User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
AtlantaDR OP
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 129
Kendon Dual Stand-Up Trailer

Last week I sold my 2005 Kendon Motorcycle Trailer because I was moving from Los Angeles to Atlanta and did not have the right vehicle to tow the bikes, and no time to ride them. So, my plan was to put them in the back of a rental truck.

Within days of selling this great trailer I was regretting the decision, and was back on Craigslist looking for another one. Fortunately for me I found a 2010 model in great condition and it is now "standing up" in the back of my garage. I found a rental truck with a hitch, and am all set to tow them to Georgia.

The reason for my post is to say that I think Kendon makes a great trailer. While it costs a little bit more, it is easy to load, easy to tie down. carry's 2000 pounds, and pulls like a dream. And if you are tight for space, it sits in the corner of your garage till you need it. They also hold their value well, as this is my third one and I was able to sell the other two for exactly what I paid for them. Would be interested if there are Kendon owners that agree or disagree.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
ouray rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Great

On my 2nd one. everything u said in spades
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
exman
amateur-enthusiast

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR View Post
Last week I sold my 2005 Kendon Motorcycle Trailer because I was moving from Los Angeles to Atlanta and did not have the right vehicle to tow the bikes, and no time to ride them. So, my plan was to put them in the back of a rental truck.

Within days of selling this great trailer I was regretting the decision, and was back on Craigslist looking for another one. Fortunately for me I found a 2010 model in great condition and it is now "standing up" in the back of my garage. I found a rental truck with a hitch, and am all set to tow them to Georgia.

The reason for my post is to say that I think Kendon makes a great trailer. While it costs a little bit more, it is easy to load, easy to tie down. carry's 2000 pounds, and pulls like a dream. And if you are tight for space, it sits in the corner of your garage till you need it. They also hold their value well, as this is my third one and I was able to sell the other two for exactly what I paid for them. Would be interested if there are Kendon owners that agree or disagree.
I'm just about to modify my pick up truck to carry two bikes in the back. I would be happy with some pics of your trailer, just to observe the hardware ( position of gutters, tie anchors etc). With the tailgate down my Mitsubishi L200 truck has only 6'7'' of usable length, everything has to be packed well otherwise I might get into triple "u" (unexpected unfortunate unload). I know my request has almost nothing to do with your post, I apologize myself but begging you for help still.
exman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I love the trailer, such an improvement over the HF red thing it replaced. I do have a few issues with it though;
1) the casters are crap, each one has shattered.
2) it requires a giant drop down hitch, otherwise the ass end scrapes everything.
3) have to use caribiners or shackles on all tie down strap ends. Bikes can rock far enough to each side that regular tie down hooks can unhook themselves.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
AtlantaDR OP
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
I love the trailer, such an improvement over the HF red thing it replaced. I do have a few issues with it though;
2) it requires a giant drop down hitch, otherwise the ass end scrapes everything.
3) have to use caribiners or shackles on all tie down strap ends. Bikes can rock far enough to each side that regular tie down hooks can unhook themselves.
1. Can't disagree about the casters. Did you find good replacement ones and where did you find them?
2. Works perfectly with my 2-wheel drive Chevy truck, but can see that it might not work as well with a 4x4 or high-end truck.
3. I use retractable ratchets and they seem to work great.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
kendon

there the best.only not for the ship/wreck tool crowd.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
I always back the tie downs with a Bungee cord. So if the rig bounces and the suspension compresses on the bike the hooks are held tight and can flip off.

I've seen at least 5 bikes come off trailers,, all the same symptom.. Bump,, tip,, OH SH** screeeechhh Its great when they fall on the tire and get a nice flat spin over the guard rail.. :(

Favorite on the road: $40K worth of high end quads behind a $80K motorhome on a POS 500 dollar trailer..

Dave
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
Agree 100%

I love my Kendon.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
The casters do suck, haven't broken any but they just don't roll very well. Got a buddy that replaced his with some from Home Depot. Probably do that later this year.

I've got a stock height 4X4 Tundra and I use the same hitch that I use on my enclosed trailer.

I've had tie down hooks come off in the back of my truck, and on other trailers including my enclosed trailer with E track. I learned long ago to use bungies tied into the tie downs to keep them tight to prevent that from happening.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I learned that lesson by watching someone else's mistake as well. The center tie down to subframe is a lifesaver.

Also, is you've wondered, it is totally possible to fit a third bike down the center at least when hauling standard dirt bikes. There are 3 bikes on board pretty much every time I use the trailer. Load the center one first, use rachet straps front and rear.

A receiver hitch on a 2wd is probably ok, but the bumper mounted ball on a 2wd f150 was too high, and my mildly liftted grand cherokee requires an 8inch drop.

Harbor freight had some larger diameter casters that fit the mounting bolt pattern. No problems since, and now it rolls over cement edges too.

I've seen people run bungies successfully, but I have an (earned) distrust of them. I prefer soft handlebar loops like these

http://www.ratchetstraps.com/handleb...%28set-of-2%29

with a threaded shackle connecting the loop of the soft strap to the metal circle part of the tie down hook.

One day I'd like to outfit the whole thing with bolt-on marine transom rachet straps, lift the trailer a little bit ( think there's a torsion bar in there), and maybe get larger wheels and tires.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
cobrags
Lost ADVR

Oddometer: 656
Major problem for me was the aluminum diamond plate, to slippery while sand/wet/snow. Extruded aluminium would be better.

Of all the roads you take, Make sure a few of them are dirt.

cobrags screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 01:14 PM
cobrags is offline   Reply With Quote