ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.74%
Nasty? 27 12.80%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.46%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #2941
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,550
See you Sunday then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Pt. 1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Pt. 2...
Flags: We all got to wave one & it’s all in the wrist… But we ran thru/ough what does what. I raised the thorny question of stationary yellows & blue at the same post, about which there has been some debate.

http://www.panama-city-beach-fla.com/images/flag_warning.jpg

Walked thru/ough the paddock: See that thing there, it could kill you. I’d read thru/ough the meeting notes the night before and there were a number of specific directions regarding tail lifts (fully up or fully down), mini-motos, riding on trailers & other exclusions.

Scrutineering: Here we were given a chat by whoever drew the short straw, and he talked thru/ough being there early & leaving late, safety, and compliance etc.

Copse 1: Scrutineering is up by the Copse tunnel, so we crossed under the track and went round to the 2nd station on Copse, where the talk was similar to that received at Brooklands, however there were confirmations & additions, and during the sessions we got to run across the gravel trap with a fire extinguisher, and back again. I found it required a high kneed stance to increase forward motion. Of course you have to set a pace that means you’ve enough oomph left to do something once you get there…

Copse 2: As the next practice session began we walked up on the bank around the inside of the safety fencing toward the preceding flag post, and paused to talk tru/ough a variety of issues before cutting back thru/ough the fencing. It was at this point that I bumped into the Mum & Dad and the pic (Pt. 1) was taken. I first met Nigel when I was asked to audition as bass player in a rawk moosical at a local arts centre, and he was a far better bassist than I was so I ended up as musical director instead. He was later drafted into ‘Johnny & Danny Play Pop’, and I played with him in a number of settings since. He worked for me when I put together Soundstudio and he’s probably the best instrumentalist I know. I’ve known better composer/instrumentalists and one in particular who won hands down at both, but as a player he’s a natural, on anything.

Pits: I took the time to stand in the place I last met Barry Sheene. That time in '78 or '79 at the age of 14 or 15 when, using a borrowed wheelchair from the local hospital, I was made by an adult relative to pretend to be unable to walk for the weekend so as to gain free entry & enhanced access... There are so very many reasons that I'm marked down for damnation that this tasteless past indiscretion hardly adds to the already high likelihood of me being hell-bound :-D We got various briefings on pit lane procedures & protocol, which mirrored what I'd read in the meeting regulations mentioned/linked to in a previous post, and we had the rare pleasure of going up onto the start gantry. As the grid lined up after the warm up lap I noted skid marks exiting the last corner and connecting with the pit wall, followed by a trail of oil absorbing cement dust leading all the way to the first corner. Clearly, at some point some one had got Woodcote all wrong :-D And then the 5 second board was shown, and shortly later the lights changed and a mass of Porsche metal blasted off beneath me. I could see lots of gaps opening up and being promptly filled by an opportunist weaver, but nobody seemed to hit anybody and they all funnelled into the first corner as we made our way back down to the pit lane. As a small aside, I noticed that as per the BRSCC Final Instructions referred to previously, all pit crew were barred from being on the pit wall at the start.

Medical centre: General tour of a facility which serves the entire site & all attendees. It’s somewhat better than the Monza tent replete with fag ends JY Stewart often refers to.

Allocation of afternoon allocations: Before we returned to Race Control our afternoon postings were decided. I was quite flexible about where I was placed, two others grabbed Copse, the other took Brooklands, so I was allocated to Maggots, to be on station @ 1.20pm. Our placements were reported to Race Control, and we broke for lunch. I returned to the bike and it turned out the car I'd parked next to belonged to our tour leader. I was then able to ride thru/ough the paddock back up to the Copse tunnel, and I must own up to revving the bastard and using the tunnel to amplify my clattering bellow of an exhaust tone…

Maggots is at the lower right end of the pic below (which I'm sure you can orient to the 2nd pic which is of the overall circuit), and runs into the following hairpin, historically referred to as Becketts.

http://www.locost-racing.com/circuits.htm

I was stationed at the point labelled T3 below, or in the gravel thereabouts.

Large image @ http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/silverstone_arena_map.png (once on page, hover over & right click/view image)

A Gravel Trap -

http://www.indymobility.co.uk/mobility-scooters/our-test-track.html

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 01:57 AM Reason: Pic link & pic reference
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #2942
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=mj-Wonf5LJ4

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/08/video-the-forgotten-crash-villeneuve-and-peterson-japanese-grand-prix-1977/

planktonnn screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:00 AM
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #2943
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

+ Simon Munnery

http://soundcloud.com/britishcomedyg...odcast-2012-05

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 11:46 PM
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #2944
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

See you Sunday then... Pt. 4.

Maggots is a fast left-hand kink, at which you brake on the apex kerb in preparation for the right hand Becketts hairpin that follows. This of course means that in a 4 wheeler the rear is trying to break away to the right on braking, and then you have to swing the mass inertia across the car, so if it doesn't spin you one way it immediately wants to spin you the other. With this in mind I didn’t mind being sent there, and I arrived ten minutes early to make contact with my post colleagues. At this point it started to tip it down something rotten so I took refuge in the little cabin provided for marshals where I was joined by the four other workers on that post. Brief introductions were made & immediately forgotten, I was again advised not to get killed, and told I was to observe for the first couple of races and then get stuck in as per directions from the Post Chief.

The rain stopped and again we were bathed in sunshine as is so often the way at Silverstone. If you remember that the circuit was originally a wartime airfield, it’s surrounded by broadly flat countryside, and the weather always seems to blow in and out pretty fast. The first race was for Toyota MR2s of varying mechanical quality, and I accompanied the Post Chief to monitor the first lap or two from just along the banking before returning to the post. The combination of skittish race-lightened cars, broadly under-skilled drivers & the drenched surface made for some enjoyable shenanigans, with 6 or 7 spinners, one of whom found themselves beached in the gravel...

The first spinner referred to above, I think, beached in the background being dealt with by my colleagues...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisgoodwin/7670491464/in/set-72157630807532458/

The JCB snatch vehicle was despatched to drag him to a place of safety. The first attempt used the front tow hook, which regulations indicate must be capable of supporting the vehicle whilst being towed on tarmac. It was probably capable of this, but with the slightly increased load induced by trying to pull the car from out of the gravel the hook mount was so corroded that it just pulled the front bumper mounting points out, and so the vehicle had to be dragged from the rear instead. It was towed slightly further round Becketts on the GP circuit behind a temporary barrier placed there and my colleagues returned accompanied by a rather sheepish looking driver. He was then stranded with us for the remainder of the race, and after a while two somewhat rotund & emotional women turned up in what seemed to be a state of near hysteria, checking he was ok. He was ok, but by the time they’d finished with him I’m not sure I could say the same… During a later inter-race track inspection I looked at the gravel where the car had been beached and found a great pile of rust where the tow point & its fender mount had failed. I sometimes wonder whether cars used for racing would pass a road MOT inspection…

I’d taken position so that I could face the oncoming race traffic and see any impending hazards early, so when a car lost it’s rear traction and came plunging toward our post I was already on my way down behind a large metal fence post by the time one of the team shouted ‘INCOMING!?!’. We all dashed & ducked as he skipped backwards across the gravel towards us at great speed, throwing up a flurry of stones and ending up just missing the wall directly in front of us. We popped up to check the state of play, and then as he drove his way back out spitting gravel from his spinning rear wheels we again took cover. I’d been made aware of the likelihood of such an eventuality by a set of tire/yre tracks following a similar line apparently laid down by a Mini in the morning practice sessions.

As far as I know that orange blob by the pole in the background is me
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisgoodwin/7670473484/sizes/o/in/set-72157630807532458/

The rest of the races came and went and as the track had dried they were somewhat less eventful than the first. Plenty of spins, but all some way off at the apex of Becketts, so I didn’t get a chance to get into the real meat of marshalling. This was of course a shame, but whilst I would have appreciated the action I can’t say I wanted anyone to crash. From the general banter it seems there is some Marshal folklore wherein eating a pork pie or scotch egg is deemed to encourage crashes? It seems to me that were this to be true then a Gala Pie would have super magical properties

A magic crash inducing pie?

My feet hurt, and in a sense I was a little glad when the last race was shortened by a three wheeled car at Brooklands, which should of course have had four wheels. We gathered the extinguishers & other equipment and took them trackside for collection by the incident vehicle, and then I was free to dash to the toilets for a much needed piss, and make my way back thru/ough the paddock, stopping to borrow a screw driver to adjust my carb balance, and then back over the bridges and out of the circuit. On the journey back it seemed that my impromptu carb adjustments had done the job as the DMW was far less lumpy.

