User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
Good starter bike for kids?

Hi, just went and visited a trials club in Vancouver area yesterday and my 10 and 12 yr old are gung ho to get into it.

Any recommendations on what models of bikes to get used? The kids have beginner's level dirt bike experience.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers!

Rob
Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,532

these electric Osets are a little small for a 10-12y/o but they're great for the little(r) ones.

Perhaps a Gas Gas TXT 50? Beta and Sherco also make smaller-framed trials bikes but I don't know how easy/hard it will be to find a used on here in the states. The trials organizations' classifieds would be a good place to start looking.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
The 36v Osets have tons of power. For a learning bike, they make an excellent starter. I would put taller bars on, but for a start to learning trials, they're great. I wouldn't even mess with getting a gas 50 unless you can find one cheap (they're like hen's teeth).

However, as your kids are getting a little older and have skills on gas bikes, you might want to move on to a Gas Gas 70, or even look for a 200 and put head spacers in. The 200 is actually more like a 160, but with the head spacers it drops it down to about a 125. This makes it significantly easier to start. Trials bike take a lot more leg than a comparably-sized motocross bike to start.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Thanks for your help. I've been pricing this stuff in Canada the last few days. (gasoline powered). I've got sticker shock - I was thinking kid's used dirt bike prices - but will figure out a way to get hold of a few of these. Anything for the kids - and of course I will have to ride with them each weekend to make sure they're safe
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

I'm sure you saw this one. It's a steep price, but an excellent bike. With the bigger jug and piston, you basically get a brand-new bike once the old jug wears out or they are ready to move up. The Pros are SWEET bikes too!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
I bought a GasGas 280pro with the idea of teaching my daughters to ride it. They had had mini bikes before like a PW-50 and one that was just a tad bigger.

Huge mistake that was. Still have the tire marks on the house from where one of 'em hammered into it the first day.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
H_Mushmann
Smartass

Oddometer: 67
If you can find one, a Yamaha TY80 is an excellent starter bike for kids to learn the basics. There are a couple 50cc trials bikes and, I believe, Beta makes an 80cc (3/4-size) trials bike. Several manufacturers have 125cc trials bikes, but they are full-size.

The OSET is a pretty neat concept. I know a few people who bought some of the first ones that came out and I was even tempted myself. Good thing I didn't because after they got a few hours on them little electrical gremlins started popping up. Perhaps the newer models don't have these same issues.

The other thing I think is silly is the training wheels. Not just on the OSET, but on minibikes in general. However the whole point of trials is balance. If a kid can't balance on 2-wheels, why is he riding trials?
H_Mushmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Mushmann
If you can find one, a Yamaha TY80 is an excellent starter bike for kids to learn the basics. There are a couple 50cc trials bikes and, I believe, Beta makes an 80cc (3/4-size) trials bike. Several manufacturers have 125cc trials bikes, but they are full-size.

The OSET is a pretty neat concept. I know a few people who bought some of the first ones that came out and I was even tempted myself. Good thing I didn't because after they got a few hours on them little electrical gremlins started popping up. Perhaps the newer models don't have these same issues.

The other thing I think is silly is the training wheels. Not just on the OSET, but on minibikes in general. However the whole point of trials is balance. If a kid can't balance on 2-wheels, why is he riding trials?
The TY80 is a great bike, if you can find a good example. Seems like the really clean ones draw quite a bit for what they are. Gas Gas also makes a smaller bike.

If you are referring to the earlier OSET bikes, then yes, they did have some electrical issues. They have been well sorted for the past couple of years.

I agree on the training wheels part. The great thing about the small OSET bikes is that little guys can sit down and dog paddle, yet have the bike set to virtually nothing. You dial it up a little each week, and pretty soon they're putting their feet up without even knowing it. Training wheels only hinder development as it becomes a crutch, and then a big anticipation of pain when they come off. My son had his feet up and riding by the time he was 3 and a half.

A little inside info... OSET is fighting the "my kid needs a gas bike because I ride a gas bike" mentality. These are not toys. Both my kids ride them and are better riders than their peers. My dad is a dealer and called me a couple of days ago to tell me a major off-road champion rider is buying one from him. He rode a 36v (rode a nice wheelie on it too) and said it was exactly what his kids needed. He thought all the gas 50's on the market were basically mopeds, which I agree with. I'm not going to say who it is because my dad wants his kids to ride it and, only if they truly think it's a superior bike, work on an endorsement. I think this would go a long way to dispelling the myth that these are just "toys".
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

got a Honda TL 125 last week for the older lad, closing in on one of several TY80's for kid #2...

its surprising how much bike is still left from something made in the 70's or 80s.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
BorisTas
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Rob
.................................................. .............................
its surprising how much bike is still left from something made in the 70's or 80s.

Permission to use that quote good sir ??

Brilliant

BT

One is all you need ,
Two is a Luxury
Any more is an indulgence
BorisTas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Rob
got a Honda TL 125 last week for the older lad, closing in on one of several TY80's for kid #2...

Great call on both!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTas

Permission to use that quote good sir ??
BT
boy, i wish it was that easy to make people happy at work. Sure, if you like it.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
KTM950
apexhunter

Oddometer: 152
Ty80

The Yamaha TY80 has been around for a long time...... but is a simple and affordable intro bike. Kids grow out of bikes sometimes in one season so you would like to have good resale. Sounds like they are very lucky to have a father with motorcycling priorities. All the best.
2005 Montesa Cota 4RT
2004 KTM 950 Adverture
1970 Honda CB750
1975 Honda TL250
1971 Honda CT70H
1968 Honda Z50A
KTM950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Lobo50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Yamaha TY 80's are great for a starter bike. There were two that just sold in my area. One has had a lot of work done to it and looked real nice. I think he was asking about $500. Another just sold for $400 and was also in good condition. Can't go wrong for that price. Your kids could ride the bike for a few years and you could still get the same price out of it.
Lobo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
H_Mushmann
Smartass

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero
If you are referring to the earlier OSET bikes, then yes, they did have some electrical issues. They have been well sorted for the past couple of years.
Yes, I was talking about the first ones to come out.

I ended up starting my oldest son on a Honda CRF50, but it had nothing to do with having him on a gas motor (I'm a 2-stroke guy anyway). The Honda is just more versatile than the OSET. The local trials series has a class for kids on 50s and he can race the pee wee events in motocross and off-road on it. When he gets older he can choose what he wants to ride/race, even if it's just trail riding. Then we'll get a more specialized bike and pass the Honda down to his siblings.
H_Mushmann is offline   Reply With Quote