ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #811
mra35
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 92
Pawnee Buttes

mra35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #812
Sod Buster
prairie rider
 
Sod Buster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Everett Washington. Home: Wichita Kansas.
Oddometer: 6,117
About fifty miles straight west of the Kidder site just across the Colorado border is where you will find Beechers Island Battlefield. Where Lt. Beecher of the story above was killed along with four other men, when around a thousand Cheyenne led by Roman Nose attacked and ran Forsyth and fifty civilian scouts onto a small sandbar in the Arikaree river where they dug in for seven days, sept 17th 1868. Fort Wallace in western Kansas is seventy five miles south east of Beechers. Fort Wallace is where Lt Beecher took the bodies of the Kidder Massacre and where his body would later be taken. It is allso where rescue for the Beecher party came from.











Hard to beleive this old Arikaree river used to flood let alone had a sandbar, but that was before before irigation pumps came along to grow crops where once only grass grew.

The Cheyenne and sioux made massive mounted charges up the river bottom on to the sandbar, but being civilian scouts many had repeating rifles, Spencers, and Winchester's.




Roman Nose, would die here. And later they would name a park in Oklahoma after him.

Roman Nose ridge, is where the tribes women, children and old people came out every day to view the days action and cheer on their warriors. Forsyth's scouts had camped unkowingly just three miles from a huge Cheyenne and sioux village.

Looking up the river bed from the sandbar towards Roman Nose ridge.




Esteban, on the ridge.





Beechers Island. You have to imagine those hills covered with really pissed Cheyenne and sioux!





The Story.http://cogenweb.com/yuma/beecher/index.htm

Sod Buster screwed with this post 05-11-2010 at 08:16 PM
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #813
GSbiker
new and un-improved
 
GSbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Wrong side of the tracks
Oddometer: 11,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster






Love the old/new photo comparison.
__________________
TRLcam


GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #814
Sod Buster
prairie rider
 
Sod Buster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Everett Washington. Home: Wichita Kansas.
Oddometer: 6,117
Just to throw a couple of more old pics out there and its just a cool story. Thirty years after the battle, the Old West was long over, three of the survivors would meet in 1898 to see if they could find the battle site. They did and they erected a stone, later the monument would be erected and the building.







The pic below is about the oldest i have seen of Beechers it shows what the river would have looked like at the time hardly any trees, no cover just rifle pits dug behind dead mules and horses on a small sandbar in the Arikaree river.

The little sandbar in this pic is pretty much where it went down.


Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #815
OUTLAND MOTO
And then suddenly....
 
OUTLAND MOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 412
Lake McConaughy outside of Ogallala, NE

One of my favorite places to go!!!

__________________
OUTLAND MOTO
"There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road."
OUTLAND MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #816
OUTLAND MOTO
And then suddenly....
 
OUTLAND MOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 412
Ride through the plains - 2008 Trek

Here are some pics of some plains states. This was a trip we took in 2008.

Dealing with the rain in Oklahoma...


Kentucky Storm...


Sun shining in Nebraska...


Who said the plains were just flat?!


Day started with sunshine in South Dakota...


and then....

__________________
OUTLAND MOTO
"There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road."
OUTLAND MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #817
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 100,689
Awesome! Thanks for the pictures.


(crossing that flood was inadvisable)
__________________
.



windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #818
OUTLAND MOTO
And then suddenly....
 
OUTLAND MOTO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
(crossing that flood was inadvisable)
It wasn't as bad as it looks in the photo. We deliberated over it for a while. We walked it and found that it we could cross safely. Good point though, for anyone who does encounter anything like that.
__________________
OUTLAND MOTO
"There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road."
OUTLAND MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #819
Tefloncandy
Oximoran
 
Tefloncandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Rogers, AR
Oddometer: 198
Taken just across the border between Kansas and Colorado



Taken between Denver and Colorado Springs



Taken between Denver and Colorado Springs

__________________
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" George S. Patton
Tefloncandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #820
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer
 
sleazy rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: White Lake, MI
Oddometer: 1,940




Best I've got from my ride thru ND and MT last fall.
__________________
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #821
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster
Just to throw a couple of more old pics out there and its just a cool story. Thirty years after the battle, the Old West was long over, three of the survivors would meet in 1898 to see if they could find the battle site. They did and they erected a stone, later the monument would be erected and the building.







The pic below is about the oldest i have seen of Beechers it shows what the river would have looked like at the time hardly any trees, no cover just rifle pits dug behind dead mules and horses on a small sandbar in the Arikaree river.

The little sandbar in this pic is pretty much where it went down.


Now that Sodbuster's a Washingtonian, can it be all that long before we see detailed historical accounts of those prairies east of the Cascades, Battle at Steptoe Butte, the hunt for Harry Tracy, history of the Omak Stampede, etc??

__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #822
Sod Buster
prairie rider
 
Sod Buster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Everett Washington. Home: Wichita Kansas.
Oddometer: 6,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
Now that Sodbuster's a Washingtonian, can it be all that long before we see detailed historical accounts of those prairies east of the Cascades, Battle at Steptoe Butte, the hunt for Harry Tracy, history of the Omak Stampede, etc??


I have hit a few used book stores in the area, found a couple of old history of Washington books .

I am really curious about eastern Washington, when we came across it on the way up we had bad weather from Montana to Seattle and I could not see much in order to get a feel for the lay of the land in that part of the state. I really do miss the open prairie.
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #823
Sod Buster
prairie rider
 
Sod Buster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Everett Washington. Home: Wichita Kansas.
Oddometer: 6,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefloncandy
Taken just across the border between Kansas and Colorado



Taken between Denver and Colorado Springs



Taken between Denver and Colorado Springs

Those are great photos!
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #824
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster
I have hit a few used book stores in the area, found a couple of old history of Washington books .

I am really curious about eastern Washington, when we came across it on the way up we had bad weather from Montana to Seattle and I could not see much in order to get a feel for the lay of the land in that part of the state. I really do miss the open prairie.
My family homesteaded up above Omak (Disautel pass) and I grew up north of Spokane. There's some fascinating country out there and some history as well. I live in the mountains now but miss the open spaces and go back every chance I get.

SR
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #825
MelonMan
Adventurer
 
MelonMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 89
Lake McConaughy

When I was a kid, I worked on a ranch in the Sandhills of Nebraska. The air was clean, the days were long and hard and the sunsets were spectacular. My parents are buried at a tiny cemetary on top of a hill in Hyannis, a small town about 45 miles north of Lake McConaughy. If you drive north from the lake you come upon Arthur, Nebraska. This a town of around 50 people. What makes it unique is that the fence posts leading up to the town are covered with the boots of cowboys. Some of these boots have been hanging there for decades. I'm going back in a couple of weeks. Loved your photos!
MelonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014