ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #796
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley
 
Bad Company's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Leavenworth Kansas
Oddometer: 1,286
Temp was 50 degrees on the ride home tonight. Wind protection is great and I'll never again own a motorcycle without heated grips. They rock! I had to run them on low they got that warm! The tank on this bike is too small. On most bikes my butt is looking for a rest by the time the tank is done but this one is comfortable enough that I could go several more hours before needing to rest.
__________________
“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton
Bad Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #797
notrivia
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Anywhere my tent fits!
Oddometer: 58
Deauville is Dullville

I went through 4 NT650 Honda Hawks which I bought for commuteing and touring, putting some 300,000 miles on them. I'm small, so the tiny size of the bike was always a relief to me as I prize quick handling over "stability" at highway speeds. The Hawk is the Grandfather to the Deauville, and no doubt he is somersaulting in his grave at his prodigy's abandonment of the minimalist creed which made the Hawk such a peerless handler. With a punched-out engine under the Erion Brothers, the Hawk beat Ducati for some championship back in the '80s.The Deauville is just a further abomination of the British Revere, a steel-framed and shaft-driven indefatigueable drafthorse for the messenger trade in England. Well, you can be certain it will be reliable gentleman, but to all us wannabe Hawk pilots (my four were lost to crash's, economics, and moving) it is a very sad denouement. Bring the Hawk back!
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #798
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
I went through 4 NT650 Honda Hawks which I bought for commuteing and touring, putting some 300,000 miles on them. I'm small, so the tiny size of the bike was always a relief to me as I prize quick handling over "stability" at highway speeds. The Hawk is the Grandfather to the Deauville, and no doubt he is somersaulting in his grave at his prodigy's abandonment of the minimalist creed which made the Hawk such a peerless handler. With a punched-out engine under the Erion Brothers, the Hawk beat Ducati for some championship back in the '80s.The Deauville is just a further abomination of the British Revere, a steel-framed and shaft-driven indefatigueable drafthorse for the messenger trade in England. Well, you can be certain it will be reliable gentleman, but to all us wannabe Hawk pilots (my four were lost to crash's, economics, and moving) it is a very sad denouement. Bring the Hawk back!
It has crossed my mind that if Honda put the fuel injected 700 in the old Hawk running gear and put a 5 gallon tank on it, I'd buy one. The old Hawk was a great machine. Wish I'd kept mine.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #799
Pork Butt
Save the USA
 
Pork Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: here, there, and everywhere
Oddometer: 58,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
I went through 4 NT650 Honda Hawks which I bought for commuteing and touring, putting some 300,000 miles on them. I'm small, so the tiny size of the bike was always a relief to me as I prize quick handling over "stability" at highway speeds. The Hawk is the Grandfather to the Deauville, and no doubt he is somersaulting in his grave at his prodigy's abandonment of the minimalist creed which made the Hawk such a peerless handler. With a punched-out engine under the Erion Brothers, the Hawk beat Ducati for some championship back in the '80s.The Deauville is just a further abomination of the British Revere, a steel-framed and shaft-driven indefatigueable drafthorse for the messenger trade in England. Well, you can be certain it will be reliable gentleman, but to all us wannabe Hawk pilots (my four were lost to crash's, economics, and moving) it is a very sad denouement. Bring the Hawk back!



you should ride a Duc Hypermotard just once


PB
__________________
I'm a piston farmer .....
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #800
Pork Butt
Save the USA
 
Pork Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: here, there, and everywhere
Oddometer: 58,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
I installed the Helibar riser kit. 2.5 inch rise, 3.5" pullback. Tried the MCL 1" riser and that did not help with the shoulder, wrist and back pain I experienced after a short amount of ride time. I was concerned I had made a mistake buying this bike. The Helibar kit solved it all for me. In fact, now my wife is taking it all the time so we have started looking for a "twin sister" NT.

Before;


After:
I am thinking about risers too..... were you able to keep stock cables ???


PB
__________________
I'm a piston farmer .....
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #801
lcseds
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Middle of NC
Oddometer: 69
Not with the Helibar kit as the rise is radical. You can install 1" risers (from MCL for example). I had those on prior. No new cables needed with 1". But the stock cables looked like that was as far as you can go.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #802
Pork Butt
Save the USA
 
Pork Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: here, there, and everywhere
Oddometer: 58,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Not with the Helibar kit as the rise is radical. You can install 1" risers (from MCL for example). I had those on prior. No new cables needed with 1". But the stock cables looked like that was as far as you can go.
yeah, I finally got onto Heli's site ...... it was down when I posted ..... I might do that over the winter but it's a bit steep for me as my wife likes to stay under 200 miles a day... more like 100. I can live with the riding position for short rides.


I'm also getting mixed reviews of putting a Power Commander on an NT .... it's a bit slow for passing on the up hill here in the mountains especially two up but ripping in the twisties was not the reason I bought the bike.

we ran over to WV today and with the shield all the way up makes for a pleasant all day ride in the wind two up even in heavy wind gusts.

EDIT: also found your review on the NT forum ..... good stuff ....

PB
__________________
I'm a piston farmer .....

Pork Butt screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 05:48 PM
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #803
Olexa
Adventurer
 
Olexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Ukraine
Oddometer: 17
Hi, guys! My friends make additional luggage rack for Deauville. This rack function is transportation measurement lightweight cargo like tent(s), air bed(s), tourist carpet(s) etc.








__________________
http://olexarider.ucoz.ua
Olexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #804
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,911
Nice rack!

I never thought I would say that about a motorcycle.
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #805
Pork Butt
Save the USA
 
Pork Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: here, there, and everywhere
Oddometer: 58,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Nice rack!

I never thought I would say that about a motorcycle.
are the grab rails on 2010 models removable (the side box latches are integrated ) ???


the latches on that one are on the box tops



PB
__________________
I'm a piston farmer .....
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #806
RapidRobert
Viagra Donor & reprobate
 
RapidRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mayberry, NE Texas
Oddometer: 372
Been watching this thread since it's inception. The Deauville/NT700 has been a bike of interest to me since it was introduced in Europe back in the 90's. At the time I was buying Brit bike mags on the newsstand, and recall the press this bike got back then. I was disappointed then that it wasn't going to be sold over here across the pond. Ten years later it was finally brought over. I read everything I could find on the bike, searched the web for picts and videos, saved a bunch to my computer's hard drive, and even spent some time sitting on one at the Dallas IMS back in '09 (I posted picts earlier in this thread). I wanted one!

Finally got to ride one last weekend, as I find myself temporarily bikeless and shopping. I was hooked before I left the seller's driveway. So I made a deal on a lightly used '10 model in red. Pick it up this weekend. Can't wait!
__________________
"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."
RapidRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #807
ptarman
Adventurer
 
ptarman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRobert View Post
Finally got to ride one last weekend, as I find myself temporarily bikeless and shopping. I was hooked before I left the seller's driveway. So I made a deal on a lightly used '10 model in red. Pick it up this weekend. Can't wait!
Robert, Congratulations! I'm sure that you'll really like the NT. It is a bit sad that you had to end up with the slower red one, although I guess most of the Superior Silver models are still with their ecstatic owners.

__________________
Phil Tarman
Ft. Morgan, CO
2010 Honda NT700V ABS
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #808
Pork Butt
Save the USA
 
Pork Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: here, there, and everywhere
Oddometer: 58,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRobert View Post
Been watching this thread since it's inception. The Deauville/NT700 has been a bike of interest to me since it was introduced in Europe back in the 90's. At the time I was buying Brit bike mags on the newsstand, and recall the press this bike got back then. I was disappointed then that it wasn't going to be sold over here across the pond. Ten years later it was finally brought over. I read everything I could find on the bike, searched the web for picts and videos, saved a bunch to my computer's hard drive, and even spent some time sitting on one at the Dallas IMS back in '09 (I posted picts earlier in this thread). I wanted one!

Finally got to ride one last weekend, as I find myself temporarily bikeless and shopping. I was hooked before I left the seller's driveway. So I made a deal on a lightly used '10 model in red. Pick it up this weekend. Can't wait!
congrats ...... I ride mine every day and it was by far my wife's favorite of the bikes we looked at for two up riding.



PB
__________________
I'm a piston farmer .....
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #809
RapidRobert
Viagra Donor & reprobate
 
RapidRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mayberry, NE Texas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
congrats ...... I ride mine every day and it was by far my wife's favorite of the bikes we looked at for two up riding.
PB

PB,
My wife is pissed Big Time because I bought the NT and not the BMW K1200 LT that I was looking at and also test rode. She had her heart set on that big ol' LT, thinking that after years of my riding sporty bikes she might finally get to ride with me and maybe take a trip. She was devastated when I told her I thought the NT would be a better all-arounder for me and the way I ride. She's just convinced that she won't be comfortable on the NT, although she has no empirical evidence of that, she refused to go with me to test ride the NT. But then (lucky me) that's the way she is with everything, making her mind up based solely on pre-conceived opinions without any personal experience to back up that opinion.

I'm hoping she'll warm up and eventually agree to at least try the NT. But then, maybe I'll have more fun without her ...
__________________
"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."
RapidRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #810
JamesG
Rabid Poster
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 10,946
Should have just come home with the NT and seen if she noticed it wasn't the Beemer.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014