ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #4561
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,857

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8TzuqpSQs

Inc. the ever delightful Nina Kate, landed in LA hitting parts on Sons of Anarchy & 2 Broke Girls
Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #4562
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Play Loud...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRGa144wEw
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #4563
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

You may vote for the K100 race replica by Ben Kingham/BSK Speedworks @ http://www.mcnbuiltinbritain.co.uk/bib_voting.php?cat=5 tho/ough I can't say I like to registration requirement* or the form it takes.

* Tho/ough of course such a system impedes cookie clearing and multiple voting, as if anyone would do such a thing in any internet context...
Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #4564
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Mining Shit...

http://brandsavant.com/wp-content/uploads/NewImage.png

Sheet 1
Sheet 2
Sheet 3
Sheet 4

The following in response (on 08/08/13) to a general enquiry regarding Online Metrics by a friend who works in a wide variety of idioms including Electronic Arts:

"My dearest Xxxxxx,

In response to your recent general enquiry on FB regarding meaningless online metrics.

As a background to the propositions to follow, if you refer to the attached XLS you’ll note 317,094 hits on the ADVrider thread, with 5000 odd every 12 days or so. Small potatoes, but if I were the miniature company I ought to be I wouldn’t be too unhappy with such numbers, which occur with very little pimping of the thread other than that which you see at FB. I say this in a factual rather than demi boastful sense, but it could be said it's generally the highest viewed thread on the forum, once you exclude the multi-poster ‘Show Us Your Airhead Café Racer’ type communal threads. On the other hand the total hit number is probably less than the monthly average on a middling MILF Panty site?

So let’s be clear, none of this means anything as the numbers are meaningless in themselves*, but they are also meaningless as indicators of overall worldly worth (of it or me), or the quality/texture of the content & editorial tone. This content vacillates between found material (mostly connected to a specific range of motosickles manufactured between 1969 – 1986, which the target audience has an interest in) punctuated with bursts of my general whining or simplistic observations, prepositions & fabricated conclusions.

I know that little of this is relative to the question you asked, but it occurred to me to say it all anyway.

To put it with brutal simplicity, in the main the metrics only serve to give some sense that I’m not whimpering into the abyss, therefore forming a simulacrum of self worth or imaginary personal value, as reflected in the enumerated visits of others. Hit-rates are of very limited efficacy in this role, but it has it’s place in self evaluation. I don’t like that, but it’s true. It leaves me with the feeling that I’m not entirely wrong in my taste or observations, or at least that some others somewhere or other are as bent & rusted as I am. So, when the speaker at the conference on Social Media** I recently went to asked why attendees used social media and I replied in a joke pitiable tone ‘Because we’re all lonely’, I wasn’t so wrong?

Now the imaginary profile-actic is ok, and the edge-ranking bollox I heard all about (again) at the recent conference is all very well. But this setting is missing the (to me) vital component of monetisation (we all need to make a shilling or ten). I have nothing to sell and no mechanism to sell that zero thru/ough. When it comes to persons appreciating ones output, in many senses you can’t beat a bit of cash conversion. No, it’s not the be all & end all, but it is a way of translating ones efforts into exchangeable ‘Wage Labour’ as Marx might term it*** And what use are hit rates when they don’t ease the action of day to day living? Value is not solely judged by money, but it’s surely the most helpfully practical of measures?

And so perhaps the numbers generate only the aforementioned confirmatory function, and this, when all is said & done, is simple vanity.

I guess the one aspect missing from discussion at the conference was any thoughts on crowd funding. A concept pre-dated by your 'Million Dollar Year.' How might it fare now with an existent formalised donation infrastructure & increased culture of public engagement? You did it before it was the done thing. But, if we were to (temporarily) accept that revenue were the most helpfully practical & eminently measurable metric, then the achievement of crowd funding targets might be considered more meaningful than like/follows/other metrics?

So what characteristics are to be observed in successful (by the terms above) or unsuccessful campaigns? What kind of requests are met with cash giving, and which not? What size of finance is most easily achieved? Do the major platforms retain a ‘for the people’ feel or are major organisations pressing in? What frauds have occurred? Do people donate to themselves in a mirror of running up the play numbers of Myspaz? N ting…

No claim to insight, just some thoughts I typed out & sent to you.

Your ever loving AsstroNought,

Planktonianus.

* i.e. the viewer may have their preferences set to show 100 posts, so the database there may leap as a result of only one unique hit, or it may count visits irrespective of the users preferences, counting each as a unique single visitor – who knows?
** PDF of slideshow available at link.
*** As referred to in the You-tube jobs post by Dearest PH in your FB thread."
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #4565
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Aaaaaand finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post

ADVr Sample 1Wk. D.

SAMPLE No. DATE '13 TIME TIME GAP (approx) TOTAL VIEWS VIEWS SINCE LAST VIEWS SINCE 1 Daily Running
1 Sat 17th 9.20 am 10hrs 320,572 212 0

2 " 11.25 pm 14hrs 320,751 179 179 391 8,962
3 Sun 18th 11.00 pm 24hrs 321,091 340 519 576 9,538
4 Mon 19th 2.00 pm 15hrs 321,327 236 755

5 " 11.20 pm 9hrs 321,495 168 923 404 9,942
6 Tue 20th 11.00 am 12hrs 321,625 130 1,053

7 " 11.00 pm 12hrs 321,755 130 1,183 260 10,202
8 Wed 21st 11.00 pm 24hrs 322,241 486 1,669
9 Thur 22nd 11.00 pm 24hrs 322,741 500 2,169
10 Fri 23rd 11.00 pm 24hrs 322,995 254 2,423

Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #4566
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
The breakdown must be borne in mind as well.
  • New hits
  • Participants in the thread
  • Rubber neckers with no real interest
  • etc
I'd be pissed-off if adverts continually popped up.
In any case finding a suitable (associatable ?) product for this thread would be "interesting".
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #4567
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
In any case finding a suitable (associatable ?) product for this thread would be "interesting".
Er...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #4568
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZ7OjiyId4
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #4569
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Championship winner @ http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/blog.html#BEARS%20Race%20Series%20Winners%20-%2027%20Aug%202013

Info & zoom of pic @ link
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #4570
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Question Hmmmmm...

What might cause the headlight to intermittently dim as the engine is revved?

Battery?
Bulb? Holder?
Charging system?
Relay?
Wiring?
Entire fucking electrical system?

Grrr.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #4571
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
An Electrical-Tactician writes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
What might cause the headlight to intermittently dim as the engine is revved?

Battery?
Bulb? Holder?
Charging system?
Relay?
Wiring?
Entire fucking electrical system?
Yes, you've got it pretty much narrowed down there, planktomaximus. Now, in order to address the situation correctly, I suggest you take the following action:-

As we know, electrical problems are largely a psycho-emotional mind -fuck that needs an irrational approach to take the fucker by surprise...proceed by immediately changing the compressed-air content of both tyres and polishing the petrol tank until it shines....this may not cure your electrical problem, but you will at least be showing the bastard who's the boss in your garage*.

Alternatively, for a vanilla approach, work your way systematically through your entire wiring harness with a tester, a piece of emery paper and a can of WD40. After cleaning and abrading all connections, including earths, and replacing relays, you will arrive at a point whereby you will either identify and repair the malfunction, or not, as the case may be. I hope this helps.

* I know you aren't rich enough to have a garage, and neither am I, but I think it behoves us to keep up appearances in this world of man-castles and suchlike.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #4572
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
Yes, you've got it pretty much narrowed down there, planktomaximus. Now, in order to address the situation correctly, I suggest you take the following action:-

As we know, electrical problems are largely a psycho-emotional mind -fuck that needs an irrational approach to take the fucker by surprise...proceed by immediately changing the compressed-air content of both tyres and polishing the petrol tank until it shines....this may not cure your electrical problem, but you will at least be showing the bastard who's the boss in your garage*.

Alternatively, for a vanilla approach, work your way systematically through your entire wiring harness with a tester, a piece of emery paper and a can of WD40. After cleaning and abrading all connections, including earths, and replacing relays, you will arrive at a point whereby you will either identify and repair the malfunction, or not, as the case may be. I hope this helps.

* I know you aren't rich enough to have a garage, and neither am I, but I think it behoves us to keep up appearances in this world of man-castles and suchlike.
starter motor brushes
jings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #4573
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
starter motor brushes
Bit confused by this one, were you meaning stator brush which contacts the rotor outer collar?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #4574
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post

Will do

Not getting anything from the charger circuit when measured at the battery, so I'm thinking (in no particular order) the charging light bypass graft in the loom; the generator rotor and/or stator or stator brush; the umbilical to the Electrex World regulator/rectifier, or the reg/itself; or one of its connectors to the battery.

I've got a spare umbilical & reg/rec, so that'll be the first point of call after checking the charging light bypass...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #4575
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Mmmmmmm - http://www.animatedengines.com/index.html