User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #166
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,000
Weather or not?

I've been looking at regional forecasts / weather where I speculate you two are....looks like some of the "white stuff" up further north...I'm really hoping that you are ahead of that! I'm sitting in Northern Texas and it feels like frikken winter right now! ....... "Sitting on the edge of my cell with my fingers crossed and anxiously waiting your next post." "BMWHACKER".
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #167
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
34c here today but I wouldn't count on it holding past the weekend.
It's been a really weird fall this year and I suspect that it'll change in a big hurry (like a bunch of snow or a hard freeze) when it does.
GP640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #168
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

whether man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640
34c here today but I wouldn't count on it holding past the weekend.
It's been a really weird fall this year and I suspect that it'll change in a big hurry (like a bunch of snow or a hard freeze) when it does.

Good to hear from someone up north. I'm glad you are above normal there for now....let's hope the weather hangs in there for the "kids". I don't think they packed the tire chains......
Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #169
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quick Update

We did eventually make it to Whitehorse a few days ago but after hearing a nasty, grinding noise from the front wheel on the way from Dawson, I found a bit of a problem. I figured mud or dirt had found its way in between my pads (the bike was completely covered when we got off the Dempster and yes, Mr. COB, i did have to w@$h it a bit) but it turns out my pads were completely gone! I'm not talking a bit worn down - I'm talking gone. I'm aware that this can cause a serious problem with the rotor but a local bike shop in town had a quick look and said damage had not been done. Unfortunately, no one in town carried the replacement pads I needed and I had to make an order - we just got them in today. After prying apart the calipers to slide the new pads in (which was no easy task) the bike is back in running order. No grinding noise whatsoever. We'll be leaving town tomorrow early as we would love to avoid serious weather. Thanks for the concerns - we'll get a proper report up when we get a good connection somewhere down the road.

Matt and Kris

mightymatt43 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 10:49 AM
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #170
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Breezy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43
Quick Update

We did eventually make it to Whitehorse a few days ago but after hearing a nasty, grinding noise from the front wheel on the way from Dawson, I found a bit of a problem. I figured mud or dirt had found its way in between my pads (the bike was completely covered when we got off the Dempster and yes, Mr. COB, i did have to w@$h it a bit) but it turns out my pads were completely gone! I'm not talking a bit worn down - I'm talking gone. I'm aware that this can cause a serious problem with the rotor but a local bike shop in town had a quick look and said damage had not been done. Unfortunately, no one in town carried the replacement pads I needed and I had to make an order - we just got them in today. After prying apart the calipers to slide the new pads in (which was no easy task) the bike is back in running order. No grinding noise whatsoever. We'll be leaving town tomorrow early as we would love to avoid serious weather. Thanks for the concerns - we'll get a proper report up when we get a good connection somewhere down the road.

Matt and Kris
Forecast for Whitehorse:

Tonight
Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers early this evening. Clearing near midnight. Wind south 20 km/h becoming light late this evening. Low zero.
Thursday
Increasing cloudiness late in the morning. Wind becoming south 30 km/h late in the morning. High 9.
Thursday night
Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers before morning. Wind south 30 km/h becoming light after midnight. Low 6.
Friday
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. High 11.
Saturday
Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low plus 2. High 9.
Sunday
A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 4. High 8.
Monday
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Low minus 2. High 6.
Tuesday
Cloudy. Low minus 2. High 8.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #171
heindlengineeringura
svman00

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Quick Update

Matt and Kris
Matt, Glad to hear that the parts made it too you. Glad we could be of help to your trip.
Heidenau Tires
http://www.heindlengineering.com/Onl...enau_tires.htm
sales@heindlengineering.com
www.heindlengineering.com
heindlengineeringura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #172
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by heindlengineeringura
Matt, Glad to hear that the parts made it too you. Glad we could be of help to your trip.
On the road again........ Hopefully warm and dry......
Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #173
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
but it turns out my pads were completely gone! I'm not talking a bit worn down - I'm talking gone.
That is not unique to just Ural's Had the same happening to my "fancy-can-bus-controlled-high-tech-everything" '07 1200GSA on the Dalton.

Love y'alls ride report. Simply stunning photography Have tinkered with the idea of a hack, which is being rekindled as I read. My wife is gona kill me...

Safe riding,
Thomas
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #174
SW4006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
PURE. ENVY. Thank you!

I have a five year old. I started a money stash, and I don't care if I can only put away a dime at a time... We will go to Alaska on a Ural. He should be older when the dimes add up.

BTW, my wife and I were just reading and I have to say, post #151, Video 2:20... priceless and hilarious. My wife called it, "The disgusted long blinks."

Just remember, everytime you're tired, wet, cold, or hungry you are guaranteed solid memories...and someone is watching you wishing they were there too. "Soak" it all in, cause when it's over...it's over.
SW4006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #175
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW4006
PURE. ENVY. Thank you!

I have a five year old. I started a money stash, and I don't care if I can only put away a dime at a time... We will go to Alaska on a Ural. He should be older when the dimes add up.

BTW, my wife and I were just reading and I have to say, post #151, Video 2:20... priceless and hilarious. My wife called it, "The disgusted long blinks."

Just remember, everytime you're tired, wet, cold, or hungry you are guaranteed solid memories...and someone is watching you wishing they were there too. "Soak" it all in, cause when it's over...it's over.

I would like to have the honor of adding to the fund....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
Old 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #176
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Hope you two are okay and still having fun.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #177
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercylinder
Hope you two are okay and still having fun.
+1

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #178
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS
+1
Check their blog link..all is well.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
Old 10-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #179
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Entry 20

And now, back to a proper report:
When we finally did get off the Dempster, we headed into Dawson for the night - covered in mud. The next morning, we woke up early and headed to Whitehorse.

We were once again warned to watch out for the wildlife, because a motorcyclist had been killed by hitting a buffalo just a few days earlier.

On the way, however, we started hearing a horrible, grinding noise coming from the front wheel. Seeing as the bike was still partially covered in mud (even though I had sprayed it off a bit), I just figured that a bit of dirt had become lodged in between the brake pads. When we got to Whitehorse, I was greeted with a horrible realization.

What pads?

(to clarify, this picture was taken a couple days later after sitting on the floor of the sidecar in the rain)

So, I phoned up Heindl Engineering, who has turned out to be my most trusted source for parts on this trip. He had some new pads shipped quickly and after a couple of days we were back on the road again. I do need to point out that Whitehorse is home to one of the shadiest institutions I've seen in awhile. This hotel was down the street from where we were staying and I was offered some "services" while Kristen and I walked past one evening. I mean, my wife was right there!

Stay away from this place:

We then drove through Watson Lake, Fort Nelson and Dawson Creek again with some pretty nasty weather along the way. Cold!

On the way from Watson Lake to Fort Nelson (which is the best stretch of that highway IMO) we did almost have an accident. We have a communications system (autocom - no longer in business apparently) and were listening to a podcast called Stuff You Should Know (which is really great for road trips, if you're interested) when all of a sudden the loudest, most shrill, hellish sound came screaming through our headphones. I literally saw white spots and almost wrecked the bike while trying to get off the road to unplug myself. I don't know what happened, but we both ripped the comm stuff out of our helmets right then and there.

On the way to Dawson Creek, we met an extraordinary guy named Ed Gold. It has been a long time since we've been enraptured by any person. Ed is a Bristish documentary photographer who encapsulates the description "adventurer". Check out his stuff at www.edgold.co.uk.

Anyway, after Dawson Creek, we made the decision to go back through Jasper and Banff as it seemed like the most direct (and scenic) route to get back to Montana as we wanted to see my aunt and uncle again.

So, we headed into the mountains...

mightymatt43 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 10:49 AM
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #180
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,160
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote