Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #31
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
Amen. Of all the Euro bikes to bring here, why the Dullville?
To find a use for all the engine spare parts that aren't going to get used by unsold DN-01s?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #32
Mathias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
Amen. Of all the Euro bikes to bring here, why the Dullville?
I think it makes very good sense, as an antidote to all the silly cruiser stuff we've seen lately.
For once we see something cater to us boring, practical types! (maintenance issues, which were news to me, aside) Comparing it to, for example, an FZ6, is a bit off. I mean - shaft drive, full fairing, adjustable screen, comfortable seat, built in luggage that's very narrow (I love the pass-through, for things like tripods), and I might be wrong, but I think you can even get it with speakers in the fairing!
The closest bike I can think of was the BMW K75RT, which hasn't been around for ages. Currently, if you want something mid-sized for commuting and touring, our only choices were maxi-scoots.
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #33
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
The closest bike I can think of was the BMW K75RT, which hasn't been around for ages. Currently, if you want something mid-sized for commuting and touring, our only choices were maxi-scoots.
Touring on a small bike is fun. Surely there are some people out there wanting to update their R80RT or K75RT by now.

And remember that the last K75RT's sold in 1995 were $11K in the US! So the Deauville doesn't seem quite so expensive 15 years later.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #34
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I've noted on several boards that if the Deauville came with different brandname logos on the sides, some people would think it was a deal...
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #35
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
But, it's also kinda strange how much, or little, folks in the USA are prepared to pay for a bike. There's no way you'd get a bike like the Dville for £5000 and change over here

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

US price is actually very similar to UK price. UK price for ABS model is ~£7600. Current exchange rate is ~1.6, so US price at ~$12k ($11k basic plus $1k for sales tax added) is pretty much identical.
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #36
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
I like the idea of a smaller tourer.

Couple things to consider: if you haven't checked lately, manufacturers have had an across the board increase.

A 2009 Suzuki C50T cruiser is $9,099. A Honda Shadow 750 is $7999. A non-ABS Strom 650 is $7999.

While I'd love honda to buy market share- the reality is this isn't priced way out of line with current offerings from overseas.

In addition, I think the size is fine for the average person who likes a roomy seat and some storage, but also fuel economy. In short, the PC800 crowd- who just want to ride in practicality.

I've been commuting primarily on an F650GS- and it's done fine. It's rated at 50bhp, and I've not felt it to be especially lacking in power needed for a variety of riding tasks and environments.

With a claimed 67 horsepower, this bike will have power comparable to many larger cruisers but with less weight. Shaft drive, tubeless tires, integrated storage, etc. etc. etc.- I'm excited.

As much as I have enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) my larger displacement bikes as well- the reality is that I don't see a need for mega-Mondo engines for cruising at 80mph. The smaller ones get it done, often with better gas mileage. I routinely ride at 80 on the 650, and get 50 mpg- I can't wait to see what this bike returns.

I canceled my DN-01 order for the floor- but I will have one of these on the floor as soon as we can. It looks like December, at this point.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #37
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,142
I saw one this morning. At the Cars & Coffee show. Silly me, I was taking phone pics of the Dullsville, when there was a nice Triumph cafe racer, and and RC45 beside it.

Anyways, it looked pretty good. I hate to say it, but that gutless lump of a bike actually fits my current riding profile pretty well. (Big surprise, I'm a PC800 owner). I didn't get to see the bags open, but the ass is narrower than my PC, so I doubt that a full face helmet is going inside it. It was interesting to see chromed tube handlebars on a modern bike, and the dash looked like it came from a Civic. Overall, I liked the look of it, and it's intended purpose seems to come across in the way it looks, just very practical. The windshield looks like it's adjustable too. Maybe one of you Brits can verify that.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #38
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
Touring on a small bike is fun. Surely there are some people out there wanting to update their R80RT or K75RT by now.

And remember that the last K75RT's sold in 1995 were $11K in the US! So the Deauville doesn't seem quite so expensive 15 years later.

The Pacific Coast was $ 8995 back in 1989.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #39
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Specs are listed here: http://www.motorcyclingmag.com/2010_...rcycle_Preview - at the end of the write-up is a link to add'l specs.

5-position screen, manual.

4.3 gal tank, +.9 gal reserve

What I'm reading over @ ST Owners is that it might have a different/updated motor from the Deauville; possibly other things too. Maint doesn't sound more difficult than any other bike so far; if the lifters are really hydraulic, then no more valve checks/adjustments!
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh

PizzaHog screwed with this post 09-05-2009 at 11:17 AM
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #40
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s
Further proof that Honda has gone completely off the rails.
i don't think so. i've know about this bike for years in europe & wanted one.

in the US the only way to get proper fairing/screen protection, abs, shaft, luggage...a sport tourer is to buy a bike with a fire breathing 150 mph engine.

i want all those amenities but don't need a engine that big/fast/powerfull (i'd get myself in trouble way to fast). i own a strom to try to get to this but it's still laking in proper wind protection. there are alot of older riders (with $) who have the same mindset!!!

the deauville also has lower fairings as an option. would i buy one new, no. i'll wait and let someone else take the depreciation hit, but this bike is the sport tourer i've been waiting for. i can see the rental companies jumping all over this bike for their fleet.

is it premium priced? yes a bit, but then honda has moved themself up as the premium japanese mfg. they are going against bmw.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60

eakins screwed with this post 09-05-2009 at 11:48 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #41
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
I saw one this morning. At the Cars & Coffee show. Silly me, I was taking phone pics of the Dullsville, when there was a nice Triumph cafe racer, and and RC45 beside it.

Anyways, it looked pretty good. I hate to say it, but that gutless lump of a bike actually fits my current riding profile pretty well. (Big surprise, I'm a PC800 owner). I didn't get to see the bags open, but the ass is narrower than my PC, so I doubt that a full face helmet is going inside it. It was interesting to see chromed tube handlebars on a modern bike, and the dash looked like it came from a Civic. Overall, I liked the look of it, and it's intended purpose seems to come across in the way it looks, just very practical. The windshield looks like it's adjustable too. Maybe one of you Brits can verify that.
OK, since my comment on maintenance was purely about maintenance let me try to give you more information.

As I mentioned before - you can order it with XL panniers lids that are quite deeper and allow you to easily stuff full face helmet plus countless stuff (as my friend on Norway ride did). Panniers are interconnected, so that luggage space are across both sides above rear wheel.
It is suprisingly agile and fast on backroads. Honda top box also available, as well as bellypan/feet protector that covers feet from water from under front wheel. Unfortunately at 280 Euro it is way to dear and instead aftermarket parts are cheaper and better looking.
Windshield is adjustable, but not "remotely" as on ST1300. Just mechanics - loose bolts, move, tighten.
Fuel exonomy is excellent. Not sure how to translate it to mpg but it took 4.5 - 5.5 liter per 100 on that trip.
In a falls those little pieces of grey plastic protect fairing from scratches quite well (my friend tested it unfortunately).
CABS is standard and works brilliantly. Brakes just really good.
Excellent ground clearance too.
Injection works perfectly too. Lightweight - it isn't, and you will feel it until it starts to move (typical Honda).
Top speed tested to be about 198 kmph.

Apart from pain in the backside for maintenance (which is more of problem for non-experience wrenches :)) and fact that it is JUST A MOTORCYCLE it is excellent real life machine.
However, build quality is not as old Deauville, but unless you nitpicking kinda guy (I am) you will not even notice it.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #42
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Fuel exonomy is excellent. Not sure how to translate it to mpg but it took 4.5 - 5.5 liter per 100 on that trip.

First- thanks for the review. Second, 5L/100km = about 47 mpg. according to a conversion website I checked out.

Not horrible for a loaded tourer.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
OK, since my comment on maintenance was purely about maintenance let me try to give you more information.
We may be jumping the gun a bit on this. I've found nothing to prove that this is a US-version of the Deauville. The NT700V might share some/many things with the Deauville, but it might have some modernization/upgrades as well. I'm not seeing anything proving that the engine is the same - it might have the same displacement, but with hydraulic lifters a possibility, more modern materials...I'm adopting a wait-and-see approach. The ST is supposedly a beast to do maint on, and though I'm no "real" wrench, I did everything but throttle body syncs on my own.

Deauville review/specs are here. NT700 specs are here. [Thanks to ST-Owners members for the links and info!] Maybe some of you folks on the other side of the pond can do the US-metric conversions to see if there's any mechanical differences re: specs.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #44
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
The Pacific Coast was $ 8995 back in 1989.
Rick, are you sure? I bought my K75S in 1989, and its MSRP was $7325.

I looked at a PC too, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't more expensive than the BMW.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #45
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt
US price is actually very similar to UK price. UK price for ABS model is ~£7600. Current exchange rate is ~1.6, so US price at ~$12k ($11k basic plus $1k for sales tax added) is pretty much identical.
You got me
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote