ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #1156
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
Come on man, I need some prairie pics people! I,ve seen all my pics, and by now you probably have to, I can't seem to remember what I have and have not posted in this thread. SOS: I am stuck in the PNW surounded by trees and mountains, somebody please post a photo of treeless flatness for me!

treeless enough?
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #1157
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Come on man, I need some prairie pics people! I,ve seen all my pics, and by now you probably have to, I can't seem to remember what I have and have not posted in this thread. SOS: I am stuck in the PNW surounded by trees and mountains, somebody please post a photo of treeless flatness for me!
Flatness? Here ya go........

And this canola field is pretty flat.

ricohman screwed with this post 12-09-2010 at 07:03 AM
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #1158
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,703
Flat is good!
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #1159
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 510
That last fellow seems to be a tish confused about where the Great Plains might be.

Here's the Wikipedia definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plains

And according to that, I took this shot right on the western edge of the Great Plains near Powell, Wyoming.

Lots of fields in that area are being planted with native grasses (hooray!) and many of the fences have come down (double hooray!). Is this happening in other states?

Here's a shot right at sunrise as I was heading out of Powell to Red Lodge, Montana.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #1160
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,602
The plains are afloat in mysterious space and the winds come straight from heaven.

Anyone alone on the plains turns into a mystic.

Something happens to a man when he gets on a horse in a country where he can ride at a run forever.

It is quite easy to ascend to an impression of living in a myth.

He either feels like a God, or feels closer to God.

- Plains Indian Scholar -

zenjen screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 03:41 PM
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #1161
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
The plains are afloat in mysterious space and the winds come straight from heaven.

Anyone alone on the plains turns into a mystic.

Something happens to a man when he gets horse in a country where he can ride at a run forever.

It is quite easy to ascend to an impression of living in a myth.

He either feels like a God, or feels closer to God.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #1162
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Unfortunately the Plains continue to be severely impacted by man. What you are seeing where you are is not the norm.

The end of some government programs that kept grass and other critical habitats on the plains has come at a time when other interests with little regard for the land are taking over..

Wind Energy, Oil and the quest to produce more Corn are starting to run a muck.

If you haven't started taking pictures of the Plains, you might want to start soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
That last fellow seems to be a tish confused about where the Great Plains might be.

Here's the Wikipedia definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plains

And according to that, I took this shot right on the western edge of the Great Plains near Powell, Wyoming.

Lots of fields in that area are being planted with native grasses (hooray!) and many of the fences have come down (double hooray!). Is this happening in other states?

Here's a shot right at sunrise as I was heading out of Powell to Red Lodge, Montana.

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #1163
Buffalo Bill OP
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997

Quote:
Quote:

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #1164
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
Unfortunately the Plains continue to be severely impacted by man. What you are seeing where you are is not the norm.

The end of some government programs that kept grass and other critical habitats on the plains has come at a time when other interests with little regard for the land are taking over..

If you haven't started taking pictures of the Plains, you might want to start soon.
You ain't kiddin'! I live in the North Platte River valley around Scottsbluff. The river bottom is over 2 miles wide in many places. I can't imagine how the river looked 100 years ago in full snow melt stage when we didn't have all of the reservoirs and dams holding it in check. Not to mention 150 years ago when it was no fences and all buffalo, elk, sheep, and antelope! Heck, even now we get the occasional moose through here, so I'd bet they were not that uncommon then.

This sea of grass here never ceases to amaze me. It's always got more water than I remember, and always has a different look 10 miles down the road.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #1165
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,580
Wyoming's Red Desert

Wagon train encamped along the creek.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #1166
46moo
Now with 2 cylinders

Oddometer: 415
Quote:

I'm always amazed by the uproar over the "invasion" of the plains by cedar trees, yet the number of acres converted to corn, beans, etc. isn't given a second thought.
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (traded)
46moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #1167
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:

+1 !!! i especially don't get why wind gets a free pass from the enviro community who busily work to preserve 'vistas' at all costs in so many other places. i kinda see (although i don't agree) why there's not more uproar from the mc and 4x4 groups- many members are fascinated by mechanical marvels and widgets of all shapes and sizes. oh well, i guess this is really a 'jo momma' rant so i'll shut up and post a picture or 3 now.....

surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #1168
VegasRider
Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern View Post
First of all, thanks everyone for contributing to this wonderful thread! I don't know if I posted this before, but here is an excerpt from a story entitled Horizontal Grandeur, by Bill Holm. Sadly, Bill passed away last February.

Keep two facts in mind if you do not have a prairie eye: magnitude and delicacy. The prairie is endless! After the South Dakota border, it goes west for over a thousand miles, flat, dry, empty, lit by brilliant sunsets and geometric beauty. Prairies, like mountains, stagger the imagination most not in detail, but size. As a mountain is high, a prairie is wide; horizontal grandeur, not vertical. People neglect prairies as scenery because they require time and patience to comprehend. You eye a mountain, even a range, at a glance. The ocean spits and foams at its edge. You see down into the Grand Canyon. But walking the whole prairie might require months. Even in a car at 60 miles an hour it takes three days or more. Like a long symphony by Bruckner or Mahler, prairie unfolds gradually, reveals itself a mile at a time, and only when you finish crossing it do you have any idea of what you’ve seen. Americans don’t like prairies as scenery or for national parks and preserves because they require patience and effort. We want instant gratification in scenic splendor as in most things, and simply will not look at them seriously. Prairies are to Rockies what Paradise Lost is to haiku. Milton is cumulative; so are prairies. Bored for days, you are suddenly struck by the magnitude of what has been working on you. It’s something like knowing a woman for years before realizing that you are in love with her after all.
Just wow. I know this is an old thread, but for me, this couldn't be stated more clearly. I LOVE riding on the plains. Thanks for this thread.
1991 Suzuki VX800 - "Vixen" (my "project" bike) In the process of being adventurized.
2004 Harley Davidson XL1200C Sporty. "Athena"
VegasRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #1169
VegasRider
Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer: 296
Not sure if I posted any of these on this thread, but here goes. All are from my 2008 trip.

Eastern Colorado - RT 36

Far Eastern New Mexico somewhere

Looking forward to next time.
1991 Suzuki VX800 - "Vixen" (my "project" bike) In the process of being adventurized.
2004 Harley Davidson XL1200C Sporty. "Athena"
VegasRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #1170
LoneWolfGS
n00b

Oddometer: 3
LoneWolfGS

I'll let Santana the Kiowa chief speak for me. "I love to roam over the prairies. There, I feel happy and free."
LoneWolfGS is offline   Reply With Quote