Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
Trailing Jack OP
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,073
K1200s

I'm a GS guy.
Never owned a sport bike (other than an ill fated stint with a Guzzi V11 Sport - don't ask).
On a bit of a whim I bought this today.
Did a bit of research, rode it and really liked it.

Who has had experience with one of these?

Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
johnwoodsrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I had a '05 K1200S, added a Corbin seat, bar risers and touring shield. Great bike for eating up miles. A bit heavy for a "sport" bike, but very comfortable for the long haul. Rode it from PA to New Orleans, up to VT, down to the "Dragon", etc. They have had fueling issues, fuel strip (gauge reader) issues, final drive issues....... Probably my favorite bike, but I wanted something more upright due to bulging discs in my neck, so sold it. I miss that bike............
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Punchdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Nice bike. I was eyeing that one up on the dealerships website. Great score. Hope you worked with Bobby at the dealership. He is a solid, top notch dude….
Punchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Trailing Jack OP
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchdude View Post
Nice bike. I was eyeing that one up on the dealerships website. Great score. Hope you worked with Bobby at the dealership. He is a solid, top notch dude….
Thanks. I hope it works for me.
Really like that bike.

Yes it was Bobby that I dealt with.
Good dude, indeed.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,983
I have nothing to add other than this: that is a sexy beast.

I love k-bikes.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwoodsrides View Post
They have had fueling issues, fuel strip (gauge reader) issues, final drive issues....... Probably my favorite bike, but I wanted something more upright due to bulging discs in my neck, so sold it. I miss that bike............
They also have Cam Chain issues and they're part of the recent Recall for the Fuel Pump Flange:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=13V617000

I picked one up in October, but haven't been able to put on too many miles this winter. More of a sports tourer than a true sports bike, but the emphasis is on the sporting side. Huge stability, ESA is nice and I love the riding position, although the saddle has me sliding forward all the time.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
+1 on Bobby being a good guy...knew him from his prior dealership as well. All the guy's at Hermy's are solid guys from my experience.

I was eyeballing that machine, too. Looked pretty clean and well cared for...

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Trailing Jack OP
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
They also have Cam Chain issues and they're part of the recent Recall for the Fuel Pump Flange:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=13V617000

I picked one up in October, but haven't been able to put on too many miles this winter. More of a sports tourer than a true sports bike, but the emphasis is on the sporting side. Huge stability, ESA is nice and I love the riding position, although the saddle has me sliding forward all the time.
I wanted to ride it because that's exactly what I hoped the bike would be...more of a sport tourer as opposed to a true sport bike. The short ride I took on it confirmed that for me. Fairly upright. It has bar risers and an aftermarket (Bobby thought Mayer) seat.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
johnwoodsrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
If you got it at Hermy's, the Cam chain tensioner and chain guard were probably done. Some tensioners were done under warranty, I had to do mine on the "S" and then my "GT" as they were both out of warranty. BMW picked up the tab on the chain guard.

Make sure you are holding on good and tight the first time you do an aggressive run up through the gears. When you hit 6500 RPM, it feels like your arms are stretching, as the bike wants to pull away from you. Only bike I have ever scared myself on, in a good way....
Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
CBejbl
Chrome

Oddometer: 829
Check out www.i-bmw.com

Probably the best source of K bike info.
CBejbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Punchdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
+1 on Bobby being a good guy...knew him from his prior dealership as well. All the guy's at Hermy's are solid guys from my experience.

I was eyeballing that machine, too. Looked pretty clean and well cared for...

+2 Same here. I bought a few bikes from Bobby at Eurosports and followed him to Hermy's. He is a seriously good egg.

Best of luck with the new K bike. At some point, I hope to add a 1200S or 1300S to my stable. Perhaps when my C14 dies..which will likely be never

Keep us updated on how she does for you.
Punchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,357
I bought a k1200R back in Nov. coming off a GS. Very similar to the S with the exception of gearing for the most part. It's a great bike, but definitely check and make sure the recall stuff has been done. There's also a recall coming out next month, that you should ask about when you do. Enjoy!

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #13
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,439
I recently traded in my 05 k1200s for an s1000rr. I still have an 05 12gs that does my touring duties just fine. Might have kept the K bike but low speed fueling issues, and the cam chain was starting to rattle at 30k miles. Wasn't a fan of the factory sidecases either. It does have a pretty good suspension and is fairly comfortable. That said, the moment I was able to cut loose and open her up i knew I had to take it to the track to see what it could do. Should have got a bit more familiar with the track, but was able to ride it there and back 3 times during the summer of 05. Plenty of power, but the servo brakes were an all or nothing deal, and it was kinda long to wrestle through the turns.

Not the ideal track day weapon, but lots of fun anyway

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
I had a '07 K12S. First time I took it on the highway a semi went out to pass a slow car (only two lanes) so I just sat there till he pulled in again. I had traded in a GSA for it, so when the lane was clear, I just wringed its neck like I used to on the GSA....WHEEEEEEEELIE!!! At highway speed!!! Yeah, LOVED that bike, but, MAN, it's fast and it's so stable that high speed traveling is its natural element, but we don't live in Germany, do we now?!
I was quite certain that I wouldn't be able to keep my license with that thing in my garage, so I sold it and I still have my license
Most comfortable bike I've had and the riding position was perfect for my back. I loved to start it up in the morning and just stand there and listening to it. It's sort of a raw mechanical sound with an aggressive undertone to it.
Okay, now I want another one! Happy riding
Offblnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Trailing Jack OP
Dr. Acula

Thanks everybody.
I appreciate the responses.

Can't wait till spring.
It's 10 degress and snowing here right now.