Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 637
HELP Points Electronic On the road in Macon GA

Helo all,
1993 R100GSPD

I am in route to Minneapolis, MN and this morning coming out of Macon GA, I went to one cylinder.

I have had Ricks Beancan and coil for a few years no problem. I stopped at gas station and was able to determine by swapping wires back and forth it was one side of the coil (I don't inderstand how that can be but whatever).

So I happen to have a points beancan and coil for it as a spare so I rode on one cylinder to auto parts and assembled with points bean can.

I put the points beancan in, and ran a wire from the coil to the condensor connection. I did not know for sure (black or green) to run so what I did was , turn on the ignition and with my electronic gauge (the standard yellow ones) took the wire with the 12 volts once key was turned and ran it to the condenser. I also have the old wire from the old ECU attached to the same because I figured that was necessary to get the power from the ignition (I have a feeling thats where everything went bad).

So I crank and Im getting no spark at the plugs. I open the beancan with points which is hot and the wire from condensor to points is melted.

What did I do?
What can I do (I have a new set of points and condenser)?
How should I connect the points beancan to get power to it?
Did I just fry everything?

My cell is 786 256 2868 if anybody can help.

Holy Shit !

patrkbukly screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 07:09 PM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 644
You have one wire going from the condenser to the trigger output on the coil which I believe is a groud wire....the circuit (points) close firing the spark. The hot goes and stays at the coils. Are you running dyna coils, or OE? If OE...which ones?

if you run hot to the can.....you in essence create a short...melted wires.

Secondly, Ricks can won't cause you to have spark just on one side I don't believe.....sound more like a coil, wire, cap issue than can issue.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Points gap

Thank you guys,
I appreciate the help, even had a call from an ADV in Alabama not far from me. The guy called me faster than 911 paramedics would show up.

Whats the points gap? is .014 good enough?

I cant seem to find it here.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,064
use .016in .. once your timing is set to .016in .. setting points back to .016 will put timing back again.

melted wire to your points means a dead short somewhere. your pig tail should be isolated from ground when points are open.

to static time .. match up flywheel marks to TDC for a initial position until you can get to a timing light.
after set your point gap before installing beancan. rotate beancan until cam just opens points with engine set to TDC.
this should get your airhead running until you can fine tune timing.

not familiar R100 timing marks on flywheel .. someone will be along to help on which marks to use to static time.

you'll need a 3 ohm coil to match points setup ..

_cy_ screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 01:05 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,716
so, did you get out of Macon?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,716
Patrick didn't answer, so I'm assuming he's back on the road.!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
No response to my offer around early pm of spare electronic beancan, coils etc. which I take as a good sign. Only 1,200 miles or so more to go! Hardier than me.

Current Rides: 1974 TR5T : 1993 R100R : 1994 R100RT
Past Rides: 11# 1970s BSA/Triumph Singles & Twins : 2# 1970s CZ 125s : 1985 BMW R65 : 1976 Moby X7
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Say hello to my bouncing baby PD with points

Ok please let me 1st say, the outpouring of support I got on here was INCREDIBLE.

I had phone calls, texts, people with beancans nearby, a guy in Alabama that was a great walk me through the connections making sure all is good.

Anyway, I can't thank every one of you enough. As always all I can do is the same when someones near me.

ANYWAY,
Got my points beancan in, fired up, figured out the F_ _ kup I made on the coil connection, and she ran like a bat outta hell today all the way to Huntsville Alabama. So I'm back with points which strangely enough this incident forced me into the transition that was going to happen soon anyway.

Very fortunate that I had the points bean can, a set of new points, Motoraad coil all in my case as spare. I had sworn, next time there was an electronic ignition problem I was dumping it all so good thing because that what made me carry the spares.

I limped her back to an Orieleys Auto Parts parking lot so I had great resources and nice people there too.

So yes as soon as I can, I need to redo gap (I set at about .015), re-time (bought another light at Orieleys today now I own 3). I couldnt see the timing marks very well i guess in the bright sun but close enough for now. Ran beautifully all day, in and out of rain then through some beautiful backroads in Alabama .

Somehow I gained 4 miles per gallon. I was averaging 38 and now after the points I'm at 42. Whatever, maybe just style today.

Again everyone thank you.

patrkbukly screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 06:50 PM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,064
congrats for getting back up .. excellent prep by carrying spare beancan w/points and coil!
with beancan w/points 42 mpg is about what I get R80G/S on the road at normal speeds .. 48 mpg if I'm keeping it under 50 mph
36 mpg in town hauling ass everywhere ...
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Riding to Rally

And by the way, I'm riding up to the rally from St Louis tomorrow if anyones up to it. Would love to grab a cup of joe or ride in a line of airheads looking like a mean gang if anyone's interested.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
man that's how it's supposed to happen! Good job on preparation/repair/ADVreconnaisance

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley
I put the points beancan in, and ran a wire from the coil to the condensor connection. I did not know for sure (black or green) to run so what I did was...
First rule of thumb when carrying spares that are not a direct plug-in to the part that failed (ie, falling back on a points Beancan) is to carry a diagram and explanation of what to do, because years later and on the road under duress you ain't gonna remember diddly. Not that we don't like to help. It's hard to do post-mortems over an iPhone.

[QUOTE]I have had Ricks Beancan and coil for a few years no problem. /QUOTE]
And that is another negative on electronic ignition. You have one of the best aftermarket ignitions, but it is proprietary (the hall-effect beancan and the ICM) and available from one (or very few) source(s). Motorrad is currently down so you are up the creek.

You can do diagnostics and a better repair at MOA. More help, better tools.

--Bill
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Quote:
I have had Ricks Beancan and coil for a few years no problem. /QUOTE]
And that is another negative on electronic ignition. You have one of the best aftermarket ignitions, but it is proprietary (the hall-effect beancan and the ICM) and available from one (or very few) source(s). Motorrad is currently down so you are up the creek.

--Bill
I could not agree with you more. That is precisely why I wanted to rid myself of the same.

And I agree with you on the diagram the thing is I remember talking to Rick and he is sooo savvy, he said…just run a single wire directly from coil to can and you are running…how could that be complicated ?

And there I was.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrkbukly View Post
I could not agree with you more. That is precisely why I wanted to rid myself of the same.

And I agree with you on the diagram the thing is I remember talking to Rick and he is sooo savvy, he said…just run a single wire directly from coil to can and you are running…how could that be complicated ?

And there I was.
It IS simple, one wire. From the Black wire side, you're good. From the Green wire side, you're toast. But try remember that four years later whilst up to you armpits in alligators...

--Bill
Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Kill switch

Interesting issue I just noticed today, the kill switch no longer works however,…..it kills the tachometer. So I am assuming I just need to do a flip flop of my wires screwed into the coil??