ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #4576
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Not getting anything from the charger circuit when measured at the battery, so I'm thinking (in no particular order) the charging light bypass graft in the loom; the generator rotor and/or stator or stator brush; the umbilical to the Electrex World regulator/rectifier, or the reg/itself; or one of its connectors to the battery.

I've got a spare umbilical & reg/rec, so that'll be the first point of call after checking the charging light bypass...
Charge light bypass was seemingly ok, with no corrosion or loose wires on any of the bullet connectors* All the reg/rec umbilical connectors at the generator were also seemingly happy, as was the stator brush (for want of a better term).

Out of all the options previously mentioned I chose to swap the reg/rec first as it's the next easiest bit to get to. It's bolted to the back of the rear mudfenderguard under the seat. Were I to have a standard or single seat fitted this would be even easier but I have a hand hammered sheet steel pan fitted, which requires the top subframe bolts to be loosened** & three screws to be removed so it's still a bit of a faff. But anyway, once it was jury rigged in & connected to the battery I took the bike for a run with a volt meter strapped to the tank and it showed a good voltage flowing from the generator when measured at the battery terminals, so for now at least the charging issue seems sorted. I dismanted the seat again to allow access to properly secure the reg/rec, then tested it again and it still worked so fingers crossed...

At first the lights still played up a little as before, but a little wiggling of the loom where it enters the headlight shell saw this seemingly sorted. So far the previously reported left jug misfire seems un-present, but the real test of this one will be next time it rains, as it mostly presents itself when the electrics are a bit sodden. We'll see. I suppose I ought to prepare myself for the probability of having to get at the connector board in the headlight to make sure the light flickering doesn't emanate from a problem in there...

The trouble with this kind of thing is that all the general fiddling & prodding may be the thing that sorts it & I'll never know. Well I say never. Of course when the fault waggles itself back out of kilter & the issue comes back it's source may become apparent Anyway I prefer to try to sort this kind of thing step by step so I have at least some idea of the location of the fault.

In theory.

So one of the things that was stopping me taking 25 mile ride over to Silverstone for the 1st Practice Day of the MOTOGP tomorrow seems to have been sorted. I didn't fancy getting stranded on one of the obscure country lanes which form the quickest/easiest route there. But the partially formed plan of possible attendance is scuppered anyway as my fortnightly pay has failed to materialise so I'm shot for the 20 cash entrance fee, which would have been a stretch anyway. I can't say I'm in the mood for riding over there & begging at the gate (again)...

I believe the colloquial is FML.

* I know, I know, but you'se uses what you'se has huh?
** Under which the front of the seat pan is secured.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #4577
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Bit confused by this one, were you meaning stator brush which contacts the rotor outer collar?
I know one thing brother the bloody starter motor brushes worn down past there service limit did all sorts of wierd things to ma k100 took weeks to figure out new brushes and bingo all is well with the beast something to do with earthing out through the frame bloody germans
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #4578
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
I know one thing brother the bloody starter motor brushes worn down past there service limit did all sorts of wierd things to ma k100 took weeks to figure out new brushes and bingo all is well with the beast something to do with earthing out through the frame bloody germans
Fair enough, I'll hoik the top cover off & have a stab at the starter, needs a lube anyhoo
Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #4579
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4qP8qfSZAmw
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #4580
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #4581
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Via the DG

Old 08-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #4582
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Galleries @ http://leehollickphotography.zenfoli...045D#h6c2fe27d & http://leehollickphotography.zenfoli...F25F#h602d18a6
Old 08-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #4583
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=inc9cGasgsA
Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #4584
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPx8a...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4585
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Clc7tzDcs

Four wheels not two, but plenty of Mike Hailwood to make up for that. Somewhat sensationalist & graphic regarding the Roger Williamson crash, but overall an interesting take on F1 circa '73.

Other general rare footage I've not seen before so quite interesting from that point of view. CAUTION: May contain gratuitous titties in a 'handsome F1 driver cavorts on an early '70s nudist beach' kinda way...

planktonnn screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 11:13 AM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #4586
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WFLBRtAak_...7440493798.jpg

info @ http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...-big-tank.html
Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #4587
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Results for the search term 'george bush bank germany'...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #4588
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Art Garfunkel talking between studio takes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkNSjyTCovM&feature=youtu.be

Embedding dis-enabled.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #4589
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIA5dL7VJxg
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #4590
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat