ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.74%
Nasty? 27 12.80%
Nasty but nice? 155 73.46%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #1366
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
Hmmmm...(+1) What you thinkin' there, planktonio?
Well, nothing much, I like running a modified boxer, and look forward to getting the DMW back. However there are a lot of modded airheads, but very few Ks, and only a few end up not being disgusting... Once the DMW is live I'll have to play with the K. Of course.

Having had a good prod, the only thing I might wonder about for this level of 'rebuild' is cam chain tensioners and/or the chain it self. All a little time away yet...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #1367
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

You see I just don't have an eye for line & form. Only 1 rotational position of the tailpiece is just right in relation to the rear viewed alone, in relation to the line of the bike & form of the tank, & against the lines implied by the frame. But can I see it?!? Feck no... I'm not planning a rebuild of DMW so all fiddling time will probably end up being spent on taking the MeMW to the K2 'development'.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #1368
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Fuller view -
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #1369
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

And a fuller view again -
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #1370
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Well, planktonius, as you know I shy away from displaying my genius, but in this instance I'm willing to give you the benefit of my advice. No, don't thank me, it's the least I can do. As a part of my vast backstory, I suddenly remembered I have an honours degree in Fine Art and, as such, am blessed with an eye for detail, and a penchant for visuality, so in terms of your problems with seat hump orientation, here's my considered opinion.

As you can see, I have drawn some red lines on the MeMW, and called them 'A' and 'B'.....hang on a minute, I've got to go and have a crap....ah, that's better, now these lines - as you will note, they are divergent and, as such, they disturb our mental equilibrium, thereby creating discord in what we call our 'minds'*.

*I know these items are prone to malfunction but, in this case, we can ignore them to a large extent, as we're talking practicalities and not using them in a psycho-philosophical sense which, as we know, is a fucking minefield.

Here's the first pic...
Attached Images

pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #1371
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Now then....using the pirated copy of photoshop on my computer, that a criminal associate of mine* installed many years ago, I have lifted and turned the tank, so as to bring into visual alignment the seat hump and tank, so as to create a harmonious relationship between the two....obviously, I can ignore the physical problems that 'real life' might bring to bear on this, but I'm sure you can bash it about to achieve the effect....

*You
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #1372
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

But that's not all....I have taken the liberty of adding some seat padding to show the 'finished' job. Naturally, I accept that your life is blighted by a diminished inside-leg measurement*, and that you may or may not go down the route of having a nice thick pad for your scrawny arse, but I thought it looked nice.....also, I'd just like to state at this point that I woke up this morning**like a bi-polar bear with a sore head, and having the opportunity to do these 3 posts, lifted my mood massively and actually had me laughing both to, and at, myself. Not many people realise that the ADV old's cool section has psychotherapeutic qualities. Thank fuck, is all I can say.

*Have you considered stack heels, at all?
Attached Images

pjcr12 screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 05:12 AM
Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #1373
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

See I was seeing this, see? -
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #1374
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Question Today is no spelling day, and no edit day, and no know day

The tail would be a little shorter anyway, off the front. Behind the seat back you'll recall there's the vertical welded on hoop, and the tail would be beaten around & rivetted to this? There'll be a mud fender guard on the bottom edge of it, one of those cut down K front fenders I used before, and of course the lights & plate. There'll need to be some kind of subframe inside to support the tail & the light/plate/mud fender guard, and I was playing with a self-rigidising-rivetted-semi-stressed-member-monocoque tail structure, but then I just thought keep it simple stupid.

The previous engine could go back in even at that mileage, at least as an installation test*, but if another came up, especially a low mileage donation via one of the many & various millionaires that hang around this place for the smell of men in leather & breakfast frying in gearbox oil then... I'm just saying, if any of you people have a K75 engine spare you'd like to give over to the 'Department Of Similar To Science Like Experimentation' (DoStSLE for all you acronymisists out there) right here @ MFM then I'd be much more than more than happy (that's a LOT), as a sorta memorial dedicational recognition thing, to sign your name on the first speeding ticket.

And while you're at it can I have 4 pot calipers off the 1100 all round, an S type bellypan & mounts, and one of those double knuckle parateleduolever rear ends from the late Ks, and a better rad (No really on that one), and drillled floating disks, and the three spoked wheels? And, and. No, I don't want any of that** - MeMW K2 shouldn't be flashy in any way, no polish, no chrome, no clear coat, no paint. Just what it is. Plain plastic & metal.

I'd always fancied something like this with clip-ons, but this K1100 tank I'm using is quite wide & without cutting & reverse welding scollops (sp?) then the bars would have to be pretty wide, which is not my preference, as if I know what the fuck I'm talking about & my ass could tell the differance. But anyway I much prefer the swooping chuckable handling these (c type?) bars give it. The higher bars on the airhead STD1 are very like that compared to the flat low narrow bars (& K front end) on the airhead DMW (& even the S type bars) which all mean you have to work the thing down into a corner as DBD described in his last book 'Until The Last Left-hander' on his observation of his modulation of riding styles during the Anglesey or Pembrey (i forget?) track day. Before the crash.

Whereas the current MeMW bars, and the height & leverage they offer, mean all swooping chuckable as above. I might like to try S type bars I have, however I had left the front & rear suspension/bars/pegs all as they were when I last rode it, at which point it was pretty well set up. The Hagon on the back is lovely & dialed in to 1/8th turn either way of just right, and the front has heavy fluid, progressive springs & air pressure/preload caps, & I could get a lot more heat into the front tyre, which always makes me more confident. I'd thought of a little battery in the tail, if I could get something small/light enough in a sealed gel form for p-nuts (impossible), but anything heavy & you're talking great swinging levers of mass decentralisation***

As far as 'design' goes with the tail, I'm seeing it completing lines that are already there. ?. The one pic I don't have is from the rear (isn't it always the way girls? (pls read in the tone of ironic sexism)) but anyway the one thing compared to a rat boxer is that where the boxer gets the 'Oh, I see what you've done there boy... (taps pipe out on your tank)', then this one gets various varying variations of 'WFT YOU CHARLATON etc!?!', which is of course ++ more fun as I seem to childishly delight in reafirming that I don't give a fuck about your value structure. Love it, loathe it - either way fuck you.

I imagine this is what Dr They might call an issue? Perhaps I should work on it, or something. I'm not bothered about all that 'I came back & a crowd had gathered' guff you get in the magazines but I am partial to a little public outrage. The Classic Bike 'Bike of the Year' is currently up for 'people who renovated their own bikes', but then the text shows the frame going here & the tins going there & the engine rebuilt by so-and-so. No great disrespect but at the very least I just don't have the cash to do it that way. Of course the value structure the magazine sets is compatible with all those advertising said services in said mag sooooo...

Re: Top Gear, my only thought is that the original Outro soundtrack over the end credits (different from the title sequence music) was very good, and though I was verily disappointed to learn it's an Elton John track (or edit thereof) I still couldn't bring myself to hate it, even though he is a sickening self-absorbed cunt (bring it on Reg!?!)

* i.e. test electrics & fuel etc. then jack new free engine in just like what da real boyz duz
** I do. Especially the engine & rad. + belly pan.
*** Apparently the original title of 'Great Balls of Fire' I'm told. I think the best title won out, don't you?
Attached Images

planktonnn screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 12:51 PM Reason: Pic didn't add
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1375
Bloo
Jack Russel Dodger

Oddometer: 97
K vs. Air

Since you guys are on the subject of Planks K. I was wondering what a k is like to ride. Some have told me they are heavier and less nimble. However, I have never ridden one and am curious as there seems to be a lot of them around here kinda cheap. I like the look of the older K75s but other than aesthetics know nothing else about them. Are they as reliable as the twins?

Also, I like the look of bare metal bikes so I think you are onto something there Planktonn. I can't visualize how it would look without the engine hanging in the frame. That big gaping hole is throwing me off. But, as usual, what the hell do I know?
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #1376
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

planktonnn...re the wish for a sealed/gell battery, the one on the STD1 is such, and as such might lay down into your hump....ooh missus

bloo...regarding K's. I am a world expert on the subject, as opposed to planktonnn's galactic expertise, but you can trust what I say because I'm older than him, and therefore more intelligent....also more paranoid*, but that's by-the-by...so K's eh? Here in Blighty, it's possible to score a real bargain, which is no help to you, but I thought I'd mention it. As to reliability/longevity, it's quite possible to take a K up to light year mileage (250,000 miles isn't unheard of, with the usual oil-changes and maintenance) and the 75's, the 100's, and my favourite the late K1100's, are speedy fuckers. I had a really nice K100RS for a while, which scared me in a nice way, and was a real nice cruising bike, to boot. It would sit all day at a ton, handled really well and stopped quickly, and in a straight line. There is a buzz, and not in a good way, with the K's though, which irritates some riders, but which can be minimised with 'bar end-weights....if you've got the cash, and the inclination, and a nice clean, low-mileage example turns up, with service history, then grab it. As to the 75's, I have ridden planktonnn's MeMW and was surprised by it's pulling power, and he's right about the higher bars, they enable a more hooligan riding style which is fun. I've found that the lower RS bars can throw your weight onto your wrists a bit on a long run, but then I'm extra tall, and old, which doesn't help.

* For instance, the ADV site was down for a while today, and I thought we'd been banned for naughtiness....crazy, but true.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #1377
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

By the way, here's an example of a veg-powered K that I taunted planktonnn with a while ago, and as I haven't posted it for a while, I thought I'd put it up again just for the hell of it....
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #1378
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

planktonnn, forget what I said about the gel battery on the STD1, I now realise I was talking bollocks...it's actually on the Greatest Airhead In The World, that I sold to DBD...you'll have to sneak around to his shed under cover of darkness and steal it, but worth doing in my opinion as they're quite expensive otherwise, although I got it off fleabay for 15, which was a bargain......but, as the DMW seems quite happy with that tiddly little 9AH battery, I'd suggest you look out for a sealed/gel off a horticultural appliance of some sort, i.e. up at Astral's 'farm'. Again, night time's best for that kind of thing, ok?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #1379
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
I suddenly remembered I have an honours degree in Fine Art and, as such, am blessed with an eye for detail, and a penchant for visuality
Mee too!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #1380
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
Since you guys are on the subject of Planks K. I was wondering what a k is like to ride. Some have told me they are heavier and less nimble. However, I have never ridden one and am curious as there seems to be a lot of them around here kinda cheap. I like the look of the older K75s but other than aesthetics know nothing else about them. Are they as reliable as the twins?

Also, I like the look of bare metal bikes so I think you are onto something there Planktonn. I can't visualize how it would look without the engine hanging in the frame. That big gaping hole is throwing me off. But, as usual, what the hell do I know?
They're great bikes. Much more durable and refined than an aulde airhead.

But they're heavier.
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote