Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #706
ptarman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Tony, I'm guessing the Shinkos make the bike a bit more suited for gravel and dirt. I'm also guessing that you didn't have clearance issues with the taller tire on the front. How is grip on dry roads? I think we'll all be waiting for information about how long they last.
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #707
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarman View Post
Tony, I'm guessing the Shinkos make the bike a bit more suited for gravel and dirt. I'm also guessing that you didn't have clearance issues with the taller tire on the front. How is grip on dry roads? I think we'll all be waiting for information about how long they last.
I did have to raise the fender about an inch. After I figured it out it wasn't a bad job at all. I'm going to start a thread on the NT owners forum where I'll give more details. I just got the tires on about 11PM last night so too soon for an evaluation but initially I like it. It definitly slowed the handling down. The combination of the bigger diameter and taller sidewall make it ride noticeably better.

These tires stuck pretty well on my WR250R. I'll give them a good test on this bike as well before I comment.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #708
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
I did have to raise the fender about an inch. After I figured it out it wasn't a bad job at all. I'm going to start a thread on the NT owners forum where I'll give more details. I just got the tires on about 11PM last night so too soon for an evaluation but initially I like it. It definitly slowed the handling down. The combination of the bigger diameter and taller sidewall make it ride noticeably better.

These tires stuck pretty well on my WR250R. I'll give them a good test on this bike as well before I comment.
I ran Shinko's on my DR650 and got about 4,000 out of a rear of course it was a lot more gravel eating away than would be with the NT.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #709
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Honda just announced that the Deauville will be coming to the US as a 2010 model - as the NT700V and NT700V ABS.

There's also a VTX1300C fuel injected model and a new bobber - Shadow Phantom

For 2010, the CBRs get:

wait for it...

wait for it..

"Exciting new graphics."

No word yet on an updated VFR.
A sad day indeed - the NT700V - A better choice is the CBF600 fo the US
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #710
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanjim View Post
A sad day indeed - the NT700V - A better choice is the CBF600 fo the US
What is sad? Half breed crotch rockets are a dime a dozen in the US, middle weight sport touring bikes are not. The NT was brought here to target people who ride piles of miles and do it in style "No I am not a rapper" without leaving comfort and storage out of the equation.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #711
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm all for middle weight sport tourers. I believe the intent of the bike is right just a bit wonky on the styling. The CBF600 is more to my liking. And yes I feel like you about crotch rockets. How lame to have clip on low mounted bars and ride bolt upright when the intent of the low bars is to be in a racing croutch. Whatever floats yur boat I say.

Read here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post15737373
Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #712
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanjim View Post
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm all for middle weight sport tourers. I believe the intent of the bike is right just a bit wonky on the styling. The CBF600 is more to my liking. And yes I feel like you about crotch rockets. How lame to have clip on low mounted bars and ride bolt upright when the intent of the low bars is to be in a racing croutch. Whatever floats yur boat I say.

Read here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post15737373
You didn't hurt my feelings, Honda didn't bill the NT as "Do all" machine, I am just sick of hearing the NT being compared to bikes that are in a totally different category. It is apparent that the NT is not a track bike nor is it going to be crossing log's or streams without some major modifications. If I want to go fast I'll buy a Busa, for gravel I'd get a Strom, but I want to enjoy long comfortable day's of sport touring and commuting so I bought an NT.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #713
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Oh, I totally think the bike is a great road bike for those that commute. The reason I wasn't interested in it is that I have 3 bikes currently that are pretty much only street bikes.

It's about time the next bike I get is reasonably capable on dirt.

But for an every day commuter, the NT700V sure seemed a decent choice. Especially since it already has bags on it, and many bikes chosen for commuting have to have them added.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #714
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewasmud View Post
You didn't hurt my feelings, Honda didn't bill the NT as "Do all" machine, I am just sick of hearing the NT being compared to bikes that are in a totally different category. It is apparent that the NT is not a track bike nor is it going to be crossing log's or streams without some major modifications. If I want to go fast I'll buy a Busa, for gravel I'd get a Strom, but I want to enjoy long comfortable day's of sport touring and commuting so I bought an NT.
I want to appologize. I confused the NT700V with the DN01. I think the NT is a fine middle weight commuter/sport tour.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #715
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 140
So is living with the NT700 a good thing any drawbcks over the.twice as big nt1300? I like the bike and built on bags, it seems to want anything a road commuter and traveller could want.
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #716
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Anybody running an aftermarket muffler?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #717
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Middleweight?
NT700V dry weight 562 lbs.
My Aprilia Futura dry weight 463 lbs. With the bonus of about double the horsepower. Oh yeah, I'm excited.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #718
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
Middleweight?
My Aprilia Futura dry weight 463 lbs. With the bonus of about double the horsepower. Oh yeah, I'm excited.
I get your point, but to be fair - that's the Honda's ready to ride (wet) weight. Put 5-gallons of fuel, coolant, etc. in the Aprilia and I bet it's within 30 lbs of the NT.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #719
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s View Post
I get your point, but to be fair - that's the Honda's ready to ride (wet) weight. Put 5-gallons of fuel, coolant, etc. in the Aprilia and I bet it's within 30 lbs of the NT.
Oh, those buggers tricked me. It said Dry Weight: 562 lbs (wet)

So you would be correct. Still.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #720
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
Middleweight?
562 is the wet weight of the NT

MCN says the wet weight of the Futura is 542.5

This Futura owner said that his Futura weighed "250kg (not including panniers) weighed on the accurate automotive scale when registered"

250 kilograms = 551.155655 pounds

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...64&postcount=3
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote