ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.36%
Nasty? 28 12.90%
Nasty but nice? 160 73.73%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #3046
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat
 
planktonnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: ...Fuckinemshite...
Oddometer: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
An Expert Scientist responds: No, it does not matter......but, as we know, Helmut at the factory (HATF) did design the electrical system to be earthed at the speedo bolt on the gearbox*, so to be on the safe side, I'd do what Helmut does (DWHD) at all times. You know it makes sense.

*Tacho? Engine? Are you on drugs of some kind? Also, I've been meaning to congratulate you on the fact that this thread has gone over 200,000 views, but my debilitating ennui has fucked with my mind somewhat. Also, I forgot to mention that I've had a peachy monetising deal with the ADV owner, so that I have received a $ for each viewing, which means I'm posting this reply from my castle in the Alps. Hope you don't mind........
I bluddy knew it, hand over the 0.0000001% as agreed in the Martha Farquar Motosickle Company articles and we'll say no more about it

WWHD? HATF is of course right in his original placement for the earth strap, which if nothing else allows quick access for emergency battery disconnection, however as is His usual way it only works for almost all eternity if you construct/use & adjust the machine to the designed specification. By not running a speedo cable I'm not securing the end of the speedo cable retaining bolt as intended, in that there is no cable-end there to exert lateral force on the extremity of said bolt, which thru/ough applied grip assists the fine thread in the gearbox in holding the earthing strap in place. I have found that after 149k miles the thread didn't maintain the required load and so stripped a turn or two and didn't provide a secure fixing. This in turn produced a bad earth connection, which meant the bike wouldn't start in the worst of the rain yesterday, a mile or so from 'The Place'. In terms of adjusting all adjustments to HATF specified adjustment ranges, a good example was my experience with adjusting the clutch lever bite point on either of the K75 units I ran.


http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1271-average-life-of-the-clutch

It sort of went like this - When seeking to bring the clutch bite point of the lever closer to the bar, which was my preference, I deviated from the book recommendations, which in turn caused the actuation pivot arm so sit at a slightly different angle than HATF intended, which in turn loaded the rubber boot slightly differently than HATF intended, which in (another) turn encouraged an early splitting failure of the boot. It's as tho/ough H et al had a mindset that said 'The part operates within the narrow factory defined recommended settings & parameters. Why would anyone want it any other way?!? We have determined the perfect performance envelope!?!'

But I must be wrong, for to do such a thing would be very un-Germanic...


http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t3795-locating-engine-oil-leak

I'd like to differentiate this small move aways from HATF specs as being 'not the same' as simple inbred mechanical ignorance, and by way of illustration I'll cite the following: I'm pretty sure a vegetable based life-form we know ate a clutch by mal-adjusting it to the point where the spring/plates were always very slightly lifted/never fully engaged and therefore wore out in relatively no miles at all. That sort of deviation is just plain rude... I feel it's a little late to DWHD on the DMW. Of course, re my negative mount, it was as you say the speedo run-off, but I don't use it so therefore confused it with a tacho drive. My unfortunate misidentification is perhaps rooted in the fact I may have been distracted as the thread failed whilst I was riding to get some Tacos. Yes, that is it and there is no other possible explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Won't make a spit of difference, Planktonnn.

To accomodate the odd earth post on an Odyssey battery I've had the GSPD's battery grounded to the clutch actuating arm pivot bolt for years.

Well it seemed to me it wouldn't make a difference but I thought it worth a check via the hive mind I had thought about using the same attachment point you mention, as it's more like the original than the position I used, in that it's also on the gearbox as opposed to on the frame end of the right upper battery box mount bobbin. But I was roadside in the pouring sheet rain & I didn't fancy laying in the puddles to get at the clutch arm pivot

As a point of general public notification as to how 'well' I'm doing with my thought processes - No, I didn't try the battery tray end of the rubber bobbin...
__________________
...using the wrong spanner since 1964... ...Electronically begging for a rebuild via gofundme.com/fs1uas...

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 12:27 PM Reason: It ditn't make sense...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #3047
pjcr12
Stercus accidit
 
pjcr12's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 801
"........whilst I was riding to get some Tacos...." quote

Tacos, eh?
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #3048
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat
 
planktonnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: ...Fuckinemshite...
Oddometer: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
"........whilst I was riding to get some Tacos...." quote

Tacos, eh?
Yes, Tacos.
__________________
...using the wrong spanner since 1964... ...Electronically begging for a rebuild via gofundme.com/fs1uas...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #3049
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,741
Tacho vs. Drehzahlmesser

Planktonn, your calling it a tacho was actually correct.

In German, Tacho(meter) refers to the speedometer while the RPM gauge, known in English as a Tachometer, is called a Drehzahlmesser.

I had a bit of a hard time with that when I moved here from Germany oh so many years ago.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 07:28 PM
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #3050
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,741
Ground cable location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Won't make a spit of difference, Planktonnn.

To accomodate the odd earth post on an Odyssey battery I've had the GSPD's battery grounded to the clutch actuating arm pivot bolt for years.

Lornce, I believe the ground point on the transmission is to make sure that the engine is directly grounded to the battery for the well being of all the electrical components located on the engine. You side stepped that by still using the transmission, just a different bolt.
If one chooses to use the frame for the negative side of the battery I would strongly recommend a groundstrap from the frame to the engine as well, just to be on the safe side.

I've seen my share of poor running or charging issues on a variety of brands because the engine was not properly grounded, just sayin'.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #3051
disston
ShadeTreeExpert
 
disston's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Silver Spring, Md
Oddometer: 8,609
I have a ground strap from the trans breather bolt to the battery and a second ground strap from the subframe attachment point just above the battery to the same Negative terminal on the battery. Nothing says I can't have two ground straps. On all my vehicles I add an extra or a heavier ground straps.

Car engines are rubber mounted. There is a more critical requirement for these ground straps because it is very likely there will be no good path for electricity to flow because of the extensive use of rubber mounts.

The electricity will always take the shortest and easiest path back to the battery. With our motorcycles the exchange of electrons between the engine and frame is ordinarily very easy, however, there can be corrosion in between the attachment of engine and frame. The mounts may be loose. The flexing of the frame may cause a varying contact situation. An extra path for the electricity makes things easier.
__________________
.
Never memorize something you can look up.
---Albert Einstein

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #3052
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat
 
planktonnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: ...Fuckinemshite...
Oddometer: 3,764
Drizzlemeister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Planktonn, your calling it a tacho was actually correct.
And the German for Taco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
I believe the ground point on the transmission is to make sure that the engine is directly grounded to the battery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
With our motorcycles the exchange of electrons between the engine and frame is ordinarily very easy...
Here in the Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms today has kicked off dry so, unlike the other day, getting under the bike is not like taking a cold bath, and I've therefore been able to take the time to swap the ground from the frame to the clutch arm pivot bolt so as to mimic the tacho* bolt connection onto the gearbox.

I found the alternative fixing point worked to get me 'home' to 'The Place', however at full throttle/high revs the engine was misfiring. There's no way to really know if this was a result of the selection of frame fixing point, or a short somewhere else in the rain-drenched-possibly-chafed loom, or whether it's actually a carb/throttle position problem, so I've taken the trouble to mimic the gearbox connection so as to seek to remove a variable and try & isolate the cause of the misfire problem. Problem is because it's so very loud it's too early to take the bike out for a full throttle/high revs run to find out...


* PJCR12, see post 3049
__________________
...using the wrong spanner since 1964... ...Electronically begging for a rebuild via gofundme.com/fs1uas...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #3053
disston
ShadeTreeExpert
 
disston's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Silver Spring, Md
Oddometer: 8,609
9 times out of 10 when you think you have a carburetor problem, it is an ignition problem. But vice versa doesn't work this time.
__________________
.
Never memorize something you can look up.
---Albert Einstein

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #3054
pjcr12
Stercus accidit
 
pjcr12's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 801
And the German for Taco?


Who knows? Anyone? Eh? EH??
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #3055
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,741
Same as it ever was........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
And the German for Taco?


Who knows? Anyone? Eh? EH??

The Germans have never been shy using terms from another lanuage if it suits them, just like the Japanese.
Having said that a rose by any other name is still a rose or in this case a Taco.

Here is the German Wikipidia entry for Taco:

Ein Taco ist ursprünglich eine mexikanische Speise. Er besteht aus einer Tortilla, die nach Belieben mit vielen Zutaten gefüllt werden kann.
In den meisten Fällen wird der Taco mit einer eher scharfen Salsa abgeschmeckt. Tacos werden immer aus der Hand gegessen.

The entry does not offer a translation, sorry. Also, nouns in German are assigned a gender by the indefinite article, and the Taco ends up being male. By it's shape I think female would have been more appropriate...........
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #3056
pjcr12
Stercus accidit
 
pjcr12's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post

Here is the German Wikipidia entry for Taco:

Ein Taco ist ursprünglich eine mexikanische Speise. Er besteht aus einer Tortilla, die nach Belieben mit vielen Zutaten gefüllt werden kann.
In den meisten Fällen wird der Taco mit einer eher scharfen Salsa abgeschmeckt. Tacos werden immer aus der Hand gegessen.

The entry does not offer a translation, sorry. Also, nouns in German are assigned a gender by the indefinite article, and the Taco ends up being male. By it's shape I think female would have been more appropriate...........
Allow me: " A taco is originally a Mexican dish. It consists of a tortilla, which can be filled with many ingredients as desired. In most cases, the taco is flavored with a rather sharp salsa. Tacos are always
eaten out of hand."

pjcr12 screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 12:03 PM Reason: I'm a bit picky
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #3057
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat
 
planktonnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: ...Fuckinemshite...
Oddometer: 3,764




__________________
...using the wrong spanner since 1964... ...Electronically begging for a rebuild via gofundme.com/fs1uas...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #3058
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,741
Oil filter access

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...n/c9dc8afd.jpg



Somebody went through a lot of trouble to be able to change the filter with ease after raising the engine.
Any more info on that bike ?



pjcr12: very nice job on the translation, I have to admit I was being lazy by not translating it myself.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #3059
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat
 
planktonnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: ...Fuckinemshite...
Oddometer: 3,764
I came across it via BMW Boxer Club on Facebook. Not got much info, but a search for 'Ciro Fabbri' or 'Fabbri Ciro' threw up the following?


http://it.paperblog.com/filo-nero-842333/

http://www.subito.it/moto-e-scooter/...a-33221336.htm




http://www.caferacerculture.net/2012...59558483a3344c
__________________
...using the wrong spanner since 1964... ...Electronically begging for a rebuild via gofundme.com/fs1uas...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #3060
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat
 
planktonnn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: ...Fuckinemshite...
Oddometer: 3,764
Sheds, in the news!?!

North Weald: Man in bid to build garden shed

http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/No...ail/story.html
__________________
...using the wrong spanner since 1964... ...Electronically begging for a rebuild via gofundme.com/fs1uas...
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014