Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #136
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEdde
Dual/sport...sport/tourer...fax/copy machine...digital slr/video camera...etc.

Can someone point out a successful example of any? Anything that tried to be a hybrid..ends up being mediocre at best.

The NT700V is simply trying to be more of a commuter bike...and though many are coughing at the initial price. I dare you to come up with another option that will be cheaper on a $/mile operating cost...over 100k miles. Lets factor in initial cost+maintenance+insurance+gas+any other cost involved with owning that motorcycle...
Can I try for combos?
First Blade? CBR600 PC25? KTM990SMT? VFR750 RC36-2? HP4345 MFD fax/printer/copier? Aprillia Futura? Yamaha FZ1 (faired)? Hornet CB600SF? I have more...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #137
MotoEdde
Bohemian Accountant

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Can I try for combos?
First Blade? CBR600 PC25? KTM990SMT? VFR750 RC36-2? HP4345 MFD fax/printer/copier? Aprillia Futura? Yamaha FZ1 (faired)? Hornet CB600SF? I have more...
Go for it...but are you claiming anyone of those achieved anything better than mediocrity in both aspects?
www.motoedde.com
MotoEdde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #138
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Go for it...but are you claiming anyone of those achieved anything better than mediocrity in both aspects?
Well, I kinda think that some of them achieved supremacy in one of two aspects...even more - if we talk production bikes I'd say that I secretly believe that old Blade was best real-life liter-class sportbike and at same time best amateur trackday tool at that time. I'd hesitate to say CBR600 PC25 was that too, but it made remarkably fast real-life 600 sportbike and suprisingly good sport-sport-tourer. All this versus other offers on market released/available at same time.
I also think Hornet SF made brilliant city street hooligan and brilliant lightweight commuter. I would not dare comment on KTM SMT because I want one so how would I know if it really that good after 1 test ride...
What about Superblackbird? It was best hypersport and best sport-sport tourer I think (not for long thou).

Anyway - I tried
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #139
Mathias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Dual/sport...sport/tourer...fax/copy machine...digital slr/video camera...etc.

Can someone point out a successful example of any? Anything that tried to be a hybrid..ends up being mediocre at best.
I think respectable mediocrity is the best some of us can hope for. If you have several conflicting needs from a bike, it's simply not possible to excel in all those fields.
Sure, there are a few of us with a whole stable of bikes, all which are the best in one specialized area. Most of us don't have that luxury.
For a bike designed to tour, it gets even more tricky, since that one bike has to serve all your needs during the trip.

Nothing wrong with a good compromise in my book...
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #140
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
here's my take
2 big people (you mean fat) are not going to be looking at this bike to serve their needs. honda has the st or the wing for that.

this bike is gonna serve older 1-up riders out there who want the touring amenties without the crazy expensive $ and don't need a massive engine as they cruise at 70 all day anyway.

what about those dedicated dual-sporters, offroaders who migh want a touring bike? that group is used to moderate power anyway.

to all you nay sayers are missing the point of this bike. there are many out there that would be delited w/ a 700 V motor...we don't need 150hp/150mph touring bikes when cruising at 70 is the goal.

if your not a motor head but want to tour then a gas it and go stone-reliable honda is welcomed.

i've been eyeing a sport tourer for my fleet and came down to the fjr1300. i was excited about everything except it had too much motor. i've now shifted my attention to a silver one of these w/ the larger lids & abs. i have a 650 strom becasue the 1000 is too much. with either of these bikes, if i can cruise at 80 on those empty western strecthes then anymore is either a ticket or an accident.

i'm not an old man (40) but my holligan days are over.
doing that in the end only costs $.

this a conservative bike for conservative spending times.
i think honda hit the nail on the head with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville
The limiting factor will be the tires.
Most 150/70-17 I found have a load rating of 69, or 716 lbs. Most 120/70-17s have a rating of 57, or 520 lbs.

The simple calculation would be 1236 (716+520) - 562 (Honda's ready to ride weight) = 674 (payload).

This does not allow for things like weight distribution and weight transfer (braking) and I don't know what concessions Honda (or any other maker) allow for these things, OR, what their lawyers deduct arbitrarily.

Allowing for two BIG people, (400 lbs.) and a lot of gear (100 lbs.), I'd say keep your tires inflated properly and don't worry about it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 10:38 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #141
MotoEdde
Bohemian Accountant

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
I think respectable mediocrity is the best some of us can hope for. If you have several conflicting needs from a bike, it's simply not possible to excel in all those fields.

Nothing wrong with a good compromise in my book...
I agree...but the marketing department of these manufacturers will lead you to believe something different. The Honda NT700 is merely a commuter/1-up tourer...not a sports tourer, enduro, etc.

BUT everybody's expectations are different...as criteria can be very subjective....like is the Bodo's on 29 better than SpudNutz?
www.motoedde.com
MotoEdde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #142
Vader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
FWIW, Honda is only bringing in a limited amount of the NT700V to the U.S and allocated 1 per dealer by end of 09. Maybe 2 for the 2010 year total. "Powersports" dealerships may get more.

I for one find the NT700V to be perfect for my needs and have put a deposit on it. Shaft drive, storage, upright seating position, adjustable windscreen, and inexpensive. I'll be riding 100miles per day just for commuting and to get to any nearby twisty roads will be even farther than that.

As for being a hooligan, that's what my trackbike and supermoto is for.

I don't find it fun to rip it up on the streets and would rather be a positive example of motorcycles to the public

The NT700V may be "slow" in some comparisons, but I never had a problem having fun with sportbikes on the vstrom, ST1300, VFR, and Warrior
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #143
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
here's my take
2 big people (you mean fat) are not going to be looking at this bike to serve their needs. honda has the st or the wing for that.

this bike is gonna serve older 1-up riders out there who want the touring amenties without the crazy expensive $ and don't need a massive engine as they cruise at 70 all day anyway.
I think you are right. I was attempting to figure the GVWR for Arkline's questions, using 500 lbs. as the extreme likely scenario.

It's clearly best suited for one up touring by someone who can appreciate a balance of design and without a lot to prove. It also looks like a good weekend bike for two up.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #144
arkline
Glorified AV Boy

Oddometer: 197
A friend of mine who used to be a dealer down Texas way pointed the NT700V out to me as a possible alternative to what I'm riding now. He knows that I commute almost daily throughout the year here in Seattle (gets a bit damp, doncha know) and that I'd like to be able to comfortably put some miles on without having another bike in the garage dedicated to the one function. And I think I'm the personification of "without a lot to prove" these days. So even with the Dullville moniker, I'm interested in the NT700V. It may be a bit on the spendy side, it may be a bit heavy, it may not lift the front wheel very easily, but I keep my bikes far longer than they are thrilling anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville
I think you are right. I was attempting to figure the GVWR for Arkline's questions, using 500 lbs. as the extreme likely scenario.

It's clearly best suited for one up touring by someone who can appreciate a balance of design and without a lot to prove. It also looks like a good weekend bike for two up.
arkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #145
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins

..... this bike is gonna serve older 1-up riders out there who want the touring amenties without the crazy expensive $ and don't need a massive engine as they cruise at 70 all day anyway.....
Right on, I couldn't agree more, applies to me personally. I also am growing quite weary of the 900 plus pounds of my 1800. My take on previous comments is that there are many riders with favorable opinions who could be buyers in first year. I would hate to finally decide to place order and then be told sorry but all sold out for the year. I just want to sit on one first before laying down deposit.
Several have mentioned that this bike could be replacement for DL650 Wee but I see it as a replacement for 1800 and perfect stable mate for the Wee.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys

oldturtle screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 04:00 PM
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #146
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
as honda is not sure how it will sell.
if they sell out fast you can bet they'll have more asap.

it's similar to the 1st fjr1300. yeah i know you need to place a $500 depo on those but the same concept of testing the waters. i think honda is gonna be pleasantly suprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader
FWIW, Honda is only bringing in a limited amount of the NT700V to the U.S and allocated 1 per dealer by end of 09. Maybe 2 for the 2010 year total. "Powersports" dealerships may get more.

I for one find the NT700V to be perfect for my needs and have put a deposit on it. Shaft drive, storage, upright seating position, adjustable windscreen, and inexpensive. I'll be riding 100miles per day just for commuting and to get to any nearby twisty roads will be even farther than that.

As for being a hooligan, that's what my trackbike and supermoto is for.

I don't find it fun to rip it up on the streets and would rather be a positive example of motorcycles to the public

The NT700V may be "slow" in some comparisons, but I never had a problem having fun with sportbikes on the vstrom, ST1300, VFR, and Warrior
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #147
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Source?
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #148
Vader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
Source?
The Honda rep that comes to the dealership I work for...
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #149
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
The Honda rep that comes to the dealership I work for...

Indeed- we were allocated one- I ordered silver for the floor, due to arrive in December.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #150
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
The Honda rep that comes to the dealership I work for..
10-4. My Honda dealer telephoned his contact w/ Honda to check on delivery dates for me. Dealer was told he was allocated only one NT700V for entire 2010 year and he should get order in soon to insure full selection of models.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote