Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
dontnoanybetter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
thanks everyone, I rode a tmax yesterday for about an hour -uphills down hills through the city and on the freeway, I did notice that on the freeway there was a lot of wind around the step through area by my shins, but that thing got up and went surprisingly well. Next I plan on trying a silverwing, I think a burg is out for me, i'm 6'3" and everytime I sit on one my knees hit the dash or are just about to hit the dash depending on where my feet are positioned.
dontnoanybetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
honda_silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontnoanybetter
Next I plan on trying a silverwing, I think a burg is out for me, i'm 6'3" and everytime I sit on one my knees hit the dash or are just about to hit the dash depending on where my feet are positioned.
When you try the Silver Wing ... most likely it will have the butt-rest. From the factory the butt-rest is not put in the maximum position, it has two more positions further back. I removed my butt-rest completely which would give you the maximum leg room for 6'3".
honda_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,445
as someone taller then six 3 I found the old helix fit nice to. then again I m riding around on elite 250.
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
A friend of mine phoned me yesterday for a telling "yeas, you are right, Ill stuck with my Beemer"

A week ago he had told hes going for a scooter and trade in his bike. I declare to him. Buy a scoot, but if you are still a motorcyclist....DO NOT trade in the bike.

Love the scooters, but they never replace the feeling of traditional bikes.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #20
TR-Kamikaze
Ruckus Hooligan

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontnoanybetter
so, i'm thinking of selling my st1300 and going to a tmax or maybe even a majesty, but probably the tmax. I like having the full fairing for weather protection and places to carry things but do I really need a big bike like the st1300. I'm just a little concerned that going on multi-state romps with the tmax might leave me wishing had I had something a little more powerful. Any thoughts anyone?
The Tmax is a great bike all around, with a few mods they can be super quick. I think they are perfect from the factory overall though. I have gotten mine up to 120mph which is topped out and getting there is fairly quick. The plastics on a TMAX are far superior to those of any other american maxi scooter. They are very beautiful bikes. The only problem with them is that they don't have as much storeage as the other maxi's do. You can get an XL full face under the seat upside down and you can fill your helmet with your stuff, and there's still about a shoebox worth of space behind it for more. Of course there are the 2 large glove boxes up front, and if you need more space just get a givi box. One of my favorite features of the TMAX is it's 2 piece windshield. It has a short black shield and a tall clear touring shield that's easily removed in about 15-30 min. I ride mine mostly in town with the shorter sheild, it gives the bike a more sportbike appearance. Overall you'll be happiest with the TMAX over any other maxi scooter on the market. One more thing, as for the wind problems you had when you rode it, that can be fixed with the faring deflectors yamaha sells, they make a huge difference on the other scoots I've ridden.
TR-Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #21
Toni
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Top heavy Silver Wing?

I have heard that the SWings are top heavy. Also read about location of gas tanks on SWings vs Burgs vs TMaxx. Can would appreciate hearing from any & all on this issue, especiallyt from the lady riders. I know men have a different take on top heaviness than us ladies do. Thanks.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I have heard that the SWings are top heavy. Also read about location of gas tanks on SWings vs Burgs vs TMaxx. Can would appreciate hearing from any & all on this issue, especiallyt from the lady riders. I know men have a different take on top heaviness than us ladies do. Thanks.
The SWings, Burgers and TMAX are at the top of the scooter evoltionary scle when it comes to physical dimension. the Tmax hardly has a 'step through design" but is typically considered the sportiest or most performance orientated scooter. The SWing is the one I know least about but seems to be the scooter for Honda enthusiasts. The Burger is the hands down winner for storage and touring but that means the butt on the 650 is wider than some people like.

I think the most important thing about scooters in general, and these especially, is that you can confidently control the scooter while on the seat. This is a combination of being able to control the mass of the bike in a parking lot or at lights and stop signs. The mass of the larger scoots can be a problem for some riders while trying to park or other slow speed/off-bike situations. The mass of the bike goes away once under way. I have heard too many stories of lady riders selling her brand new bike, at a heafty loss, since she cannot straddle the seat and get her feet on the ground.

If this is your first two wheeled bike, I am not sure I would recommend any of these for a first time rider. I suggest riders learn on a smaller used scoot and then move up the ladder as thier skills set expands.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #23
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Kamikaze
The Tmax is a great bike all around, with a few mods they can be super quick.
+1. Had a Ducati ST3 and it was a blast with plenty of torque, but I really couldn't use the power most of the time. And sadly, without the paniers, there was no storage on the bike.

