the Route Du Nord??

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #25
zaner32
In over my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
Kewl... I am planning on doing it too... You doing the JB or are you adding in the Route Du Nord??
Hopefully both! Gotta plan to carry some gas on the north road. I've been wanting to do this trip for two years, but sickness in the family is holding me back for now.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #26
zaner32
In over my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymoto
Matagami - The Breakdown

I try to explain to the guy that I need to get to the Kawa dealer before they close, so I can get my bike in the shop before they lock up. No comprend pas. I also was wondering what he was saying with "ohwe". He said this when cars were in his way, when he dropped something, when he saw a note for a pickup, he saw a pretty girl, turns to me smiles and says "ohweee". What is this word. I think it's the swiss army knife of words, means a little of everything. Pretty efficient.
His "ohweee" probably has the same sense as New York's use of "Fogedaboudit". You can use the word to express several senses. Basically, the quick translation is "oh, yeah".

Lookin' at a nice girl---- OOOOh YEah!! OOOOhWEEee!!

responding in disbelief ----ooOOOh YEEAAaah!! ooOOOhWEEee!!

I have a good old friend that lives in Amos. I haven't been up there since about 94. He use to live in St-Dominique du Rosaire. I laughed so hard when I visited St-Dominique because the welcome sign also has the local population. My friend thought that the population amount also included all the pets in the community!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #27
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
Hopefully both! Gotta plan to carry some gas on the north road. I've been wanting to do this trip for two years, but sickness in the family is holding me back for now.
Sorry about the family sickness... hopefully all is well soon so you can live the dream... I am on a timeframe for next summer..

Now we can just sit back and wait for Don's update... and learn what we can...

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

RockyNH, ky2008, zaner32, BikePilot: thanks!

Zaner, that's a funny account on your friend in Amos! Also I took a gallon of extra fuel, didn't need it on the North Road at all, just as long as Relais Routier at Nemiscau is open and selling gas. I did go to reserve from Matagami to KM 381, and that was strange because I normally don't go to reserve in that range. I've got an interesting observation from another rider later on on that stretch of road and mileage.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #29
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh yea, it's only about 300km from Chibougamau to Relais Routier at Nemiscau. My bike did 58mpg along that stretch, slower speeds. I had about 1/3 a tank left after the longest stretch. Sorry I'm mixing miles and km, I haven't gotten all my stats from the trip into one format yet.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #30
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,541
Great read, keep it coming.

Glad to hear you made it home safely.

Keep it coming!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote