Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #1696
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I have met many of these guys that comment on my thread, and even stayed in their homes. But, most of them made me leave because they said that I crap too close to the house.
I really didn't notice any of that... Maybe because our dog does the same You're welcome to come back and stay at my house anytime. I'll make sure to have some more Huevos Rancheros for breakfast (as well as chewable coffee )

Fernanda and the kids say hi... (Giovanna still hasn't forgotten you...)

Ride safe.
Raf

PS: For all you other guys out there... Giovanna is my 5 y/o Brazilian stepdaughter who said she would go with Vinnie on his moto, but wisely decided to stay home with mommy at the last minute.
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #1697
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
Bravo Vicente , that SA part is pure Adventure !!!
So r u sailing to Cuba or Panama ?

Saludos Hermano !!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #1698
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
CRASH, your opinion please

hey crash
Whats your opinion
I live an az but have a place in panama, what do you think about me driving my superduty and a couple of bikes down there, surfing along the way and then leaving them there in storage ?
lots of people say dont do it, they say it will cost more than its worth ?
a dirt bike costs alot down there, let alone a diesel superduty? whats your take?
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for sticking with me through my sporadic updates and giving me the encouragment necessary to keep the RR going over the last 16 months. It is definitely a big task and at times has been difficult to keep posting from the road.

I'm not sure what I am going to do just yet.

I have about 5 months to get home, its just deciding what to do with that 5 months that is the dilemma.

First, I thought of getting a carnet and maybe going to Africa, but I just dont have enough time to do Africa properly. I think it deserves at least a year, probably more.

So, Africa is for another trip.

I GOT TO GET YOUR OPIION,
we have alot in common, my question is ?
I live in az, but have a place in panama . as you know bikes and cars are expensive down there. What do you think about me driving or riding to panama , surfing along the way, and then leaving my superduty and a couple of bikes there ?????
I GET DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON THIS, but i would LOVE yours.
thanks
booniebasher
keith

However, there is something that could turn out to be an interesting way home. From BsAs, to Uruguay, Brasil, French Guiana, Suriname, Guyana, Venezuela, back to Colombia.

There is something about riding the bike all the way home that appeals to me. I can do a trip on the Steel Rat as well that I missed the first time around, and stop in and visit friends I have made in Colombia and Central America over a year ago. There are quite a few people that I have been wanting to see again. So right now, I am leaning in this direction.

All of this is subject to change of course, but Uruguay and Brazil I will do for sure before heading home, and we will just have to see where it goes from there.

The first step is to get the 2000 miles to BsAs, then find a place to freshen up my bike and a decent place to stay to enjoy the city and get my Yellow Fever shot and Brazil Visa.

I really dont want to stay in the garage at Dakar Motors for more than a couple of days but it might be the best option to do my bike work before the long journey north.

I should be in BsAs in a couple of weeks I am guessing.

Hey, any of you inmates in Argentina know of a nice tranquilo place to watch a stage of the Dakar come through fairly close to BsAs?

No amigos, its not over.

Saludos, Vicente

booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #1699
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHD View Post
Vinnie.... dude, I'm so stoked that you remain living the dream... and still unable to handle the strong stuff? Looking forward to clocking a few more miles with you in SoCal and Baja... but first I may need your help rigging an even larger battery/tool box combo.... maybe a trailer?

Ride safe amigo!!
- Rob
Hola Roberto! Has Charley the Harley forgiven you yet for all the abuse you dished out to him? Yeah man, beers and riding is in order when I get back home. Maybe you could come down to SD because I will get arrested riding in L.A. traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
I really didn't notice any of that... Maybe because our dog does the same You're welcome to come back and stay at my house anytime. I'll make sure to have some more Huevos Rancheros for breakfast (as well as chewable coffee )

Fernanda and the kids say hi... (Giovanna still hasn't forgotten you...)

Ride safe.
Raf

PS: For all you other guys out there... Giovanna is my 5 y/o Brazilian stepdaughter who said she would go with Vinnie on his moto, but wisely decided to stay home with mommy at the last minute.
It was the dog, I swear it! Ha! My mother would have quickly adopted Giovanna and spoiled her rotten. How is Lucas' English coming along? It just blew me away when he started talking my ear off in English as he was so quiet around me all the time. He's a good kid, he hates school just as much as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97 View Post
Bravo Vicente , that SA part is pure Adventure !!!
So r u sailing to Cuba or Panama ?

Saludos Hermano !!
Hola hermano! Well I think I ma going to fly the bike to Panama, going this direction its cheaper than taking a boat. No plans for Cuba now, time constraints. I'm going to be due for an oil change in El Salvador. You think maybe we can drink some beers and spill oil all over your garage floor again? I'll be leaving Colombia shortly after Semana Santa, headed your way.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #1700
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post
hey crash
Whats your opinion
I live an az but have a place in panama, what do you think about me driving my superduty and a couple of bikes down there, surfing along the way and then leaving them there in storage ?
lots of people say dont do it, they say it will cost more than its worth ?
a dirt bike costs alot down there, let alone a diesel superduty? whats your take?
I dont know the import laws for Panama, maybe ask the question on the Latin America forum. But yes, bikes (In Colombia at least) are about double what they cost in the States. I dont know about Panama. Send a message to inmate snohobo as I think he ust recently moved to Panama.

I can tell you one thing, crossing all the borders with a big diesel pickup and a couple of bikes in the back will be interesting for sure.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #1701
marior97
marior97

will have some oil for you, anything else, like beer and rum ?!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #1702
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 684
Nice

Really enjoyed this recent update of northern south america.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #1703
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
How is Lucas' English coming along? It just blew me away when he started talking my ear off in English...
His English is just fine... It's the Math that is causing a major headache... I have been spending the last couple of days reviewing stuff that I learned 35 years ago (Rational numbers...fractions...) to be able to explain it to him. (in Portuguese of course, since his English hasn't gotten to that level yet ) I told you that I already raised two sons back in Belgium, so I'm kinda having a déjà vu experience here .

I wonder why it is I'm intensely looking forward to spending more time on the road again... I hated school too you know, but I can't tell him that, right?

Cheers
Raf
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #1704
El Mago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Thanks for the inspiration

Hey Crashmaster, thanks a ton for taking the time to chronicle your adventure and continuing to keep up with it all this time.

I found this site about four months ago and yours was the first ride report I read (the title got me). Since then I've been following along... You (and the many other wonderful people on here) have inspired me to get going...

I'm hoping to leave this Monday, April 25, for my own 2-3 year Central and South American adventure, solo!!! I'm currently making final preparations and will be creating an adv ride report.

It would be great to cross paths and buy you a beer as you head North.

Gracias,
Merlin
El Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #1705
DirtyBones
Donde esta...?

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mago View Post
Hey Crashmaster, thanks a ton for taking the time to chronicle your adventure and continuing to keep up with it all this time.

I found this site about four months ago and yours was the first ride report I read (the title got me). Since then I've been following along... You (and the many other wonderful people on here) have inspired me to get going...

I'm hoping to leave this Monday, April 25, for my own 2-3 year Central and South American adventure, solo!!! I'm currently making final preparations and will be creating an adv ride report.

It would be great to cross paths and buy you a beer as you head North.

Gracias,
Merlin
Damn dude....2-3 years! Rock on....and safe travels!

RR: From Deadhorse Down
Blog: www.fromdeadhorsedown.com

"I don’t like to think of laws as rules you have to follow, but more as suggestions." ~George Carlin
DirtyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #1706
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHD View Post
Vinnie.... dude, I'm so stoked that you remain living the dream... and still unable to handle the strong stuff? Looking forward to clocking a few more miles with you in SoCal and Baja... but first I may need your help rigging an even larger battery/tool box combo.... maybe a trailer?

Ride safe amigo!!
- Rob
HACK TIME!!!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #1707
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:

I know some basic French phrases from school so I was looking forward to using that knowledge that had been rusting away in my brain for so many years. However, I found that when I tried to talk to some people in French, they would ignore me. OK, fair enough, my French sucks. At this one insurance place I told the guy over and over again, in French that I was looking for a 3 month insurance policy. He kept saying that he didnt understand. Then in English, he tells me that if I want to do anything here I must speak better French because this is France. That was the first and last English sentence he spoke to me. Nice attitude. So I left.

Hmm, sounds familiar

Kudos to you for checking out that section of South America! Usually seems to be skipped over.
Keep on keepin' on.
See if Mario's got that e-type rollin' yet

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #1708
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Pissed

Been doing some great rides around Colombia over the last week. However my computer was stolen and I dont really want to spend money on a replacement at this point so I probably won't be updating much until my trip is done. Bums me out because I lost quite a few photos and a ton of video not to mention my travel diary over the last couple years. Im pretty pissed off to say the least. Anyway thanks everyone for stocking with me this long. Unfortunate updates will now be even more sporadic than they have been but I will get to them eventually.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #1709
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
oh man... I am really sorry...that sucks....

I know it's probably not much consolation but...at least .... this RR has some great stories for you to go back to.....

again... I am sorry. I'd be pissed off too........
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #1710
marior97
marior97

SHIT ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ MFers ¡¡¡
well they cant take what youve lived, seen, ride, drinked, etc over this 2 years away ¡¡¡
keep on riding hermano !