Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #721
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Griptilian I think.
Or a mini-grip. He said 3" blade. The mini grip specs at 2.91", the standard griptilian 3.5". I use the Doug Ritter version of the mini grip as my EDC.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #722
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Or a mini-grip. He said 3" blade. The mini grip specs at 2.91", the standard griptilian 3.5". I use the Doug Ritter version of the mini grip as my EDC.
You are correct: mini-Griptilliian (sp?). It was a fantastic knife. I wish I'd never lost it.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #723
erda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Thanks. I'll check them out..

Previous rides: 2009 V-Strom 650SEA; 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
erda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #724
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I wish I'd never lost it.

What do the knife Gods do with all the knives they collect?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #725
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1 View Post

I lost a beauty just like this in the Okefenokee swamp years ago. Stag scaled Buck 110. At the time it was my prized folder.

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #726
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by erda View Post
Thanks. I'll check them out..
I used to manage a sporting goods store for a while, and sold lots of knives for all sorts of uses, so I learned more than I'll probably ever need to know about knives. But Benchmade makes very good knives.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #727
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1 View Post
I'm sure they have a warehouse full of knives hidden in some parallel dimension. They probably have, at least, a dozen of mine.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #728
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
I love my Benchmade folder!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #729
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
To many choices, like them all.
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #730
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
You are correct: mini-Griptilliian (sp?). It was a fantastic knife. I wish I'd never lost it.
+1 on the mini griptillian. Probably the best pocket knife I've ever had. Until I lost it.
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #731
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Survival Knife means different things to each of us. A good pocket knife is a life saver if you don't have any other. As far a truly leaning on a knife for fire food perpetration ect. a pocket knife may fall short. It you are going to batton a knife for fire making or shelter building a folder just won't cover the program. A full tang and substantial length are required. We all make trade offs and on a motorcycle weight isn't your friend. So choose a full tang fixed blade, with around a 4"-5" cutting surface. I like to carry a Mora 810, on my motorcycle they are cheap to buy 12-14$ and tough as nails.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #732
notrivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
The most with the Least!

Big is always better than small for the great majority of circumstances. It may be difficult to whittle or do delicate things with a big knife, but you can't chop worth a darn with a small one. And chopping is essential to survival, either to cut wood, bushwack, or defend yourself. I always carry a cheap Kukri with me. Cheap because I could lose it to authorities or my forgetfulness, and then not suffer self-recrimination. And if you have to defend yourself or hunt, a whack with a Kukri makes a .45 look like a bb.
I have always found it more efficient than anything other than a too long to carry axe for chopping too. A good carbon blade can be crudely sharpened with a file, and you can usually get a sharp edge on the tip for skinning also.
I also carry a U.S. Air Force survival knife for light work, but in a pinch, I would not hesitate to grab the Kukri.
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #733
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
Big is always better than small for the great majority of circumstances. It may be difficult to whittle or do delicate things with a big knife, but you can't chop worth a darn with a small one. And chopping is essential to survival, either to cut wood, bushwack, or defend yourself. I always carry a cheap Kukri with me. Cheap because I could lose it to authorities or my forgetfulness, and then not suffer self-recrimination. And if you have to defend yourself or hunt, a whack with a Kukri makes a .45 look like a bb.
I have always found it more efficient than anything other than a too long to carry axe for chopping too. A good carbon blade can be crudely sharpened with a file, and you can usually get a sharp edge on the tip for skinning also.
I also carry a U.S. Air Force survival knife for light work, but in a pinch, I would not hesitate to grab the Kukri.
In a survival situation, no knife made beats a sleeping bag and a bivvy overbag.

If you have to defend yourself it is most likely going to be against a firearm. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Chopping with a knife is a joke. And 'knife' including things like a kukri (used to have one). Chopping with my light Estwing axe is a joke. Chopping with a Granfors forest axe (a small limbing axe) is no joke. Given material, you actually could build a shelter. You can also go through sizable trees. You're better off getting in the sleeping bag. In a real (not imagined) survival situation conserving energy is crucial. I've done OK on an unplanned bivouac with no shelter at 11,000 feet in the Colorado rockies with a downed dead tree and a big rock...and sitting around a fire shivering all night. A small and very sharp folding pocket knife is a given. Something with tweezers. Past that it's time to get real with cutting tools if you are going to carry something.

Might want to read The Long Walk sometime, True story, and all they had was an axe head (no handle) and a teapot to carry water. 2 out of 3 survived. Also Gene Fears books on survival. Some of the best.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #734
notrivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
The question is the best survival knife ...

not the best "situation". But sage advice all the same. There is nothing like a good axe. I can't understand why people carp that hammers were the first tool when an axe-head will obviously do both.

Slavomir Rawisck-if I got the spelling right- was eventually embarrassed by his book. "The Long Walk" was partly ghost-written do to Rawisck's being primarily a polish speaker at the time. It's real value is in the description of his interrogation by the Soviets and the concentration camp. Anyone familiar with "One Day in tne Life of Ivan Densisovitch" immediately feels the truth of it. But the "walk" while true in it's emotional resonance was unfactual in it's geographical description. They did not cross the Gobi, the Tibetan plateau, see the Abominable Snowman dancing, and then vault the Himalaya's. They apparently did walk through Kazakhstan where the young girl perished of dehydration and made it to Persia. Poles were directed to go there by the Soviets after the German attack to be re-organized by the British. They later fought at Monte Cassino. The truth came out in a Fortean Times article some years ago. But you do recall that the one "survival item" they made and took was a big knife that made all the difference...
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #735
Ceemack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
This is an old thread, and the OP probably hasn't paid attention in a long time. But since it keeps coming up, I'll play.

There's a difference between a utility/daily carry knife and a survival knife. A survival knife can certainly be used as a camp knife, but most of the utility/daily carry knives proposed here don't remotely stack up as a survival knife. The knife that's adequate for a weekend sitting around the campfire drinking beer isn't necessarily what you want when you're lying next to your bike with a broken leg, a hundred miles from the nearest cell tower.

The difference between a survival knife and a utility can be summed up by the difference between camping out for a week and being trapped in the wilderness for a week. If you're camping, you've got all the stuff you'll need--not just to stay alive, but be reasonably comfortable. If you're trapped, you don't have what you need to survive. And a lot of it will have to be provided by what you DO have--like your knife.

Your primary needs will be water and warmth. If you're injured, you'll also need some pretty extreme first aid.

A big knife can cut saplings to make a splint for a broken limb, or to make a shelter. If it's strong enough, it can split wood for a fire. If the nearest lake or river is frozen over, a big, strong knife can chop through the ice to the water underneath.

Your Leatherman or your Swiss army knife can't do any of that.

So what should it be? First of all, folders need not apply. Only a big, heavy fixed blade can fill the bill. The absolute minimum blade length would be seven inches, but 8-9 would be better. The blade needs to be fairly thick, both so it's got enough swing weight to chop and so it's strong enough to stand up to batoning a thick log or chopping through ice. 3/16" would be the minimum, and 1/4" is better. It absolutely has to have a full-length tang--no cheap knives with a stub tang epoxied into the handle. A pommel suitable for hammering with isn't a bad idea.

Stainless steel or carbon? Carbon steel, hands down. You'll probably have to sharpen the knife at least once while you're stuck, and carbon steel takes a LOT less effort to sharpen. It's also less prone to breakage. A coating on the blade, like powder coating or Parkerizing, is a good idea to control rust. Without a coating, you'll want to apply a little oil as a general maintenance step.

If the model you want doesn't come in straight carbon steel, make sure you opt for high-carbon stainless.

These days there are quite a few good choices available, and they're relatively cheap. The Cold Steel Trailmaster is a good one. Ontario Knife makes several, including the SP51 and RDS-9. The Marine Corps Kabar (not the small one) is better than most of the options that have been listed so far, but a marginal choice in terms of blade length, blade weight and strength.

This isn't to say that a Leatherman or Swiss Army isn't a good thing to have. Personally, I'd take a 9" Bowie knife, a Leatherman, and a pocket sharpener.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote