ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #286
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 995
Windmill Festival...............

Loup River Valley, Loup County, Nebraska...

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #287
46moo
Now with 2 cylinders

Oddometer: 414
Wow. Nice shot BB.

2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (traded)
46moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #288
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Fall Color..............

The landscape here in Nebraska is starting its fall color phase....

Starting with cultivated crops and grasses in September, then continuing with trees and bushes in early to mid October..

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

Buffalo Bill screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 05:27 AM
Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #289
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
awesome shot, SodBuster:

Did you take it this weekend? Sunflowers are very good this year around here.
Yes i took it over the weekend, i followed the B.O.D from Hays to the Colorado border again, trying to get material for a RR, that pic was in Trego County, Kansas.
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #290
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster
Yes i took it over the weekend, i followed the B.O.D from Hays to the Colorado border again, trying to get material for a RR, that pic was in Trego County, Kansas.
B.O.D.?

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #291
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Quote:
B.O.D.?

The B.O.D was the Butterfield Overland Despatch Stage that ran from the eastern most rail head as it was built across Kansas, and Colorado, to Denver it ran a few miles to around thirty miles south of I-70, in the late fiftys an old man traced it across Kansas while it was still visible and marked it with post rock carved with B.O.D 1865 where ever it crossed a south north runing road there are about 130 of them across the state, on private property most of the stage station sites are allso marked, lots of deaths by Indian's and disease down the B.O.D, it was a hot bed of Indian fighting during the plains wars, it was first known as the Smoky River Hills Trail to Denver used during the Colorado gold rush, 100 and some miles shorter than the North Platte Route or Arkansas River route, the Smoky was a crap shoot on making Denver alive but faster, the I-70 of that time.

This one sits 4 miles west of Castle Rock.

Sod Buster screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 10:14 AM
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #292
Sod Buster
prairie rider

A story from the Smoky Trail, one of many, the Smoky could be and was a life taker to follow in the day.

1859: The Smoky Hill Trail became known as the Starvation Trail when the Blue brothers were forced to cannibalism during a long and arduous trek to Denver.
Alexander, Daniel and Charles Blue along with their traveling companion Soley, not only made bad navigation choices on the unmarked trail, but received erroneous information about the availability of food and water. They also encountered early spring blizzards which slowed their travel, plus assumed distances were closer than the actual miles.
Although well supplied with food and a packhorse when leaving Leavenworth, Kansas, the brothers ran out of food somewhere in western Kansas and their packhorse had previously been stolen by Indians during the night.
According to newspaper accounts, told by lone survivor Daniel Blue, they made a pact that whoever died should be eaten so the others would survive. Soley died first and the brothers consumed him even though this was a despicable act to them. Alexander Blue was next to die and the brothers eventually followed the pact to survive by eating their brothers’ body.
Daniel and Charles had been trekking onward with the false hope that they were close to Denver, with Pike’s Peak in sight glimmering in the distance. Charles, the youngest of the three, could not make it any longer and also expired from lack of food and deplorable conditions. Daniel finally made the decision to use his brothers’ body for food sustenance to finish his long trip.
After all these hardships, Daniel finally could not go on and laid down to die. Arapahoe Indians found his almost lifeless body and nursed him back to traveling health. On May 11th, Daniel Blue arrived in Denver telling his story which sickened even the hardiest of miners, townspeople, and pioneers.
News spread quickly of the brothers’ ordeal and travel ceased on the Smoky Hill for a time. The route needed to be surveyed and marked to show for the best route for water and where the trail actually was located.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #293
Sod Buster
prairie rider

The B.O.D road ran about three hundred yards North of Castle Rock, if you were siting here in 1865 you would be able to watch the stage run right by, possibly with a bunch of Cheyenne hot on their tail, this stage route was atacked all the time as well as the stage stations that were positioned about twenty to thirty miles apart.

This pic is from the top of the bluffs above Castle Rock, looking North.

The Bluffs above Castle Rock.

One of the oldest pics i have come across of Castle Rock, note man siting with rifle across his lap and another bottom center pointing rifle.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #294
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
now I feel pretty dumb. I've been sitting here practically staring at a book our retired accountant gave me when he was moving - one that a past owner of the company had given to him...it's been in a box 'to go home' next to my desk for months:

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #295
ERRN
Huh! What?

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Awesum!

Great pics, I luv the Plains. Can't wait to go
ERRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #296
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Quote:
now I feel pretty dumb. I've been sitting here practically staring at a book our retired accountant gave me when he was moving - one that a past owner of the company had given to him...it's been in a box 'to go home' next to my desk for months:

I was going to send you the name of that book TB it just came back into print, it's one of the best on the Smoky River trail, lots of info about this part of Kansas History.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #297
Sod Buster
prairie rider

The bluffs over Castle Rock from ten miles out to the North looking South East.

South East end of Castle Rock, called the Hoo Doo's.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #298
Dratharr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek
hwy 83 somewhere north of thedford.

Ill be darned 48 county; one of my favorite counties to ride in Nebraska. My wife and I had a picnic lunch in the park at McCook yesterday, one of my all time favorite roads is Hwy 89 it was great yesterday no traffic and the leaves are starting to turn!
Dratharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #299
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Note:

The "Castle Rock" Sod Buster is reffering to is in Kansas and should not be confused with the geological formation or town of Castle Rock 30 miles south of Denver. The stage route came into Denver on the Smokey Hill Road which is now east suburban Denver. It then followed the Cherry Creek drainage to the Four Mile House just east of Shotgun Willies strip club.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #300
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Shotgun Willies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban
Note:

The "Castle Rock" Sod Buster is reffering to is in Kansas and should not be confused with the geological formation or town of Castle Rock 30 miles south of Denver. The stage route came into Denver on the Smokey Hill Road which is now east suburban Denver. It then followed the Cherry Creek drainage to the Four Mile House just east of Shotgun Willies strip club.

A couple shots from Willies might just spice this thread up a little...