ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #3151
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,865
Dynastic Decay...

In particular:

'We have stated 78 that the duration of the life of a dynasty does not as a rule extend beyond three generations. The first generation retains the desert qualities, desert toughness, and desert savagery. (Its members are used to) privation and to sharing their glory (with each other); they are brave and rapacious. Therefore, the strength of group feeling continues to be preserved among them. They are sharp and greatly feared. People submit to them.

Under the influence of royal authority and a life of ease, the second generation changes from the desert attitude to sedentary culture, from privation to luxury and plenty, from a state in which everybody shared in the glory to one in which one man claims all the glory for himself while the others are too lazy to strive for (glory), and from proud superiority to humble subservience. Thus, the vigor of group feeling is broken to some extent. People become used to lowliness and obedience. But many of (the old virtues) remain in them, because they had had direct personal contact with the first generation and its conditions, and had observed with their own eyes its prowess and striving for glory and its intention to protect and defend (itself). They cannot give all of it up at once, although a good deal of it may go. They live in hope that the conditions that existed in the first generation may come back, or they live under the illusion that those conditions still exist.

The third generation, then, has (completely) forgotten the period of desert life and toughness, as if it had never existed. They have lost (the taste for) the sweetness of fame and (for) group feeling, because they are dominated by force. Luxury reaches its peak among them, because they are so much given to a life of prosperity and ease. They become dependent on the dynasty and are like women and children who need to be defended (by someone else). Group feeling disappears completely. People forget to protect and defend themselves and to press their claims. With their emblems, apparel, horseback riding, and (fighting) skill,79 they deceive people and give them the wrong impression. For the most part, they are more cowardly than women upon their backs. When someone comes and demands something from them, they cannot repel him. The ruler, then, has need of other, brave people for his support. He takes many clients and followers. They help the dynasty to some degree, until God permits it to be destroyed, and it goes with everything it stands for.

As one can see, we have there three generations. In the course of these three generations, the dynasty grows senile and is worn out. Therefore, it is in the fourth generation that (ancestral) prestige is destroyed. This was stated before in connection with (the subject) that glory and (ancestral) prestige are restricted to four generations.80 We have proved it with natural and evident arguments based on premises that we established before. The reader should consider that. As an impartial person, he should not disregard the truth.'

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/ik/M...r3/Ch_3_12.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qckbw or 8 @ http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/i...hy/id463701671

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Khaldun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asabiyyah

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 02:41 AM Reason: additions, building
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #3152
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Running happy then? What's the speedo/tacho? You know sooner or later you're bound to get pulled by the Polis with that number plate. Makes me jealous I'm not getting my 75 running. I need a tiny piece of land, a buried shipping container with one of these plonked on top:

http://www.premiersteelbuildings.co....-photo-gallery

Or failing that one of these:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nvestment.html

dont know if i want to ask but whats the shipping container for / acewell speedo btw
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #3153
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
dont know if i want to ask but whats the shipping container for / acewell speedo btw
The shipping container is just to live in, with a batpole connecting it to the garage above, nothing more sinister or amusing I'm afraid

I'd looked at the Acewell series and been quite impressed by their functionality but could never afford/justify the spend for them. Was it easy to install & get all the features/lights running properly? Being a skint skinflint who crashes a lot I've gone for simple £2.99 bicycle speedos on all my builds - Lidl does some lovely ones
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #3154
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Just so you know, Kate Middleton is an anagram of Naked Tit Model...
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #3155
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Now, if you’ve been paying attention of any sort you’ll know the DMW is 1k Airhead with 40mm bings & large valves (I forget the sizes, but whatever the largest variation is) with Keihan stainless pipes that, if you’re observant, you’ll notice have 40mm ends expanded from their base size 38mm pipes), with Supertrapp end caps direct on the end… So it's just the pic above, with modified (by DBD) versions of the pic below on the end...

All the while this bike has been on the road it's been running (purposely) a bit sooty in that I had 175 main jets installed, but now I've stepped down to the standard 170s.

Over the 50 or so miles I've done since the change I've not noticed any detrimental effect. If anything the bike seems to start a little easier (though it ought not make any difference in that throttle range - see pic below) and is certainly happier at full throttle/revs (where the difference ought to show - see pic below)

Either way I'll monitor it over the next tank full of fuel & see what happens... Of course the pipes are far too short to be anywhere near the optimum resonant length for scavenging etc., but I do prefer them stubby
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #3156
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The shipping container is just to live in, with a batpole connecting it to the garage above, nothing more sinister or amusing I'm afraid

I'd looked at the Acewell series and been quite impressed by their functionality but could never afford/justify the spend for them. Was it easy to install & get all the features/lights running properly? Being a skint skinflint who crashes a lot I've gone for simple £2.99 bicycle speedos on all my builds - Lidl does some lovely ones
acewell. got high beam light indacator lights and speedo woking cant be arsed trying to get neurtal light to much grief dont need it for a mot anyway , got the acewell of a mate if i had the cash would have a motogadget maybe next year

jings screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 10:35 AM
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #3157
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #3158
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
If anything the bike seems to start a little easier...
Shouldn't have said that... Waterlogged electrics again led to no starty starty... Can't find gif of old computer game where bloke kicks bike all day... Grrrrrr...
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #3159
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
MZ manual??
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #3160
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

'Kalunga failed to get his bike to start and was losing valuable time. He then walked to the middle of the track and threw himself on the ground pretending to be badly injured in an attempt to get the race red-flagged.'
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #3161
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

what a tosser
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #3162
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup View Post
MZ manual??
Well, could be shown there too?, or the throttle illustrated may remind you of an MZs?, but in this case the pic was hoiked from page 11 of The Big Book Of Bings
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #3163
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:

'Kalunga failed to get his bike to start and was losing valuable time. He then walked to the middle of the track and threw himself on the ground pretending to be badly injured in an attempt to get the race red-flagged.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
what a tosser
I know, he must be an ex-footballer?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e43_1348280333
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #3164
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ennui indeed...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #3165
planktonnn OP