So, overall it was a brilliant day, and something I've already encouraged a number of people to sign up for. The next step is to join the British Motor Racing Marshals Club and put my name down for a meeting or two before the end of the season.

A full set of pics taken (I think, as far as I can tell) at Maggots/Becketts (mostly on the corner exit) at the meeting in question is available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisg...7630807532458/ - Pics (C) Dennis Goodwin. I'd notify usage & ask permission but I can't work out how to without opening a flickr account...

PS - There seemed to be a bike track day running on the South Circuit, and there were an inordinately large number of fallers if the steady flow of ambulances was anything to go by.

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 11:47 PM Reason: links & words
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #2945
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://hydro-carbons.blogspot.in/201...honda-360.html
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #2946
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #2947
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Via http://boxermetal.com/
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #2948
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

BEARS lap 1

1st lap of BEARS race @ Lydden

By BlindLemonAde http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Lydden0047.mp4

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 03:37 AM Reason: G'ah, no preview & fix link
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #2949
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=PELoE9qPZqs

http://www.kophillclimb.info/

planktonnn screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:01 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #2950
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,888
Would somebody care to explain what is Kop Hill? Can I participate? Is it sorta like Pike's Peak only somewhere else in the country?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #2951
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Would somebody care to explain what is Kop Hill? Can I participate? Is it sorta like Pike's Peak only somewhere else in the country?
It's all @ the link below the vid, but as a brief explanation it's a recent revival of an old hillclimb in the Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms previously run from 1910 to 1928, brought back as a display run in '99, and then repeated for the last three years. See the history under 'About Kop Hill' in the left menu @ http://www.kophillclimb.info/#

Contemporary pics @
PS. pic links taken from their site so if they're wrong....

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 03:38 AM Reason: links, again...
Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #2952
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Via New Cafe Racer
Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #2953
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Aww, go on...

Money, it’s a phucka no? It’s no wonder we plebeians wish for it so. It’s an ejector seat, a jet pack out of this shite we all find ourselves in. Tho/ough for all I know you may not, you may be rolling in it and just lurking on this here poor unwholesome thread in some sort sick voyeurism justified as a casual anthropological mass observational exercise. If so, do please consider taking the time to donate me the cost of getting to London Stanstead (which is not in London), a flight to southern France, and a bit of spending money. Nothing grand, just enough to pay my journey & some modest fun moneys. True, it’s not as tho/ough I offer any value, it’s not as tho/ough there’s any viable way to ‘monetise’ such a thing as this poor assemblage of random letters, or indeed anything else I do, anywhere at any time. Look back thru/ough this thread and you’ll definitely see I definitively don’t deserve to profit from some no doubt desperately desired desultorily devised donative dosh distribution design. But I’m happy to be written off as a tax loss if it helps. Pretty please?…

I mean, it’s ok for you, all you have to do is voluntarily visit this endless piss-stream of unconsciousness and dip your disinfected un-webbed toes into my crapulous little life. But think about it, I have to live with me all the bloody time. So if you look at it this way you can surely see that I deeply deserve a break from me. You know it makes sense. There must be some way you can claim me back against tax or make me an offshore entity put aside against future losses or something. Do please make every attempt you can to find a mostly legal way you can facilitate into fact the fallacy of me sitting with cold a bottle of beer in the middle of a fortress, soaking in the 8 bit sound of clanging plastic swords & construction sounds mixed with the wail of washed up rock turds playing all their ‘classics’ in the amphitheatre down the end of the castle - little old me kicking the wind & potentially pressing the odd button now and again during a month long recording session? Not that I deserve your cash, and I can’t in all sincerity say I do, but I could certainly bloody cope with it. Aww, go on.

On the other hand if you were really kind (& unfeasibly rich) you’d pay for a full service/refresh on the ratty DMW, a constant supply of fuel, a ferry ticket to Northern Spain (Santander/Bilbao?), and then I could zigzag across the Pyrénées, and then head north towards a welcome in Le Cite… and then, some considerable time later, you could stump up for fuel & ongoing consumables for when I regretfully have to head north-west across France to a channel port and ferry it back to the south coast of these here Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms. Aww, go on.

Ulule?

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 03:25 PM Reason: guess
Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #2954
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #2955
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Luftmeister's K100 land speed bike from the 80's Via Boxer Metal