Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #61
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
In regards to pricing- if you guys haven't noticed, check out the pricing increased across the board for 2009 and 2010 models from a variety of your regularly scheduled Japanese manufacturers. I got hit mid-year 2009, on items I'd ordered at one price, but later were shipped at a significant price increase.

I don't deal with Suzuki, but the 2009 C50T retails for $9099.

Where's the outcry?
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #62
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkami
Hot damn, if this is $10,000, how much will the VFR1200 be? I was hoping the VFR1200 would be priced with the CBR1000R, but...probably not.

The current VFR800 with ABS is $ 12,995.
I think when I bought mine in 02 the MSRP was only $ 10,995.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #63
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
A 2009 VT750CD Shadow retails for $7999- and that's a long in the tooth design.

More tech = more $$.

Reduced sales numbers disallows for economies of scale- so unless it's all outsourced Hangbang parts, expect to see super tech bikes built of what was once exotic metals to cost more as time goes on.

Kind of makes a return of the CB750 Nighthawk a potential steal at $4500.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #64
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
we've been getting them here in Australia for a while. the panniers are moulded into the rear plastics and can't be removed, the slightest damage requires a complete rear section, big money. There have been a few of these for sale as repairable right offs with little more than scratches and some broken plastic. Linked brakes. A real dud.
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #65
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBare
we've been getting them here in Australia for a while. the panniers are moulded into the rear plastics and can't be removed, the slightest damage requires a complete rear section, big money. There have been a few of these for sale as repairable right offs with little more than scratches and some broken plastic. Linked brakes. A real dud.
so it's not a dual-sport, and some [like me] like linked brakes.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #66
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
In regards to pricing- if you guys haven't noticed, check out the pricing increased across the board for 2009 and 2010 models from a variety of your regularly scheduled Japanese manufacturers. I got hit mid-year 2009, on items I'd ordered at one price, but later were shipped at a significant price increase.

I don't deal with Suzuki, but the 2009 C50T retails for $9099.

Where's the outcry?
Here's your outcry:

AHHHHH, my eyes! Get that fucking thing off of my screen!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #67
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
At $7,500 and $8,000, this bike would have been a dull but solid success in the states -- the spiritual successor to the old Concours -- the low-cost, high-value, sport tourer that isn't sexy but works well and everyone can afford.

At $10,000 and $11,000, it's dead on arrival. Honda NA will sell about as many of these as the $15,000+ DN-01's.

This at a time when bike sales are down 40-50% because of the economy, and there's no employment recovery in sight.

I don't know what the heck Honda NA is thinking. Sometimes I think there's someone in the organization who secretly hates the motorcycle business and is trying to kill it.

Desertbilly screwed with this post 09-05-2009 at 07:45 PM
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #68
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Here's your outcry:

AHHHHH, my eyes! Get that fucking thing off of my screen!
Lol, that's what i was thinking.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #69
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly

I don't know what the heck Honda NA is thinking. Sometimes I think there's someone in the organization who secretly hates the motorcycle business and is trying to kill it.
No kidding.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #70
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #71
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
The closest bike I can think of was the BMW K75RT...
As discussed earlier, the F800ST is VERY close in spec, albeit considerably more expensive.

While this Honda is a bit expensive, the outcry that it is priced to the moon is unjustified. It's about $2K more than a Strom, but it has integral luggage and shaft drive, both relatively expensive features, and the Strom is renowned for being a very cheap bike. And the F800ST, the bike that really is close in spec, is about $2.5K more once you buy the bags and mounts for it. Everything being considered, it really is priced like all Hondas these days - a little higher than the competition.

All in all, the pricing is a little high, but no where near DN-01 levels.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 09-06-2009 at 09:23 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #72
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
As discussed earlier, the F800ST is VERY close in spec, albeit considerably more expensive.

While this Honda is a bit expensive, the outcry that it is priced to the moon is unjustified. It's about $2K more than a Strom, but it has integral luggage and shaft drive, both relatively expensive features, and the Strom is renowned for being a very cheap bike. And the F800ST, the bike that really is close in spec, is about $2.5K more once you buy the bags and mounts for it. Everything being considered, it really is priced like all Hondas these days - a little higher than the competition.

All in all, the pricing is a little high, but no where near DN-01 levels.

- Mark
+1
sometimes you get what you pay for.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #73
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
The Deauxville is very close to being the perfect bike for me. If I could tweek the weight and price down a little and the performance up a little and make the maintenance a non PITA, it would be my dream machine. As it stands now it still may be my next bike. If it is to be, I'll wait until the 2010 models become non-current...and we all know they will, and the price for an ABS model drops by about 2K.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #74
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
I gotta say the Deauville is ugly, looks like a big scooter, I say this as a Wee Strom owner.

I bet it will be a nice bike to ride and very competent and pretty bulletproof as most Honda's seem to be.

I miss the Honda of old, a company that went its own way and made boldly engineered bikes instead of the boring stuff we get now.
even their cars and trucks are very competent but boring as hell.
KTMRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #75
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I don't see 10-11K as that much for this bike. I would rather have the Honda than any BMW, which would be considerably more. I know plenty of riders that would love to own a real touring machine in this mid size range. The Wee Strom is a nice bike but I would prefer this Honda for the type of riding I do. I see the Wee as a compromise, jack of all...thing. I see the Honda as a comfortable road touring bike, much like my Norge but more affordable and with dealer support. I really like the integrated bags with pass through, they are very narrow at the rear of the bike and look good to me. I have been riding for 40yrs and this may be the touring bike for me. Honda dealers are everywhere and going coast-to-coast or RTW on this bike would be a piece of cake. BTW that engine is sweet, reliable, and will do 100K miles with ease.
Strom owners calling it ugly is rather funny as is all the market analysis types here forecasting its doom. You may not like Honda, fair enough, but to think they did not analyze the market is a bit naive.
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote