ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.62%
Nasty? 28 13.15%
Nasty but nice? 156 73.24%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #4546
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup View Post
Not like Mr Cauty's though!
Never met JC but did various work for his sometime associate Mr B Drummond, with Zed (Mark Manning?) of Zodiac Mindwarp. Vaguely related to their trip up the Congo & the resultant book. Info on request. Last I heard JC was driving his tank around a field somewhere (I think) in the Southwest?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #4547
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,875
The sidecar's nice, but THIS:
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #4548
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
The sidecar's nice, but THIS:
Troo, but I've always been a sukka for a racing sidecar chassis. In the late 70's I cobbled together an unengined chassis based on a long aluminium box section I found in a skip, with heavy duty bicycle parts & the remains of a Puch moped. We used to get it towed to the top of medium grade hills and scramble down round the curves all day long. At that time the sidecar racing was full of chassis like the BEO, various LCRs & the Saymaz. Maybe not for purists but then I guess they would have baulked at the introduction of the early kneelers, and they certainly saw the death of the marvellous Greenwood -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US80O...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dSJ...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRO--...yer_detailpage

Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #4549
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Don't get me wrong. I've always been a fan of sidecar racing, since the early days when BMW dominated. What's not to like...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #4550
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
What's not to like...
Indeed!
rightsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #4551
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

and...

Rennsport!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #4552
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=MMIiBYhuk08

More info @ http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...t-of-nothing-1
Old 08-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #4553
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

'It brought to mind my first visit to Monza as a reporter, when I had been riding in the motorcycle Grand Prix the week before and while the others returned home to base, I stayed on and borrowed a Vespa Scooter for getting about. Motor Sport were sending a photographer out by air “…and would I meet him at the airport?” I had never been to Milan airport before and in those days it was at Malpensa, some 30 miles away. On that Vespa the journey seemed never ending, and I arrived rather late not realising that airline passengers had luggage. Our photographer was very tolerant and sat on the pillion all the way back to Milan, holding his suitcase in one hand and his camera bag in the other. At 45mph on the Autostrada it was quite a trip.'

'Leaving the Zandvoort circuit the morning after the Dutch GP I was riding through some mid-morning traffic when I was conscious of a Lancia coupe in front of me, with a GB plate on the back and a London registration. There were three people in it and all I could see of the driver was a bald patch on the back of his head, and some wispy side-burns. The car was threading its way past the Dutch locals in a very fluid manner, using all the available space and passing things with superb judgement. On my BMW motorcycle it was easy to follow the Lancia and I thought ‘that old codger is driving jolly well. I suppose he’s an enthusiast who has been to the Grand Prix.’ Intrigued by the scene I drew up alongside at some traffic lights and looked down. It was Stirling Moss! Old codger indeed, he must be at least 10 years younger than me.'

Excerpts from the reminiscences of Jenks with a view behind the '77 F1 season...

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1977ItalianGP02.jpg
Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #4554
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
I remember reading DSJ's articles way back in the "Motorsport" when they still had the proper green with white stripes covers.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #4555
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
BMW MOTORRAD from Giorgio Oppici on Vimeo.

Has this been posted? I dont know. I can only move foward.

Tanami screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 08:31 PM Reason: insert mindless dribble
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #4556
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I remember reading DSJ's articles way back in the "Motorsport" when they still had the proper green with white stripes covers.
Ah, back then I was getting hand me down Autosport magazine & the tabloids Motorsport News, Motorcycle Weekly & Motorcycle News each week. I never read much Jenks as I had no source for 2nd user Motor Sport, but I got plenty of Roebuck* via Autosport so that was a kind of Jenks V2.0? Of course his insight in & inside news in '5th Column' was always worth a read. I had a chatette with him @ Rockingham in '01 while we all stood around waiting for a square metre weeper to calm its tits in the abortive 1st day of the CART race @ Rockingham.

The race was quite good when they finally took to the track. I always felt that the teams not running on the two practice days was far more related to the jitters clearly evident amongst the teams around the paddock & pits, what with the event being so soon after 11/09, and a week after the Zanardi big one at Lausitz...

The 2002 Rockingham race was a little better organised, and tho/ough the Brands Hatch based London Grandprix of 03 was a processional fuel race they were going for it in practice & qualifying, and it was very good to see the CART fire breathers back where I'd seen USAC in the October of '78, (along with the Silverstone Race the weekend before).

I still don't get copies of Motor Sport, but the monthly podcast is always worth a listen, link on the front page @ http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ or via iTunes @ https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...st/id328064082

Mostly now I tend to get given Classic Bike, & Classic Racer, and then hand them on to pjcr12monthlyservice. I can't stand to read Motor Cycle News as it somehow seems to have descended into an obsequious Ad Rag with the transplanted half rotted Brane of the News Of The World installed - unless they choose to publish me, in which case they are very nice & wise & you should buy it every week oh yes

* I had no idea he drove a Renault F1 @ Ricard in '82. I wonder what car he drove? But after spending all day wallpapering** I guess that search is for another day.
** Gardening & decorating. Both will be banned on My Island.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #4557
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Rennsport! (pic)
That's fiiiiiiine. Have it in my shed by Friday and we'll say no more about it
Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #4558
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanami View Post

BMW MOTORRAD from Giorgio Oppici on Vimeo.

Has this been posted? I dont know. I can only move foward.
Rings a bell & I'm not hunting back for it and I can't see it on my 'Slower Than Dial Up SIM Dongle Connection' so I had to go somewhere else to view it, but either way it's a good watch

If you were to hitch a ride on Rightsideups proposed 3 wheeler you might be lucky, he may have fitted sidecar wheel drive via the rear hub & added reverse gear, which would solve your 'only going forwards' thing, if indeed such a thing needs solving?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #4559
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Can't view this on aforementioned slow as slow is slow connection* so I'll just put this here for myself to see some other time -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0zwFayjXGpg

Via FB Vintage Motor Cycle Club (VMCC)

* Combined with some sort of Flash/Java/Shockwave problem. Sort yourself out HAL.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #4560
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nES2Pjg7TvQ