Bought a Tmax and I've got plenty of power for my needs. (With the J. Costa variator, it's more than quick enough off the line.) The bike handles like a dream through the twisties, and I've got underseat storage for big stuff, and two gloveboxes for little stuff (like mail.) No regrets going with the Tmax.
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #24
Somerled
Mountain Warrior

Oddometer: 315
Yet another powerful scooter to consider is the SYM HD200. Alot less money than a Silver Wing, Burgman, or Majesty and plenty of power. It simply defies physics. Its 174cc engine easily propels me at 70-75 mph on the highway. Plenty of acceleration ability too. Much lighter than the previously mentioned scoots so likely more managable for that 5' 6" 120 llb woman.

'77 BMW R100/7 with Velorex sidecar, Hannigan faring and windshield
'03 Honda Silverwing 600 FSC with Clearview windshield & vent
'06 SYM HD200 with GIVI 105 windshield
Somerled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #25
Toni
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy
If this is your first two wheeled bike, I am not sure I would recommend any of these for a first time rider. I suggest riders learn on a smaller used scoot and then move up the ladder as thier skills set expands.
This would not be my first 2-wheeler. Rode BMW1200C's for 7 years; had back surgery; sold the Beemer - which I regret. Want to get back into riding - so I am familiar with the whole concept of 2-wheels.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
This would not be my first 2-wheeler. Rode BMW1200C's for 7 years; had back surgery; sold the Beemer - which I regret. Want to get back into riding - so I am familiar with the whole concept of 2-wheels.
Great to hear. I read too many stories about noob riders getting to much bike or a seat that is too tall for them.

What is your primary use for the bike? Where do you primarily want to ride?
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #27
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Look at the tmax but try and take an extended test ride to make sure you wont miss that sweet engine too much - I'm thoroughly enjoying my max especially after finding a shield that I'm super happy with I had a vfr v4 and I'm happy so its definitely possible
Old 11-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #28
ScootDawg
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Good idea

tell you truth my father who is 65 is bout to sell his full dresser and get a piaggio mp3 400. his bike is getting harder for him to hold up at lights and for a motorcycle dosent get very good gas mileage. i have a bv 250 and i ride w him and he is jealous of my twist and go accelaration while he is constantly up and down shifting (six speeds seem to not have any good gear to crusie in) im flying around him. no matter what u decide goodluck and safe riding SCOOTDAWG
ScootDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #29
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
I can't offer any better advise other than what this fine group has already said. I think any input ANYone else would give is just kinda parroting what has already been said. But, I can't help myself and I love the sound of my own voice.

When steeping down in CC's try to remember, back in the 70's, a big bike had 250 cc's Those honda 550 fours were huge. Don't let the ego control the fun between your legs.

I hear a lot being referenced about storage. This is a good issue. My Harley, has no storage whatsoever. Not even a helmet lock. Harley has completely ignored the needs of the rider. Buy our bikes to look cool? WTF?!?!?Are we supposed to rely on a freaking tool bag strapped below the bars for everything we carry. I met one of my harley buddy's on my honda passport. I locked my helmet in the lock, on the side of the bike, just under the seat... he didn't know that any bikes had that and was amazed. He is on his 3rd HD

The largest scoot i have ever driven is my own elite 250. I can lock and carry a ton of stuff on that bike. You will love this convience.(and that bike has very little storage compared to today's maxi scooters.)

When people ask why I ride a bike with a 70 cc motor. I tell then the truth.. I ride it for me, the harley I ride for everyone else. The smaller CC bike you ride, the more fun you will have.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #30
kpinvt
OLDnSLO

Oddometer: 77
Good Luck With Whatever You Choose

Since I really don't have the money or room for more than one bike I very reluctantly traded in my 2003 Honda Silver Wing this past June for a 2009 BMW G650GS. I rode my first Saddle Sore 1000 on the SWing after I got the godawful seat modded to keep my toes from going numb. The bike was a blast around town and very easily beat most bikes and every other vehicle on the road at stop light drag races. It especially pissed off the guys in the tuner cars. The bike had 38K miles on it when I bought it and 60K when I traded it after two years of ownership. The bike experienced no major faults except for the rear drive seal giving out at 52K, it lasted 22K longer than most. It was a slow leak with no damage to the bike. I traded because I was looking for bike that was more comfortable to ride the many dirt roads here in VT. Dirt roads are doable on the SWing just not alot of fun.
kpinvt is offline   Reply With Quote