User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
timesarrow OP
GSA rider...

Oddometer: 12
Question What's it worth?

I've recently come across an '86 R65 which my buddy, the original owner wants to sell. It's in very good shape, new pipes, tires and looks really, really clean. Been sitting in his heated garage on a shelf for the last 7 years, but he insists it runs perfectly. It has about 30k kms on it. Has the Krauser bags, tank bag, a front fairing off a K bike and cafe bars, and a few extra parts in a box. I've never owned an air cooled boxer, and don't know much about them, but it seems like a great way to get introduced to them. It wouldn't be my only bike, currently have a few bikes including a 2014 GSA, but thought it might make a great project bike and a great sunday country ride. Long story short, I have no idea what this bike might be worth. My buddy is pretty firm on 4500$ (Can$) or 4100 (US$). I realize it's hard to give a price without pics. and more details. I guess I'm just trying to get an idea if this price is way out of whack or in the ballpark for a reasonable price. Any insight is appreciated...
timesarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
SculptD
Smells like tech

Oddometer: 494
Buying bikes from buddies...can't see any problem there.

Anyway, I don't know the specifics on that year/model, but the mileage is pretty low, so it might be a great bike, and thus well worth the money. But it's not a low price.

Still, there are all sorts of maintenance issues that any airhead that's been sitting that long could/will require. Are you going to work on it yourself? Does he work on bikes? Maybe one could form an agreement to split the cost of any immediately required repairs such as: push rod tube seals, and pretty much any other seal, etc.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
There's a few recent threads on here concerning R65s and how great they are. They also make a great first airhead, too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054258

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037619

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683290

These might be worth looking through for ideas/cost/maintenance.
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
Jim K in PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Great bike, but non-op for 7 years means you will be putting in several hundred dollars or more in basic maintenance parts (fluids, filters, carb kits,etc.), and probably more to address the hydraulics in the braking system. I would also think about replacing tires just due to age. Without pictures or any other info, it sounds like a $3000(US) bike, not a $4000 bike. So, not highway robbery, but not a deal.

FWIW.
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
JimGregory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
If he got it off the shelf (whatever that means) and put a fresh battery, tires and fluids, got running nice and idling nice, maybe 4000 US would be OK.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 925
Don't forget to put the pushrod seals and some other engine seals on the to-do-after-500mls-list because they probably will start leaking after a few rides just because they dried out.

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGregory View Post
If he got it off the shelf (whatever that means) and put a fresh battery, tires and fluids, got running nice and idling nice, maybe 4000 US would be OK.
Deep, and strong shelves!
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
An 86 would be a monoshock R80 frame. That is the least desirable configuration, heavier and not as agile as the earlier model.
I've seen clean, low mileage small frames struggle to top $2,500.
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Although the interweb has changed things, location matters, a lot. Where is "Bainsville"?
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,523
Being shelved for 7 years is a bad thing. Rubber parts dry out and deteriorate, fluids go bad, things get clogged....yada yada. 4500 is crazy talk....I wouldn't pay more than 1500.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:20 AM   #11
JimGregory
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Being shelved for 7 years is a bad thing. Rubber parts dry out and deteriorate, fluids go bad, things get clogged....yada yada. 4500 is crazy talk....I wouldn't pay more than 1500.
Honestly I wonder if thats a rule hard and fast or just a distinct possibility. My 92 RS sat in a basement for ten years with a lot of other bikes. The only issue I found was the diode board mounts rotted.
My 99 honda only had 3500 miles last season. So it sat a lot and no issues.
Not to be contrary Miss!
But agreed on 4500 is crazy. I think this bike is at the moment, the least desireable model and should be around 2500 in good running condition. but who knows what anything will fetch anymore. Prices are all over the place. I know a nice looking R65 was for sale locally here priced at 2500 for a long long time. No idea what it finally sold for.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #12
timesarrow OP
GSA rider...

Oddometer: 12
Thumb Thanks to all for the input...

Thanks to all for the input on this. Just to answer a few of the questions, Bainsville is a 'one horse town' at the very east end of Ontario, on the Quebec border. "On a shelf" is exactly that, it's been up on a very strong shelf in a heated garage, along with a 1950's Harley. I agree that not being driven is not necessarily a good thing, perhaps mitigated somewhat by the fact that the garage was heated and the bike was stored with some care taken towards the seals, fluids, etc. But I also agree that things will come up as she starts to run again. I also agree that dealing with buddies is not always a good idea, and 4500$, even in our lowly Can currency, is at the absolute high end. I'd love to get it for less but that might not be possible if I want this bike, but he has promised that it'll be running well for that price. What happens after 500kms will be on my head I suspect, good ol' "tail light warranty"! No surprise that opinions vary on this particular model, many love them, and many insist they are the "least desirable" model. All that is to say, I do appreciate the advice, have always found people on here to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful, so thanks. Cheers...
timesarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #13
JimGregory
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesarrow View Post
Thanks to all for the input on this. Just to answer a few of the questions, Bainsville is a 'one horse town' at the very east end of Ontario, on the Quebec border. "On a shelf" is exactly that, it's been up on a very strong shelf in a heated garage, along with a 1950's Harley. I agree that not being driven is not necessarily a good thing, perhaps mitigated somewhat by the fact that the garage was heated and the bike was stored with some care taken towards the seals, fluids, etc. But I also agree that things will come up as she starts to run again. I also agree that dealing with buddies is not always a good idea, and 4500$, even in our lowly Can currency, is at the absolute high end. I'd love to get it for less but that might not be possible if I want this bike, but he has promised that it'll be running well for that price. What happens after 500kms will be on my head I suspect, good ol' "tail light warranty"! No surprise that opinions vary on this particular model, many love them, and many insist they are the "least desirable" model. All that is to say, I do appreciate the advice, have always found people on here to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful, so thanks. Cheers...
Let me just say that while I THINK they are the least desirable model I mean that they may fetch the lowest price. I also may be wrong. And I personally find them as desirable as any other.
Also I may be completely wrong!
With airheads it's about what is available when you are looking.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #14
MR65
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I just payed $4300 for an '87 R65 with 20,000k that has been in storage for 9 years.

So your price is about the same. Mind you this was Vancouver, and we all know Vancouver is a bourgeois town.

If you get it we should keep in touch, a tale of two R65's just out of storage. See who replaces more parts first!

Regards

Mike
MR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #15
Isaak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
You found an 87 r65 with 20k in Vancouver? I'm jealous. I'm in langley with a 94 r100 mystic. Just got my collector plates!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Isaak is offline   Reply With Quote