ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #2041
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Laugh

lol i just posted my wr250r in the same place a few pages back lol
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #2042
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,681
Monument Rocks.

The Monuments are a really awesome place, close to dead center of the Great Plains.

It went to auction last summer.
The 13,000-acre Pyramid Ranch also includes fossil finds and two graves of U.S. Calvary soldiers. It was considered a territorial marker and spiritual site for Native Americans.

Courtesy of Hays Daily News)
With an asking price of $11 million, Norman Nelson wasnt at all interested in taking a closer look at the famed Pyramid Ranch in southwest Gove County.
I said at $10 million, Id go look at it, said Nelson, a Norton resident whose current ownership interests include First State Bank and extensive landholdings in Norton, Trego and Russell counties.
The rest of the story, as they say, now is history, and Nelson has agreed to purchase the 12,900-acre ranch, which includes Monument Rocks deemed a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service and one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas.
Nelson, in a telephone interview from Florida, agreed the Pyramids, as theyre called by area residents, truly are a state wonder.
Hes not sure, however, what the access will be once the sale is completed.
At the moment, there is total access to Monument Rocks, he said. Im now sure what were going to do.
He said that out of concern over liability, raised when seller J.M. Theis, Topeka, told Nelson about an incident several years ago, when someone climbed to the top of the rocks and fell to his death.
At this moment, theyre open to the public, he said. Were not sure what to do. It would probably be smart to put up a good fence. Let the people look at them, but not go around them.
A main county road splits the rocks, which has shared its 8 Wonders designation with Castle Rock in the eastern part of the county.
While Nelson has looked at the ranch before, this time around, all the papers have been signed and only the legal research needs to be completed.
I guess its going to happen, he said.
Nelson crossed paths with Pyramid Ranch a few years ago, when a friend suggested it might be for sale.
I couldnt get a straight answer from anyone, Nelson said of the situation at the time. I just gave up the idea of buying it.
So much so he didnt even get involved when there was a public auction of the ranch last fall, an auction that fetched a bid of $8.5 million. That bid, however, was deemed unacceptable by family members, who ended up putting the ranch though the corporation owned all of the land up for sale through private treaty.
But thats when Warren Bullock, the Norton resident who first suggested Nelson look at the ranch, suggested he might contact the owners again.
Nelson then contacted Theis, whose family has owned the ranch for years.
Thats when the exchange about the price started.
Much like the auction, Nelson will be buying the entire ranch 12,900 acres and most of the mineral rights with it. The land itself actually is owned by the Pyramid Ranch Corp.
Its all owned by the corporation, and Im buying the corporation entirely, he said.
He plans to use the ranch as part of his ranching organization.
He owns the former Running W Grazing Association in Trego County, where hes built a 6,000-head feedlot he fills with his own cattle. He also owns a ranch near Paradise.
He owns land in Norton County, much of it irrigated, but most of it is farmed by his son and grandson.
The Pyramid Ranch, he said, is cross-fenced into six pastures and will be able to support anywhere from 1,300 to 1,600 cow-calf pairs.
Hes also planning to expand oil exploration operations beyond the three wells already located on the ranch.
Nelson said hes already been told by an oil man he could recover the purchase price through the sale of mineral rights.
Hes hopeful the ranch purchase was a good move.
You dont want to piss away $10 million for nothing, Nelson said.

Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2043
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
The Monuments are a really awesome place, close to dead center of the Great Plains.

It went to auction last summer.
The 13,000-acre Pyramid Ranch also includes fossil finds and two graves of U.S. Calvary soldiers. It was considered a territorial marker and spiritual site for Native Americans.

Courtesy of Hays Daily News)
With an asking price of $11 million, Norman Nelson wasnt at all interested in taking a closer look at the famed Pyramid Ranch in southwest Gove County.
I said at $10 million, Id go look at it, said Nelson, a Norton resident whose current ownership interests include First State Bank and extensive landholdings in Norton, Trego and Russell counties.
The rest of the story, as they say, now is history, and Nelson has agreed to purchase the 12,900-acre ranch, which includes Monument Rocks deemed a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service and one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas.
Nelson, in a telephone interview from Florida, agreed the Pyramids, as theyre called by area residents, truly are a state wonder.
Hes not sure, however, what the access will be once the sale is completed.
At the moment, there is total access to Monument Rocks, he said. Im now sure what were going to do.
He said that out of concern over liability, raised when seller J.M. Theis, Topeka, told Nelson about an incident several years ago, when someone climbed to the top of the rocks and fell to his death.
At this moment, theyre open to the public, he said. Were not sure what to do. It would probably be smart to put up a good fence. Let the people look at them, but not go around them.
A main county road splits the rocks, which has shared its 8 Wonders designation with Castle Rock in the eastern part of the county.
While Nelson has looked at the ranch before, this time around, all the papers have been signed and only the legal research needs to be completed.
I guess its going to happen, he said.
Nelson crossed paths with Pyramid Ranch a few years ago, when a friend suggested it might be for sale.
I couldnt get a straight answer from anyone, Nelson said of the situation at the time. I just gave up the idea of buying it.
So much so he didnt even get involved when there was a public auction of the ranch last fall, an auction that fetched a bid of $8.5 million. That bid, however, was deemed unacceptable by family members, who ended up putting the ranch though the corporation owned all of the land up for sale through private treaty.
But thats when Warren Bullock, the Norton resident who first suggested Nelson look at the ranch, suggested he might contact the owners again.
Nelson then contacted Theis, whose family has owned the ranch for years.
Thats when the exchange about the price started.
Much like the auction, Nelson will be buying the entire ranch 12,900 acres and most of the mineral rights with it. The land itself actually is owned by the Pyramid Ranch Corp.
Its all owned by the corporation, and Im buying the corporation entirely, he said.
He plans to use the ranch as part of his ranching organization.
He owns the former Running W Grazing Association in Trego County, where hes built a 6,000-head feedlot he fills with his own cattle. He also owns a ranch near Paradise.
He owns land in Norton County, much of it irrigated, but most of it is farmed by his son and grandson.
The Pyramid Ranch, he said, is cross-fenced into six pastures and will be able to support anywhere from 1,300 to 1,600 cow-calf pairs.
Hes also planning to expand oil exploration operations beyond the three wells already located on the ranch.
Nelson said hes already been told by an oil man he could recover the purchase price through the sale of mineral rights.
Hes hopeful the ranch purchase was a good move.
You dont want to piss away $10 million for nothing, Nelson said.

I'd heard rumors about it getting fenced off and not allowing any access on the land. I wondered how hard it would be to keep the fences up if that happened.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #2044
Sod Buster
prairie rider

If he fences the north south road that cuts through the monuments that will pretty much cut access. The closest you will get is about a half mile.

You really have to try hard to fall too your death in Kansas, I have been there many times and never had the urge to climb on them. It may be best to limit access the human erosion done over the years is noticeable, the monuments are made of fragile ancient sea floor.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #2045
Sod Buster
prairie rider

It sounds like if you have never been to Monument Rocks now would be the time to do it in case access is cut. It is worth seeing, the old B.O.D stage station was just to the west in view of the rocks.

From a half mile out if road is fenced.

If the road below is fenced there will be no access to the monuments.

This could be a close as you get.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #2046
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,634
All is not lost if the road gets fenced. At least we can still see them.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #2047
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
yes i probley shouldnt have parked my bike on it but i could not help my self i was there back in november of 2012

MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #2048
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Quote:
You really have to try hard to fall too your death in Kansas, I have been there many times and never had the urge to climb on them. It may be best to limit access the human erosion done over the years is noticeable, the monuments are made of fragile ancient sea floor.
Yes, mostly from elevators or windmills

I could see keeping people off the rocks though.

Quote:
It sounds like if you have never been to Monument Rocks now would be the time to do it in case access is cut. It is worth seeing, the old B.O.D stage station was just to the west in view of the rocks.
I've been past that way on the highway many times, I really need to make a dedicated trip down there. Maybe before it gets too hot this summer
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #2049
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,984
You blokes have private landowners owning National Monuments?!?!?!?!?!

And they personally decide on access or otherwise to these Monuments?!?!?!?!?!

I spose the only thing left is having to pay to see them.........NAH! That'd never happen.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #2050
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Kansas is a different animal, it has the least amount of public land in the U.S. it's pretty much all private property. I would imagine that when the smoke clears from the sale of the Pyramid Ranch that the Monuments will still be open. Folks just need to tread softly and treat them with a little respect.

Sod Buster screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 07:09 PM
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #2051
Sod Buster
prairie rider

I picked up this small note book at an estate sale, it has news paper articles from the 20s and 30s pasted in it from Kansas, news papers. It has some interesting stories relating to the great plains, this one go's a little into how much of this land became private property.

Wichita Eagle 1934

Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #2052
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Just a couple more pages, I hope this isn't to far out in left field for this thread. While not a picture of the great plains these articles do paint a picture of the Kansas portion of the Great Plains of that time.

Glasco Indian Raid.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #2053
Brakelate
Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Just a couple more pages, I hope this isn't to far out in left field

Excellent material Sod Buster. As I posted months ago, us lurkers do appreciate and enjoy it all. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #2054
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
You blokes have private landowners owning National Monuments?!?!?!?!?!

And they personally decide on access or otherwise to these Monuments?!?!?!?!?!

I spose the only thing left is having to pay to see them.........NAH! That'd never happen.
Well it's "deemed a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service" not a monument :) I have no idea what deeming it a National Natural Landmark actually does for it. I'd guess bragging rights.

Neat article Sod Buster.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #2055
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,634
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote