Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 11:58 AM   #1
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,756
R75/5 Parking light connection? wrong headlight?

Okay... chasing down the new stable mate's electrons.

Replaced a bad battery and now sorting out parking/running light/instrument light fuse break. I believe that I found where a previous owner wired the lights to the Wixom bags with lamp wire - and then swappe the Koni shocks to the originals... Hey look lamp wire trapped under the shock mount bolt.. bare wire to ground. Ripped that all out and will make it look and operate proper at a later date.

But, of course, I'm looking around at the wiring from that Fuse.
One wire headed over to the connectors and into the loom.
One going over to the instruments.
One with a funky crimp and no connection... HMMM... me thinks parking brake.
The Diagram: Thanks to whoever did that diagram... gold my friends.

And the situation under the headlight:

wires with odd connections...
Gray with black is supposed to go to parking light, The brown runs to the headlamp but has this connector.

Any direction from you /5 folks? Am I looking in the wrong place for a parking lamp? (honestly I'll never use one - but wanted to see I need to straighten out the wiring.
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #2
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 864
If you have the stock headlight reflector, the press and turn bulb retainer, holds the wire terminals for the park light bulb. One goes to ground (brown) and the other goes to the strip of copper that leads to the bulb. If you have a quartz insert, the brown wire goes to the side of the park light bulb holder and the park light wire goes to the park light bulb socket. If you don't have a park light bulb in your reflector, just tape up the wire terminals so they can't ground anywhere when the headlight is all together.

The photo of your headlight reflector is not very clear but it looks like you have the after market or optional quartz insert.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #3
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 819
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the /5 electric spaghetti as provided by BMW is dirt cheap compared to other models at the moment.
If the PO did mess up at the rear (shock/bags) and at the front (headlight connections), then what did he enhance or enlighten in between?
I'd choose not to find out and replace the whole thing, it's like 42 years old so it has served well. Just to have peace of mind and to save a lot of time chasing weird issues if nothing else. Or worse case avoiding getting stranded in heavy rains because the ducttape did not hold up after being hided under the tank for years.
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #4
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow View Post
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the /5 electric spaghetti as provided by BMW is dirt cheap compared to other models at the moment.
If the PO did mess up at the rear (shock/bags) and at the front (headlight connections), then what did he enhance or enlighten in between?
I'd choose not to find out and replace the whole thing, it's like 42 years old so it has served well. Just to have peace of mind and to save a lot of time chasing weird issues if nothing else. Or worse case avoiding getting stranded in heavy rains because the ducttape did not hold up after being hided under the tank for years.
The spagetti is in amazing shape. The bike saw some significant love in the 86-89 period of life. Upgraded rockers, Walus Battery holder, I would guess it had some significant improvements.

"If you don't have a park light bulb in your reflector, just tape up the wire terminals so they can't ground anywhere when the headlight is all together"
This seems to be the problem... non stock reflector.. mine is a hella that has the wire holder.

Will post pics off to get center stand tank welded.

K