User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Kanticoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Thumb Motogadget M-Unit install and review

Purists turn your head as this is a bitsa bike that I have assembled from various spares, etc, though nothing is chopped cut or otherwise permanently altered. This could easily be done on a stock bike by changing the location of the unit.

On this particular build, there was missing wiring, components, etc. so I opted for the Enduralast Charging system and electronic ignition and wired the bike from scratch using a Motogadget M-Unit and M-button. I love it. No fuses, no relays, just clean simple wiring. On this particular build I built a small box that mounts under the seat to house the unit. The system is not quite finished upon shooting the video, but I completed it yesterday and am more than impressed. Just thought you guys would like to see it up close and personal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JFIijLXbM

Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,569
I'm running the same setup. M-unit, enduralast, and enduraspark. If you run the momentary switch option for headlight and turn signals, holding the headlight button down turns the headlight off, short pushes blink the high beam, short hold down switches up to high beam. Holding down both turn signal buttons gives you hazard lights too. It's a really well thought out little unit. Go hawks!

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
That's pretty sweet!
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Kanticoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'm running the same setup. M-unit, enduralast, and enduraspark. If you run the momentary switch option for headlight and turn signals, holding the headlight button down turns the headlight off, short pushes blink the high beam, short hold down switches up to high beam. Holding down both turn signal buttons gives you hazard lights too. It's a really well thought out little unit. Go hawks!
Very cool Wrangler!

I didn't know that about the switching. Gonna have to experiment some with the switching possibilities. I am extremely impressed with the little unit, and feel a lot better after replacing all the wires with brand new silicone sheathed stuff. No more crusty.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
I like that setup. So did you rewire the entire bike? How's reliability of the MotoGadget M-unit and Enduralast ignition? Are they RTW "certified" or RTB?
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Kanticoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I like that setup. So did you rewire the entire bike? How's reliability of the MotoGadget M-unit and Enduralast ignition? Are they RTW "certified" or RTB?
Yes, I rewired the entire bike from scratch using all good quality soldered connections and weatherpack disconnects. It is much simplified over the stock system, namely getting rid of the "connection board" in the headlight allowing much much more simplified wiring in the headlight bucket. Another plus of the M-Unit is the fact that it is an entirely self supporting system with integrated circuit protection. What this means is that there are no relays for turn signals, starters, lighting, etc. It is all self contained within the unit. They have a full replacement warranty on the parts, and the M-unit itself as a "brain" could literally be swapped out in 10 minutes. It's insanely simple. I know that the Enduralast system is RTW tested, but unsure on the M-Unit. I know that they stand behind their products, and they offer very elegant, German made solutions to a lot of cool things on bikes. There are lots of bikes out there running them currently, and I haven't found a bad review yet. I like it very much.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
One of the things I don't 'specially love about my old GS is in fact the dried out wiring and let's face it, crappy connectors. I find this solution very intriguing since this addresses a major reliability concern of aging machinery namely bad or, worse, intermittent connections. But it's not a cheap solution, is it? I'd like to hear more on how you designed your new harness, what kind of wire you used, and how you documented it (so it can be worked on in the future.)

Thanks for taking the time to share your work!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
ccmickelson
MonoMania

Oddometer: 342
That bike is badass. Nice work.
ccmickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Kanticoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's not a cheap solution no doubt, but like you said, it replaces everything that is suspect. As for the wiring, I spent the extra money and used s bundle of silicone sheathed multi colored wire. I have a friend selling it in 20 foot bundles for bike re-wires and it comes in 20 colors. I kept the brown for earth and the green for positive, and the rest I matched to the M-button's wiring.

I then cut the stock female blade connectors from the handlebar switchgear and connected them to the M-button via bridge connectors that are bolted to the inside of the headlight shell for a clean connection.

Then the outputs from the M-Unit are color matched to the M-Unit which is conveniently labeled on the top of the unit itself as a "diagram" so it's easy to remember which color goes to which accessory. Extremely clean design. I think it's a great solution to refurbish our aging bikes wires. I will definitely use them again.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
OLD GREEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Thanks for posting this, I really like how clean and simple it is. I will definitely consider this system on my next build. Are you at all concern about the possibility of the unit going tits up and leaving you stranded?
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GREEN View Post
Thanks for posting this, I really like how clean and simple it is. I will definitely consider this system on my next build. Are you at all concern about the possibility of the unit going tits up and leaving you stranded?
It's easy enough to power the ignition directly from the battery, bypassing the m-unit should it fail. The bike can then be push started, so you'd never be truly stranded, just inconvenienced.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
jackseattle
n00b

Oddometer: 2
very slick install and nice video, really like how this airhead build of yours is going. getting ready to do something similar on my cb400f
jackseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Kanticoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackseattle View Post
very slick install and nice video, really like how this airhead build of yours is going. getting ready to do something similar on my cb400f

Thanks Jack! You're a man of good taste. I have one of those too!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
jackseattle
n00b

Oddometer: 2
that's a sweet ride, very well done
jackseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #15
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I ran Enduralast and Enduraspark over the last 30000km. Got me from South Korea to London without a hitch, via Russia, Mongolia and Central Asia. The only thing that let me down was old and dodgy wiring, and even then it wasn't a show stopper. Currently considering the Motogadget M-unit to address that!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote