Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #61
Freightdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster

Is there anything else I need for the ride to South America?

Don't forget your boots! And don't forget to write.
2012 R1200 GS Adventure (I can dream, can't I?)
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
--Mark Twain
Freightdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #62
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Socks or Scotch

Packed to haul down to Penasco. I'll head to SF via El Golfo Friday. Had to lose a pair of socks and my Jacket liner to squeeze in my towel. Think I don't need no stinking oil, scotch will work, que no?

See you in SF or Alfonsinas. Remember, you should be in front of me and I don't want to ride to Cabo chasing you chasing me.

I am ready for a a sweat-lodge Adios Vinny 1,000.

Out.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #63
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Crossing into Baja in about 8 hours. Things in central Baja are not looking good after the hurricane last week. I heard all of Mulege was under water.

Apparantly, fuel, drinking water and food is hard to get in the affected region from Santa Rosalia in the north to Cd Constitucion in the south.

Anyway, I'm not going to have internet access probably until San Ignacio or possibly La Paz, so by then it will be time for a big update.

And the adventure begins......

Saludos

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 05:50 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #64
Hellfish6
Virgin ADV rider

Oddometer: 25
Subscribed. Have a great trip for those of us that can't!
Hellfish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #65
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
hey CM, wish you good luck on your ride and don't forget the pics.

will pray to the gods of "KTM fuel pump" for ya
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #66
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
I am in on this one!
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #67
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks
hey CM, wish you good luck on your ride and don't forget the pics.

will pray to the gods of "KTM fuel pump" for ya

No worries, I got a spare in my kit. You know what that means, the fuel pump will perform perfectly over 30,000 miles. However the second I decide to get rid of that spare, I'll be lucky to make it 100 miles before a fuel pump issue.

Just like on my Cooper Canyon trip: Ah hell, I dont need a chain tool or a master link, I have a brand new chain.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #68
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Wooooohooooo!!!!!!!

YEA!!!!!! LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN!!!! HAVE FUN VINNIE!!!!

Cheers!!!

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 12:40 PM
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #69
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Probably wont make it out of Mexico until after Christmas.
Subscribed...
I wish you a great trip
Just remember that winter in the Southern Hemisphere is aprox from mid May to mid Sept
Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #70
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Just quick update from Guerrero Negro in Baja. I've had some issues already that reaquire a KTM dealer. And lets just say that I have great story and that Motoport riding gear is really good stuff, but soft bags and asphalt dont mix

Since the closest KTM dealer is in San Diego and only a two day ride from here on the pavement, I'm headed back north to regroup, resupply with needed gear like a new riding jacket, new helmet, new bags and various parts for the bike that are now held on by zip ties.

I'll post some pics when I get a better internet connection.

Saludos.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #71
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
Ahh, dude, that totally sucks. I wish I could help from here. Good luck and hopefully you can get back on the trail pronto.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #72
Freightdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
VB, hate to hear about your setback but glad to know you're OK. Hey, get the worst of it out of the way early, right?

Jeff

PS Hope you don't mind if I cross-post to the B&G?
2012 R1200 GS Adventure (I can dream, can't I?)
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
--Mark Twain

Freightdawg screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 07:05 AM
Freightdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #73
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

I'll describe things in more detail in a couple of days when I can upload some pics. However here is the cliff notes version of what happened.

I had been riding dirt road and off road since I left home. I hit Mex 1 at Chapala dry lake just north of Catavina. There was not a soul on the road except for myself and Miguel and I was riding behind him cruising along at about 65 mph. I decided to ride up next to Miguel. However in a brain fart moment, I failed to realize that when I moved about a foot over the centerline, the was a pickup behind starting a pass at high speed.

The edge of his front bumper clipped my rear tire, the bike immediately disappered from underneath me and I found my self sliding across the pavement at 70 mph on my back, shoulders and elbows. After sliding around 100 ft, I started to tumble about a 8 to ten times over another 100 or so feet before I came to a stop in the middle of the road.

I crawled off the road into the dirt and just lay there taking stock of my body parts. Humm. Fingers work, good. I can move my toes, good. After I got over the intial shock I stood up and realized, holy shit, I'm unhurt and dont have a scratch on me.

The two guys in the pickup were standing over me, eyes as wide a saucers, making the sign of the cross over and over. They were more shocked than me I think.

We loaded up my bike into the truck and took me to Guerrero Negro.

My handle bars were broken in two near the throttle tube and I found a welder to tack them together. I've just spent two days here getting the bike back into riding shape as best as possible and after breakfast I ma headed north to San Quintin for the night.

I should be back in San Diego in a day and half, thenorder up some parts and new riding gear, then hit the road again. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of the immediate post crash carnage because I was still in shock.

The whole thing was totally my fault and a stupid brain fart mistake that could have cost me my life, or worse. Maybe you know how it is when youre riding along a seemingly deserted highway for miles and your brain is lulled into thinking that youre the only one on the road for miles around. Or maybe not.

This is what happened to me.

Please dont tell my mother what happened.

What could have been disaster is now just a minor setback. The two guys in the truck were grade A individuals and I owe them big time, They stayed with me all day, helped me with the bike, found a good welder and made sure that I was OK. The wanted to take me to a hospital but I finally convinced them that I was OK.

Another huge bonus was that I was with Miguel. His help in getting the bike back inot riding shape, giving up some of his pain meds was invaluable. Way better to have this happen hen youre with a good solid buddy.

Due to my Motoport kevlar mesh gear with quad armor, I dont have a scratch or any injury for that matter. I am just a little sore, thats all.

I will get this show back ont he road shortly after I get the bike back in shape and get some new Motoport riding gear and some new bags.

I figure that I used up about 8 of nine lives, so when I hit the road again, I have to be more careful since I have only one life left................

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 08:20 AM
Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #74
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Damn you aren't shitting about you name are you? Glad your still making it, gonna be a hell of a go for you man. See you in the Southlands, Goodluck
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #75
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Great to hear your ok. I have to admit, I gave out a laugh when you looked up and they were doing the sign of the cross. Glad they stopped. I have zoned out like that on desserted highways but with no contact .
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote