Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #781
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 59,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Interesting to see the NT comes with the same "tipover wings" that the ST1100 and ST1300 have.

For those of you carrying passengers on this bike, I'm very interesting in how the pillion comfort is for long days in the saddle -- say 300-400 miles.

will link it as soon as we get some cooler wx ..... so far wife is happy with the seat and our combined weight does not upset the bike in the twisties though I am not going to test that too far.

I will mention this thing puts out some heat

I would not want to be going stop light to stop light very far.... thank the gods I can be on back country roads in 5 minutes or less.

PB
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #782
Pork Butt
Save the USA

I also ordered and they came today ... Bestem pannier liners from MotorcycleLarry ..

they look and fit great ...... a top box and two panniers full should be more than enough for us.

PB

Pork Butt screwed with this post 07-14-2011 at 07:16 PM
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #783
dwa5591
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Need to lower

Would love to have this bike but it is to tall. I know you can get a 3/4 " lower seat but still needs about 3/4" more.
dwa5591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #784
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,288
I'm short too with a 28" inseam on a tall day. I just accept that I'll never flatfoot any bike I own.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #785
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
My Nighthawk is 31.1" with the stock seat. My Corbin is probably a little taller. I'm not sure because the bike had been lowered with the use of shorter shocks when I had the stock seat on it. I restored the bike to the proper height with the use of properly sized shocks. Corbin is showing this seat at 31". http://www.corbin.com/honda/hnt7v.shtml That is shorter than the V-Strom and Versys, its 2 closest competitors. I have a 27" inseam and I can flatfoot my Nighthawk if I scoot forward.

The best technique is right foot on the brake and left foot flat on the ground.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #786
Pork Butt
Save the USA

this thread needs a bump

we did about 100 miles today to Paint Bank VA on 311 .... awesome twisty road in some places and one heck of a neat store and restaurant that raise and sell their own Buffalo meat.

leader of the heard is easy to spot

I have been through here and stopped a thousand times it seems .... never once bought anything until today ....

cool shirt

OK.. back to the NT700 ...... on tight twisty mountain roads ..... very surprising .... not tons of power for passing two up ... especially when passing up hill .... but she is very smooth through corners and the brakes do a good job though I am not going to push them with my wife on the back .... we did buy this as a touring machine after all.

I am still very happy with the bike and PB wife gives the back rest/top box thumbs up

PB
Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #787
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Well, I just got up to 1000 miles on the Nt so it's time for a report. The latches for the panniers continue to be a bit wonky, they don't want to close properly but a little bump with the palm of my hand solves that. I was a bit disappointed with the power at first. Not so much anymore. I have gotten used to how this motor makes it's power and now find that it is satisfactory everywhere I need it.

On the interstate in dirty wind the bike feels like it's got a flat tire. In clean wind, I can't believe a bike is this smooth at speed. Vibes are minimal at anything below 70. Below 60 they are almost nonexistent. Seating position and comfort Are excellent. Wind protection is great. I love the inset panniers for working through traffic. No worries about them sticking out far enough to clip a car when I'm trying to get out in front of a group of slow cars.

Handling is great. It's not as precise as the versys but it'll take a 30mph onramp at 45+ without complaint. As compliant as the suspention is you expect it to wallow a bit when pushed hard but it cuts a good line when leaned over at speed.

Brakes are top notch. I have yet to use more than two fingers on the front.

I am very happy about the trade I made, I do miss the "gee I wonder if my front tire is still on the ground" power of the versys, but the tradeoffs more than satisfy what I want in a bike.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #788
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company View Post
Well, I just got up to 1000 miles on the Nt so it's time for a report. The latches for the panniers continue to be a bit wonky, they don't want to close properly but a little bump with the palm of my hand solves that. I was a bit disappointed with the power at first. Not so much anymore. I have gotten used to how this motor makes it's power and now find that it is satisfactory everywhere I need it.

On the interstate in dirty wind the bike feels like it's got a flat tire. In clean wind, I can't believe a bike is this smooth at speed. Vibes are minimal at anything below 70. Below 60 they are almost nonexistent. Seating position and comfort Are excellent. Wind protection is great. I love the inset panniers for working through traffic. No worries about them sticking out far enough to clip a car when I'm trying to get out in front of a group of slow cars.

Handling is great. It's not as precise as the versys but it'll take a 30mph onramp at 45+ without complaint. As compliant as the suspention is you expect it to wallow a bit when pushed hard but it cuts a good line when leaned over at speed.

Brakes are top notch. I have yet to use more than two fingers on the front.

I am very happy about the trade I made, I do miss the "gee I wonder if my front tire is still on the ground" power of the versys, but the tradeoffs more than satisfy what I want in a bike.
Did you put on any bar risers?

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #789
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Nope no bar risers.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #790
lcseds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I installed the Helibar riser kit. 2.5 inch rise, 3.5" pullback. Tried the MCL 1" riser and that did not help with the shoulder, wrist and back pain I experienced after a short amount of ride time. I was concerned I had made a mistake buying this bike. The Helibar kit solved it all for me. In fact, now my wife is taking it all the time so we have started looking for a "twin sister" NT.

Before;

After:
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #791
ptarman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I'm over 30,000 miles with my NT now and still loving it. I've got the 4th front tire on it the third rear. I changed the OEM BT-020s out at 6K. The front would have gone farther, but I was leaving on a 4,000 mile trip and didn't want to worry about having to buy a tire on the road. I put the BT-023s on and then got a big old nasty hole in the rear at 6,000 miles.

Then I went to Metzler ME-880 bias-ply rear in a 160/70X17. It lasted 15,000 miles, but I like the way the BT-023 feels, so it's back on the rear now.
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #792
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
I installed the Helibar riser kit. 2.5 inch rise, 3.5" pullback. Tried the MCL 1" riser and that did not help with the shoulder, wrist and back pain I experienced after a short amount of ride time. I was concerned I had made a mistake buying this bike. The Helibar kit solved it all for me. In fact, now my wife is taking it all the time so we have started looking for a "twin sister" NT.

Before;

After:
Interesting - just noticed...
Check out your weight distribution difference picture 1 and picture 2. I think it will be good to crank up rear a bit with new bars because this is not good for taking corners
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #793
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I am a big, tall guy at 6' 6" and 280 lbs. My last bike was a 2009 Vstrom 650 which I liked. I haven't had a bike this year and really miss it riding, so I am exploring all options in hopes of getting something new this winter or early spring. My riding is 100% street, lots of twisty roads here in the Pacific NW, lots of rain and wet roads here too. I ride 10-12,000 miles a year typically.

Until now I have had cruisers and adventure bikes mainly because they're the only ones I've found that fit me. I'd love an ST1300 but my shins hit the fairing.

Do you all know anyone who's tall like me and rides one of these? Would I be too large for it?
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #794
ptarman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hi! We've got quite a few NT riders over on the NT Forum at NT-Owners.org. I know there are some who are well over six feet, and there are also people who have very long legs. Why don't you hop over there (I'm a moderator) and if you'll post something like you just posted here as in introduction, I'd be happy to welcome you to the Forum. You'll get lots of answers!

Some may be right!
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #795
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thanks Phil, I'll check it out!
advD is offline   Reply With Quote