Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #46
mtguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Fallkniven F1 is my favorite knife. Simple, robust, holds an edge. I didn't care for the sheath that came with it, so i purchased one off of ebay handmade buy a guy in England: http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDMADE-LEATHER...3286.m63.l1177

mtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat
.......depending on steel option F1s cost between the same as and double a Foxwell custom, where you get to specify handle material, sheath, blade grind etc.

Still, it's a far better option than the Klingon killing daggers that will inevitably get suggested.

holy moly, the foxwells must be a screamin' deal for customs- f1's only cost a hundred bucks! do you have a link? i'd like to check them out!
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #48
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosmitetom
The best survival knife is the one you have on you when the shit hits the fan. You ain't gonna have the Kabar when you really need it . . . or any big sheath knife for that matter. A good pocket knife is the answer. I carry a Victorinox made for the German army, a little bigger than an ordinary Swiss Army knife (longer blade) with only sawblade/can opener, corkscrew (essential) and awl. It has a lanyard hole (essential). I have it attached to my body unless I am nekked.
+1 on the Swiss Army or LeatherMan types of knives. I've fixed more stuff with these types of knives than you can shake a stick at. One time in Batman Turkey, I de-paneled an F-15 Engine Bay with with a SOG multi-tool. Later that day I field cleaned a large critter for a make-due dinner. Very handy. These types of tools have given me the most service when nothing else was available. Of course having the correct tool is better but these multi tools serve well in a pinch.
Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #49
yosmitetom
Banned

Oddometer: 3,354
Yeah, a Leatherman or clone should be stuffed away somewhere in everyone's gear, not only a knife in a pinch but all sorts of other tools that sure are nice in a pinch. Ever try to open a can with a knife?

I love knives, have bunches of 'em including a bunch of customs. I carry a sheath knife (small one) when I hunt and plan to field dress game. I used to wear a small sheath knife all the time (small one, 2 1/2" blade with sheath that fit on my belt crossways in the front). I can't imagine anyone gettin' by unhassled wearin' any kind of sheath knife even if you don't have to go into any public buildings with security.

yosmitetom screwed with this post 08-31-2009 at 03:00 PM
yosmitetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #50
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
possibly not the finest selling point for an Aussie.

Oops. Just picture a slaughtered Kangaroo with the knife instead of a deer.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #51
KingRat
Stroppy.

Oddometer: 25,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357
holy moly, the foxwells must be a screamin' deal for customs- f1's only cost a hundred bucks! do you have a link? i'd like to check them out!
http://www.akg.org.au/component/opti...d,37/catid,35/

foxwellknife@yahoo.com.au

The necker is about 85

An F1 is about 85 here also...
KingRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #52
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,651
Kukri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Let me add rationale to why I carry the Kukri:

1. It is a fixed knife, so can take the beat of chopping thick wood and building a shelter (have done that before with the same knife when I was a Venture Scout in Lebanon...that thing ate through anything we threw it at)
2. It is nose heavy...after the 50th chop you will get tired and if you are "surviving", calories count...with that weight all you do is lift and that's that...
3. The manner the blade is done you actually get 3 blades in one...that is, there are 3 sections with 3 different sharpening levels...tip sharp enough to penetrate, belly enough to chop (least sharp) and the inside is the sharpest to slice/gut/etc...
4. It is large enough that you don't lose it
5. Although not great at it, you can flint off of it (if the stars are aligned and such...ya know...)

Hard to beat...the LMF rocks, the SOG are great...I've had a few/several...I even had Rambo's which I gave away to my younger cousin...all in all..."survival" means BEAT THE CRAP TO GET THROUGH and it'll stay with you...at least in my books
The Kukri is the weapon of choice of the Ghurkas. The test of manhood was the decapitation of a cow with one stroke.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #53
yosmitetom
Banned

Oddometer: 3,354
Yeah, I can't count how many times I have been called on to decapitate a cow. Ya ever tried to gut a deer with a kukri?
yosmitetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #54
Shmerel OP

Oddometer: 11,152
i just bought this

thanks for your help, guys.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #55
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosmitetom
Yeah, I can't count how many times I have been called on to decapitate a cow. Ya ever tried to gut a deer with a kukri?
Or dress a quail! Your comment cracked me up.

I'm guessing people are blurring "survival knife" with what a lot of people call "camp knife". It's easy to understand. Really, a 2" fixed-blade knife and a small axe...oh, wait, isn't there an axe thread...

Lots of uses for edged tools, of varying configurations, during "survival".
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #56
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
i just bought this

thanks for your help, guys.
I very much dislike quoting pictures, but this one's worth it. Very nice. Enjoy it and use it in good health.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #57
GS_AP
Wanna be Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Just bought the Gerber LMF-II after a lot of research. Great knife for a great price.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/139

Paid about $70 new.

"Travel is the enemy of bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and prejudice." - Mark Twain
GS_AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #58
ozart
Just ride

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by krehmkej
No fluff. Does the business.

Yeah, I have the small version. Split plenty of kindling wood and seperated joint bones with it. Along with it and my folding benchmade, I've never been in need of a knife.
ozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #59
KingRat
Stroppy.

Oddometer: 25,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
i just bought this
splendid choice.
KingRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #60
Shmerel OP

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
splendid choice.
Thanks.
When i held it, it was so nicely weighted, and a good size for me, that I just had to go with it. It will sit in my kit.
I also got this, for my hip belt (which I can also ride with), it carries a lifetime guarantee:

Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote