User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #2116
Ed Zachtamundo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks again for the advice and most of all, the inspiration.

Happy belated Thanksgiving from San Pedro, Guatemala.

Justin
Ed Zachtamundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #2117
holiday
DL650K7

Oddometer: 88
What I Remember About Your Travels

A long time ago, as I followed along from the beginning, I read this comment of yours. It was so powerful I saved it in my documents. It applied to everything we do in life, You're not a "bitcher"

"If you bitch and complain a lot normally, you will really bitch and complain when you are on the road. Some people step out of their box and figure out that they are not really cut out for it, or they just don't like it. That's fine, everyone is different. Don't let one person's account turn you off to an entire continent. South America is freaking amazing. Once I jumped the gap to the southlands I was blown away. South America is worthy of years of exploration on a moto, so if you have a limited amount of time, like one year or less, I would focus completely on South America."
holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #2118
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday View Post
A long time ago, as I followed along from the beginning, I read this comment of yours. It was so powerful I saved it in my documents. It applied to everything we do in life, You're not a "bitcher"

"If you bitch and complain a lot normally, you will really bitch and complain when you are on the road. Some people step out of their box and figure out that they are not really cut out for it, or they just don't like it. That's fine, everyone is different. Don't let one person's account turn you off to an entire continent. South America is freaking amazing. Once I jumped the gap to the southlands I was blown away. South America is worthy of years of exploration on a moto, so if you have a limited amount of time, like one year or less, I would focus completely on South America."
Thanks amigo, that is good for me to see. I guess that I'm fully entrenched in what we call "normal" life now. Wake up, work, eat, sleep, repeat, ad nauseum.

I must say that living in Alaska and flying has been pretty good to me for the last year and half. Shit, has it only been that long? It seems like eons ago that I crossed back into the states.

I have been through quite a few changes in life since then. Still single though. No woman will have much to do with me. Had a stint with the Colombian girl Agueda (the one that was a dead heat in a Zeppelin race) but after coming to Alaska this past summer, she went home to Colombia and disappeared. Guess rain and cold didnt work for her, but hell, she was from the Santander mountains.

I'll post up some "year and a half after" pictures, just to show what its like in normal life after 2 years on a bike.

Actually, not so bad. Not a real normal life I have, but a bit redundant, a ground hog day kind of thing.

I just re-read my ride report today. Did I really do all that stuff, or was it a dream? Dont know if its real anymore. Isnt that strange?

Maybe that means that I need to get back out on the road?

Come off a hard day of thinkin', just thought I'd do a little drinkin'.

Ride while you can and if there is something you always wanted to do, make it happen, now. Life is way too short!

Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone!

¡Saludos!

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 08:15 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #2119
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Hello Vincent and Happy Holidays.
I have read your RR many times and would love to hear a continuation of your life after the Ride.

You have a talent for story telling, and perhaps writing could be in your future.
I'm sure the stories would be read by many.

If you do another epic ride, count me in..

Whatever you do Vincent, make sure it is what you want. You only get one go around in this life. Enjoy it..

Ride Safe,
Jim
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #2120
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 256
obla di obla da...life goes on

Vinnie,
Glad to hear you're doing well, as well as a groundhog can do that is. Your trek will always be with you, even if it sometimes feels like a different lifetime. You had a unique opportunity re available time last go around and you made the best of it for yourself and provided inspiration and enjoyment for others like myself thru your RR. I also appreciated our exchanges of pm's a little while back as I sought your advice on some upgrades for my new 990R.

No doubt you shall head out again in the future and we will follow you here on ADVRider.

Would love to see some current pics. Still have the same dependable Katoom or have you updated?

Happy New Year,
Ron
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #2121
Catracho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
thanks for the stories!!

Great read! I met you in at the Red Frog bar in Copan Honduras and remembered the "no fumar espanol" excuse for the police and told it to many people. I agree with you on the smaller bikes being better for Latin America. When I lived there I had a couple chinese 200's and rode them throughout Central America. Yea the bigger bikes are great but when there is always a cow or pot hole in the road, the extra power isn't necessary. Looking forward to the next RR!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #2122
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,996
Hola Vince

Just saw your thread on the RR, and would check in. Looking back in always interesting. Time certainly flies by.

Happy New Year to you. Hope that you are making the most of "normal" life.

As a longer term rider, I understand that this is an amazing journey that I am on, but someday it will end, and I will be onto a new "chapter" of life. At this point it is all unknown ...... Not sure what Normal life will be .... But I am doing my best to stay in the moment!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #2123
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,323
No Fumar Español

One of the "top ten" best ride reports ever....Good training manual for the south of the border.

Next time I'll take a spare liver
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #2124
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,160
2 years behind but I'm in
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2125
tankhead
Path less traveled

Oddometer: 172
Whining?????

Not quite sure about the whining....... shit my wife has to hear me cry about NOT doing that type of trip. Every weekend while drinking chilean wine.... Vin your story was a great eye opener. Refinanced my mortgage this week to a 15 year @2.875 so that at 60 I will be free and clear. Tired of the same old same old. My original post was about the Tool song you posted with the video that broke my heart..... in a good way. Simply incredible. Fuck...... One day my man ..... One day... Good Luck in Alaska.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #2126
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
some noob posted this in the Best Moto Travel pic thread:

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #2127
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
That's the Pemex in Batopilas, Chi, Mexico
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2128
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
And yes, that is an oven inside the door. A gas oven.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #2129
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Thanks amigo, that is good for me to see. I guess that I'm fully entrenched in what we call "normal" life now. Wake up, work, eat, sleep, repeat, ad nauseum.

I must say that living in Alaska and flying has been pretty good to me for the last year and half. Shit, has it only been that long? It seems like eons ago that I crossed back into the states.

I have been through quite a few changes in life since then. Still single though. No woman will have much to do with me. Had a stint with the Colombian girl Agueda (the one that was a dead heat in a Zeppelin race) but after coming to Alaska this past summer, she went home to Colombia and disappeared. Guess rain and cold didnt work for her, but hell, she was from the Santander mountains.

I'll post up some "year and a half after" pictures, just to show what its like in normal life after 2 years on a bike.

Actually, not so bad. Not a real normal life I have, but a bit redundant, a ground hog day kind of thing.

I just re-read my ride report today. Did I really do all that stuff, or was it a dream? Dont know if its real anymore. Isnt that strange?

Maybe that means that I need to get back out on the road?

Come off a hard day of thinkin', just thought I'd do a little drinkin'.

Ride while you can and if there is something you always wanted to do, make it happen, now. Life is way too short!

Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone!

¡Saludos!
Get your shit together you God damn Hippie!
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #2130
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
One of the "top ten" best ride reports ever....Good training manual for the south of the border...
Ditto!

Crashy and Goat are da gawds!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote