Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #106
Towjam OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
I'm getting ride of my DL650 to get one.

Yup it's not the most exciting bike in motorcycledom
It's not the latest and greatest

But what it will be for me
a bike that with a top box will make a great all around bike.
and I can carry a ton of stuff while still splitting lanes...
...and seeing that it has been around on the other side of the pond for a number of years, it won't have those typical "first model year bugs".

I think this bike is going to do well for Honda North America.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #107
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
I'm getting ride of my DL650 to get one.

Yup it's not the most exciting bike in motorcycledom
It's not the latest and greatest

But what it will be for me
a bike that with a top box will make a great all around bike.
and I can carry a ton of stuff while still splitting lanes.

I also wish that it would come with a VTR1000F engine and about 100 pounds less weight. With a 200mile range.

But that's not going to happen.
Soft spot for me (VTR1000F in the garage) but about fuel.

It does have 200 mile range, I mean current NT700V. Yep, no such chance with VTR1000F engine but with current mill it proved it can do at least 330 km between stops. My friend did not push it beyond 330 as we did not want to get group stuck somewhere in forrest in Norway, but he did ride quite fast, so I think range is good.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #108
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
A couple of observations:

The bike looks pretty good to me and I agree that it seems a refreshing alternative to the huge, over-engined alternatives.

The one piece, non removable bags are kind of a turn off for several reasons.

Where is anyone deriving this hydraulic valves dream from? Sounds like wishful thinking not based in reality.

I don't think it's especially pricey considering it's standard equipment, though no bargain either.

Ease of maintenance and it's frequency is a big issue for me and will be a deal breaker if it proves to be a PITA.

No doubt Honda is one goofy company these days, and in recent years. The so called super conservative Honda when they bust loose give us circus bikes like the Valkyrie Rune and the DN-01 all the while denying us any decent dual sport machines that the rest of the world enjoys. They recently honored us (the US) with allowing us to buy their 150cc scooter for $4600! While the CRF230L sells for the same but has technology hearkening back to the 1970s. Oh boy. But, I digress...

I'll try to keep an open mind about this new "tourer" and eagerly await more feedback.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #109
maydaymike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Where is anyone deriving this hydraulic valves dream from? Sounds like wishful thinking not based in reality.
I think it's coming from the people that are looking for the the second coming of the PC800. Removing all the tupperware was a pain, but you hardly ever had to do it. The hydraulic lifters in the PC engine meant that maintenence consisted of fluid changes and tires.

The thing is Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
maydaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #110
MotoEdde
Bohemian Accountant

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maydaymike
I think it's coming from the people that are looking for the the second coming of the PC800. Removing all the tupperware was a pain, but you hardly ever had to do it. The hydraulic lifters in the PC engine meant that maintenence consisted of fluid changes and tires.
It doesn't come with hydraulic valves...they're adjusted with a screw. Thankfully not shims!
www.motoedde.com
MotoEdde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #111
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,344
I thought it came with hydraulic valves and said so on the first page of this thread. My bad, I was hoping it had them and thought I read it somewhere.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #112
Vader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Does anyone know how often does the NT700V need valve inspection?

8k, 16k?
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #113
Gradall
Army of one gets it done

Oddometer: 74
Eh?

an observation...
Why does it have the tip over skid plates and non removable luggage???? Won't the luggage catch the ground before the skid plate????
Gradall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #114
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

No, it wont. Do not ask me why, but when my friend went down in Norway (3 times actually) in a) straightforward tip over b)slow speed low side c)missing balance in ultra-slow turn as he is very short guy
he broke (pushed in) front indicator, bent gearchange link a bit and hit mirror and that skid plate. And Honda optional bellypan cracked.
Beats me, but that's fact - and he has XL sized side pannier covers. But it would not miss handguards and if it would have dropped to other side it might have gotten exhaust damaged.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #115
arkline
Glorified AV Boy

Oddometer: 201
Specs

Does anyone have a link to a site that has something more than the brochure's specifications? I'd be interested in GVW and how many Watts the alternator is capable of producing. Or do I have to wait for an article in MCN or Cycle World?
arkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #116
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkline
Does anyone have a link to a site that has something more than the brochure's specifications? I'd be interested in GVW and how many Watts the alternator is capable of producing. Or do I have to wait for an article in MCN or Cycle World?
Dig European internet via www.google.co.uk etc.
This subtype of Deauville been out since 2008 and plenty sold, e.g. plenty of info.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #117
PaMtbRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I didn't see this posted yet, but info is on the Honda website
http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx
Old 09-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #118
arkline
Glorified AV Boy

Oddometer: 201
Perhaps someone has a link to the information requested. I've diligently searched using all the keywords that seem reasonable and still can't find much beyond the standard Honda brochure information. GVWR and wattage would seem to be important if you're considering "light touring" on this machine. Since it is a pretty hefty bike given its hp output, I'd really like to know how much weight it would be able to carry along. And wattage is important if you're prone to wear heated gear in the winterish months.
Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Dig European internet via www.google.co.uk etc.
This subtype of Deauville been out since 2008 and plenty sold, e.g. plenty of info.
arkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #119
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Since Honda lists heated grips and power outlets as offical accessories, its a pretty safe bet that its got decent power output. Like wise, I can't see you maxing out a GVW unless you use it to cart lead weights or bowling balls regularly...

You could join some of these UK or other Engrish Uropean web boards and ask there.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #120
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Like wise, I can't see you maxing out a GVW unless you use it to cart lead weights or bowling balls regularly.
I wouldn't bet on that. Honda is notorious for extremely low GVW ratings that result in ridiculously low allowances for riders and cargo. On a new Goldwing, fill it up with fuel and you have about 400-lbs total for passengers and cargo. Most people ignore the ratings - they have to, otherwise, they couldn't go for a ride with their wife, let alone tour with gear.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote