Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #46
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymoto
Yes that was a jem of a site, perfect size for a motorcycle! That night I slept so sound that when I woke I wasn't sure where I was. Home? Motel? Virginia? Then it hit, was on my dream ride.
I hope to find a couple places like then to camp when I go... Couple questions (well 3)

What were the dates of your Adventure??

What were the coldest temps...

How were the Black flies etc (they were brutal in Labrador last month..)

Thanks, and love the ride report and the photo's are excellent!

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #47
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Glad you're enjoying it RockyNH, it's a lot of fun to re-live the ride in this report.

Dates: Aug 6-20. The day above was 8/13

Coldest was 36 degrees in Radisson, but night before on the Rupert was probably only 60, I woke up pretty warm that night. However I believe the temps will be going down soon. You have this link?

No black flies now, just a few skeeters and nats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
I hope to find a couple places like then to camp when I go... Couple questions (well 3)

What were the dates of your Adventure??

What were the coldest temps...

How were the Black flies etc (they were brutal in Labrador last month..)

Thanks, and love the ride report and the photo's are excellent!
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #48
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Radisson

There are 4 big things I wanted to accomplish in this trip. I've done one, 1) the James Bay Road. The next is to get out to 2) Longue Pointe, the place I originally saw on the satellite photo with the large canoes, way up here on the Arctic Ocean. The 3rd was to visit 3) Chisasibi and see how they really pronounce it. :) Then, 4) The North Road.

First I would spend the night in Radisson after the cool JBR ride. Turnoff the JBR to go 4km to Radisson;

Ate some Walleye here. Haven't caught any yet, of course I haven't fished much either. I was eating and a guy who stopped to talk to me at 381, said well hello! We chatted some more about the ride and area. He was there with his wife who spoke no English but smiled a lot, I suspect she understood a lot.

Setup camp, great campground!

Grabbed a shower. When I got out, a fellow walks in. We look at each other, he was in the Matagami campground when I broke down. We chatted a while, he's up here camping with family from Montreal.

Stop to smell the... whatever it is

Another casualty of the trip, my Coleman X LED lantern. Collapsible, and great except right after taking this pic, it started shutting off by itself. Pretty soon it wouldn't stay on longer than 5 seconds. Filed that in the trash bin.

Got a nice fire going.

So I go to the tent, snooze a little then wake for a nature break and look into the sky, wow, the milky way is bright! Satellites then shooting stars. Probably stragglers from the previous morning's Pleiades shower. This was cool. I grab the camera, I had the tripod packed but it was one of the things I gave up to loose some weight. Then I noticed when reviewing this long exposure pic that there was a green glow. Hope Homer isn't running the local nuclear plant! Nope, there isn't a nuclear plant, it's hydro up here.

So I start scanning the skies more, it's getting late, after midnight. Then this.

And this; aurora borealis.

Finally, the finale, a quarter moon rose to the east. What a show! Wish I could've gotten the focus better, it's a challenge in the dark. But you get the idea, was a fantastic night.

donnymoto screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 08:15 AM
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #49
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
Nice report.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #50
SleazyRider
Desolate Loner

Oddometer: 161
Hey! I saw you up there!

Unless someone else was riding a red KLR with panniers, I passed you while going north right after the rupert river bridge. WISH i had brought a fishing pole and had more time to spend up there.

Enjoying your pics and report.

keep em coming.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #51
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks GreenFlyFarmner.

SleazyRider: What? Small world for sure! Yes if I was going south at the Rupert, it was a bit "brisk" that morning. I was coming from Radisson and would end up at Chibougamau that night. Will checkout your report!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #52
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 994
Great riding and great camping. No wonder the "hotels" had vacancies with camping like that!
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #53
Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer: 568
Fantastic!

Great seeing the NC12 sticker on your pannier way up north

In for the rest
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #54
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying it RockyNH, it's a lot of fun to re-live the ride in this report.

Dates: Aug 6-20. The day above was 8/13

Coldest was 36 degrees in Radisson, but night before on the Rupert was probably only 60, I woke up pretty warm that night. However I believe the temps will be going down soon. You have this link?

No black flies now, just a few skeeters and nats.
Ok, thanks!! Sounds good.. I would likely go 1st week of July... will check the weather the.. 50 - 60 is not bad at all, 36 is chilly!!

Skeeters and gnats I can live with..

Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #55
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
There are 4 big things I wanted to accomplish in this trip. I've done one, 1) the James Bay Road. The next is to get out to 2) Longue Pointe, the place I originally saw on the satellite photo with the large canoes, way up here on the Arctic Ocean. The 3rd was to visit 3) Chisasibi and see how they really pronounce it. :) Then, 4) The North Road.
Setup camp, great campground!

So I start scanning the skies more, it's getting late, after midnight. Then this.
aurora borealis.

I have some similar goals Donny.... I do need to talk to you about the specific campgrounds you found.. they look like great places so maybe we can hook up after your ride report... lets see if I can have 4 goals??

1. North Road (My friend Thane did it last year)
2. End of James Bay Road - to be able to say I wnt as far as the road goes
3. Actually touch foot in the James Bay... (entails a visit to Chisasibi also..)
4. Northern Lights!! Your pics are Superb....

On any trip, there is a flavor of the culture of the people that I feel is important, and I have been trying to learn about about the Cree people and look forward to that interaction..

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #56
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
I have some similar goals Donny.... I do need to talk to you about the specific campgrounds you found.. they look like great places so maybe we can hook up after your ride report
Sure thing, I marked some waypoints along the trip of other cool camp spots that I didn't go to, but for return trips. Ping me in a week or so on that via PM and when I get those downloaded I'll get it together.

Thanks, FF Burger, good to have you on board.

Elkhound!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #57
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Longue Pointe-Nunavut Territory / Chisasibi / Back to Radisson

Took off to get on the road early headed to Longue Point. It was a brisk 36 degrees but I pitched the tent so that first light hits it from the NE. Sure enough at 6:30 I was absorbing the sunrays while cooking eggs and coffee for breakfast. Weather couldn't be better, for any of the days I wished for good weather, it would be the next 2. I'll end up getting what I wish for.

Turnoff from the JBR to Chisasibi.

Cross over LG1 (La Grande hydro plant)

It's funny, all my battery powered electronics were fully charged after riding across this dam.

48km to Longue Point.

Some sleds on the side of the road.

Oh boy, lunch time!

I'm here!!!

This is the place I first saw on satellite photo months back and said to myself, I will ride there. Was an incredible feeling! Here's the image I saw months ago;

Freighter Canoes, look like they get the job done.

Also lots of snowmobiles.

A reminder I can't fish or hunt here.

Rode over to the south harbor and parked. Coords: 53.96982 -79.08058

Of the entire trip, this and the North Road topped the whole thing. I had lunch here and spend a few hours. Took another nap, no bugs this time. Here's a few photos. Stood in the Arctic Ocean!

Explored more stuff,

OK you guys lead the way...

Strange thing, no one was out here. There were parked cars, I assume guides took sports out. Had the place to myself.

OK, now to Chisasibi. Lets make some time! Shot over the shoulder looking back.

On the way out, there was a picnic table and sign, that you sign as a visitor. Figured this was a good spot to open the coffee bar. And sign the sign.

Upper left, vertically aligned, I knew the sharpie would come in handy somewhere.

Here's a challenge to ADVriders, sign your adv name next to mine.

Now that I've got another shot of caffeine, Chisasibi.

Cree is cool.

Outside the admin center, I seem to teenagers, I was asked many times where I am from and why I came here. This dude was especially friendly. I found it's pronounced Chi SA SAH bi. "Sasabi" is river, "Chi" is big. Big River. OK now I can go, got what I was looking for :))

Stopped in the admin building to get some info. I was told they were on "Indian Summer" hours, it was 2:45pm and they'd gone home. This is my kind of place! Inside the big teepee:

Looking out the building in the back is a shopping center with bank, government services and hotel. Lots of old dudes hanging out in there. I went shopping for some small metric screws. Started to drizzle.

Local flavor

Off to the James Bay again, this time at the Chisasabi harbor.

Made some dinner here. Was going to camp but bugs were in force and I enjoyed the Radisson camp so much I decided to go back.

Before I left, some other riders showed up. 2 were out in the water! I heard yelling. Turns out some riders from Ontario were here. A dad, his son and 2 friends. I would share a camp fire with them this evening. And 2 additional riders.

Road back was... mmm... let's call it sweet!

Back at camp, I got a spot next to 2 New Englanders, Scott and Barry. They'd been at the same Rupert River camp the night after I was there. Then they were here, tomorrow they would mirror my ride of today but add on the Hydro Electric tours. The tour is one of the things I gave up to make up time and stay on my schedule.

We sat around their fire, then the Ontario riders showed up. Talked a lot about things like AutoCad, Pink Floyd on Quad sound systems, biking of course and other things. Nice night with the kind of riders you always hope to meet along the way.

I brought up that I didn't get my normal mileage on the trip from Matagami (start of the JBR) to the fuel stop at KM 381. Was a bit lower. Barry had noted the same thing and had an idea that possibly the gas from the Shell in Matagami wasn't that clean, or somehow didn't perform that well. Makes sense to me since all the other legs of the trip, my mileage was normal.

Cheers guys! Stellar day!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #58
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Radisson / Chibougamau

Lets start by saying it was a 500 mile day. Loved every minute. Didn't plan on it but once on the North Road, I didn't want it to stop so I kept riding.
Barry and Scott happened to be heading out the same time, we tanked up and I followed them a ways.

Later dudes! They were off to Longue Pointe and the LG1 tour.

It's off to fill up at KM 381

At the same turnoff I saw the cloned Xterra, I noticed a lot of fishing vehicles, they were having a Walleye tourny. I pulled over and started chatting with this fellow from Wemindji. Talked about fishing boats and traveling. The advantages of living this far north, conversation went on for about 30 minutes. Nice folks up here. The men here are proud hunters.

Back on the road, I had a tailwind again! The travel gods are on my side again. It started out clear and I was thinking, "I hope we get some scattered showers to keep dust down on the North Road". What, the... scattered showers came!!! Cranked down on the throttle some more!

Here it is, the North Road! (an angelic ahhhhhh)

Now for the best riding of the trip. I would ride the entire length to Chibougamau. I didn't plan it that way, I just couldn't stop, was enjoying it so much.

This road ranged from 25–65mph, some spots soft, others bumpy and other was packed and ready for speed. Just a wonderful ride along remote landscapes.

Rode through Nemaska just to do it.

Sandy roads

No restaurants.

Back on the road I stop at Relais Routier Nemiscau. How remote can it be, you can get Breyers OR Ben & Jerry's out here. This is on the base of another very large electric facility.

After a samich, back on the road, so much fun on the KLR!

Again, the Rupert River. Stopped to open the KLR Coffee Bar again. 1 customer.

Mighty river, at least for now. If you go next year, chances are it won't look like this.

Time to ride!

OK so 2-wheel travel can come in a few flavors. This guy from Connecticut started on July 1 and did the Trans-Taiga! Zak, you rock man! He was carrying a large pot, lots of rice, a cheap camp pad and other essentials. Wow. He builds a fire to make his meals. No stove. He's powered by rice. I'm powered by 89 Octane and java.

OK, I didn't stop to get the obligatory moose signs that were everywhere, like Moose Crossing next 2 km. So the moose will only cross in the next 2 km then it's OK? But this one I had to get. Not even sure why it was there.

Dusk on the North Road is magical, love riding this time of night. And it's ok, I won't hit a moose, the last sign was at least 10 km ago so there's no chance of a moose jumping out in front of me!

So I finished. I LOVED that ride. Now to Chibougamau under a darkening sky. 9:30pm.

donnymoto screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 08:26 AM
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #59
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I was so buzzed by the North Road that I almost ran it back to the JBR the next day. I had some decisions to make. Miss Lac St Jean and the Saguenay area to run the North Road once more? I chose to continue on and see the St Lawrence. Got a hotel this time, I was tired and in need of sanitization. Found a place where I could park in front of my room. Was gated but a small door was open and riffraff walked by all night. I pulled everything not lockable into the room.

A also didn't need my $2.50 gas can so I set it just outside the gate as a freebie, was gone in 5 minutes. Photo buffs; notice the bad barrel distortion on my cheap camera.

Not a good paparazzi but grabbed a shot of this tike signing Jingle Bells over and over in the lobby. Was waiting for them to unlock the gate so I could leave.

They did. Chibougamau:

Chibougamau campground, manicured!

Leaving town.

Even the ATV and Snowmobile trails have signs. I rode this short one, he he.

Wonderful, mysterious riding weather. Not hot!

Headed down this road, loops back to the main one.

Skies cleared as I got to Lake St. Jean. Mid afternoon so you know what that means,

She spoke 0 English however I managed to fumble around with French enough to get coffee with chocolate raspberry cake. Another paparazzi shot but this time I steadied the camera on the table.

Off to the local campground. I would meet Steve Martin here.

First a swim, water was absolutely fantastic. Swam for a quite while.

So some kids come up, love the bike and asked a lot of questions. Out with the French dictionary. Then they told their fathers about me and soon I was invited to Steve and Martins camp for drinks, fire and music. Oh no, I turned into the campers I hate that stay up and play loud music last curfew! AHHH. Here's Steve (r) and Martin (l). Was hilarious!

Steve drives a truck and Martin works in a warehouse. Both play guitar so we all talked about music, French Language, Obama, Quebec separating from Canada, Black Metal and a lot more. We're planning on meeting here next year, same day and time. Me with Martin. They actually were 2 wild and crazy guys!

Next morning, weather was clear, actually a tad warm. No sleeping bag last night. Days were noticeably shorter.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #60
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

The North Road!!

I cannot wait... great photos....