ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.36%
Nasty? 28 12.90%
Nasty but nice? 160 73.73%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #4846
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post

In a moment of semi-lucid responsible-ness I feel duty bound to make clear this is somebody elses amusing work & sometime way back in this thread I grafted Pjcr12s face on, however I have no reference to give credit for the original idea/execution, which tickled me & still does.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #4847
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 678
Quote:

Had a fondness for little hats, didn't he? :)

(Didn't know the guy, but I sure miss his posts)

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #4848
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Had a fondness for little hats, didn't he? :)
Well, he had a very varied wardrobe, tho/ough sometimes I was a little concerned...

Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #4849
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 678
Now's the perfect time for rubbing an eraser on my eyeballs.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6

Thorazine screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 05:29 PM
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #4850
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Now's the perfect time for rubbing an eraser on my eyeballs.
Yes, I can understand that. None of the three Chappees pictured there was actually pjcr12. They were all the result of a very unsuccessful experiment in DIY done in the shed cloning that, as you can see, went horribly wrong...
Old 03-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #4851
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

planktonnn screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 03:08 AM Reason: Pic add...
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 AM   #4852
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Dearest Rubber Necking Humanzees,

Please could you let me know if the embedded player in the last post shows up & works? On my system sometime Soundcloud embeds don't show, but I think that's here at this end...

The track is from http://deathboy.bandcamp.com/album/bitscapes

Yours,

The Vicarious Train Wreck Man xx
Old 03-01-2014, 03:45 AM   #4853
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Yep it shows up and works, I'm all outta e's though so only listened to a few
seconds
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #4854
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambozo View Post
Yep it shows up and works, I'm all outta e's though so only listened to a few seconds
Thank you kindly :-)
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #4855
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Might part of it be The Good Wicked Woman?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #4856
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ongoing repairs...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCDvnTKfZO_VHkoTxL53w9m1zO9mG9n qo6G1l29zvDcIlqjf8G

Well now, there’s a funny thing. Although I’ve yet to see what the bike is like on a morning cold start, or when it gets soaked thru/ough by rain, I may perhaps appear possibly to have had some effect (so far, finger crossed) on the ‘doesn’t like to cold start the left jug/sometimes coughs back in the left jug/left jug stops altogether’ issue, which I’ve been going on about for ages and recently left me pushing it down the road for two rainy miles.

So, there I am in the car-park of ‘The Place’ thinking to myself “It’s not raining, maybe I could pull the left carb* off and give it a bit of a clean as well as looking at that sticky choke mechanism.” So I drained it & disconnected the pipe, throttle cable & choke wire (it’s one of those ‘no spring on the choke/push-wire not cable’ types) and brought it inside to have a fettle. The intake side was sooty and I was focussed on cleaning the idle jet capillary ways with a bit of soft wire & a can of carb cleaner and that all seemed fine. The choke arm swivelled fine so the sticky problem wasn’t there and had to be in the wire and I was about to go out & put it back on the bike when I noticed a little something. It took me a while because, as you can plainly see (from this & all previous posts) I’m not at my best and therefore wasn’t being properly attentive, so I was very slow. But see if you can get this:

I’d been working on the post-butterfly side and eventually when I eventually turned it round eventually & eventually looked thru/ough the pre-slider rear carb mouth I (at last) eventually noticed eventually that there was no needle… Now, I’ve heard before of the clip grooves wearing or snapping on the needle, or of the little needle position clip coming off and either of these resulting in the needle dropping down and blocking the jet, but I’ve checked with the encyclopaedic knowledge base of Dave & Ian Dave** and tho/ough they too had heard of the needle dropping neither they nor I have ever heard of the opposite happening. A dropped needle would of course block the jet and kill the left side jug encouraging further digging, but because it was intermittently (mostly) running I never thought of that very thing which the problem turned out to be – the retaining clip above the needle had slipped and the needle had risen up into the tower inside the diaphragm chamber. It’s quite an obvious proposition and could happen quite easily but it’s not something I (or the Daves) had ever heard of actually happening. The intake venturi pressure had been lifting the carb slide (thus [maybe] further increasing the air flow into the engine) and the bluddy thing had been sucking fuel out of the needle-free jet. That’s exactly why I chose BMW airheads to play with – HOWEVER YOU FUCK THEM UP THE BLUDDY THINGS WANT TO RUN!?! I dug out another top retaining clip from my big box of bits and secured the needle & it started first time on both sides.

I then had occasion to ask The Daves because I had to take a run out the 5 or so miles there to get a new carb diaphragm as the constant running in this state had stretched the old diaphragm to the point where no sensible Lady would ever consider using it for anything other than being modified into a small handbag. Even with the flappy diaphragm (which was very hard to get back in) the bike was a lot better on the way out to the Daves, and once I got the new one in it was better again. They do a lot of Beemers (there were 6 in for various work or tests just this afternoon) and both ride Airheads themselves. Ian Dave has a lovely scrappy old R, just that sort of bike you often see mechanics ride – not pretty, but they can sort whatever happens. And The Dave himself has at least two, a tasty fast Kafe Racer & a lovely Airhead G/S. So this all means that they usually have most bits you need hung on a nail in the roof beams. It’s unusual to ask them for something they haven’t got three of.

Now… let us remember we must retain an air of sensibility & understand the tricky character of this carbon/calcium reality we ‘live’ in so let’s not get carried away that all is ‘solved’. That which the Puky-verse gives with one spiral arm it viciously grabs back with an unexpected irresistible black hole of “It’s all gone wrong” so I’ll wait & see how the bike is tomorrow. And thence to see what it does when it gets soaked thru/ough, because there’s definitely something up with the somewhat eccentric electrics…

But anyway, in other news - a light may have been switched on.

* 40mm Bings, can’t remember the type number.
** For newer rubber neckers I should of course explain that ALL mechanics that work out in little workshops in the countryside doing all manner of things to all manner of Old Metal On Wheels are called Dave.

planktonnn screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 02:17 AM Reason: Miscounted, went back thru/ough my memory, ammended numbers.
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #4857
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

TSA News...
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #4858
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

32 Badass Vintage Photographs Of Women And Motorcycles.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr05/2013/8/8/17/enhanced-buzz-wide-9071-1375996461-15.jpg

Isn't 21 a pile of Scotts? I love Flying Squirrels :-)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #4859
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
32 Badass Vintage Photographs Of Women And Motorcycles.

Isn't 21 a pile of Scotts? I love Flying Squirrels :-)
The left pair are indeed. And they're "Ladies frames" to boot!

I like #11

Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #4860
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Some cool pictures in there, the Francis Barnett speedo drive? in #14 is a bit
agricultural looking
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote