Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #31
Paulyester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hey guys, I know this is an older thread, but I just got my set of HB upper tank guards from a fellow inmate and I was wondering if anyone has some pictures or instructions on mounting them. Do you need to remove the tank to get them on?

Thanks
Paulyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #32
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyester
Hey guys, I know this is an older thread, but I just got my set of HB upper tank guards from a fellow inmate and I was wondering if anyone has some pictures or instructions on mounting them. Do you need to remove the tank to get them on?

Thanks
You're in luck... I had all the installation instructions for the top and the bottom. The only thing is they are in German? Well half of them is and the other half is in english? What can I say... I have tried looking everywhere and the even requested english versions from Touratech in Montreal but no go.
PM me your email and I'll shoot you some pictures. Only have completed pictures though.

I put the engine guards on first then the tank guards. I only removed the plastic side panels that cover the tank to install the tank bars. On page 3 of this thread there is a good explanation of spreading the bars out once installed. This helps to keep them from busting the plastic bits if you drop your bike and also allows you to get the side panels off on the road and change the air filter with out a major pain in the ass.

Some good advice is locktite ( Blue) and don't tighten anything up until you have it pieced all together with 3-4 threads of each bolt started.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #33
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleDiver
Here is my HB tank guard mod:

Made both sides nice and loose, ran a couple of ratchet straps around the pillars and GENTLY pulled them apart. I also used a rubber mallet to help them along when they wanted to bind from time to time. They were not even before or after this but I was careful to keep them even (pressure wise) to avoid putting stress on the front subframe. The left side has a tad more clearance but not enough to notice. Now I can get both side panels off no problemo.

BTW - the bolts for the clamps on these SUCK. Remember the Vario case mounts that came on your bike that you took off? You know those nice, big Torx bolts that clamp them to the rear frame? Well, those are a perfect replacement for this. You didn't throw those out, did you??
Well, H&B haven't changed their design. I'm thinking about "stretching" my tank guards like you did. Where you able to pull the guards apart enough and then un-do your ratchet straps before tightening things down or did you have to tighten things down while under stress?

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #34
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514
Well, H&B haven't changed their design. I'm thinking about "stretching" my tank guards like you did. Where you able to pull the guards apart enough and then un-do your ratchet straps before tightening things down or did you have to tighten things down while under stress?

Pete
Hey Pete,

This is the exact way I did mine as well...I left the ratchet straps under load and tightened everything back up. I gained about an inch on both sides, or aprox the distance of the bracket.

Cheers mike.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #35
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Mike
Hey Pete,

This is the exact way I did mine as well...I left the ratchet straps under load and tightened everything back up. I gained about an inch on both sides, or aprox the distance of the bracket.

Cheers mike.
Thanks Mike!

Pete
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #36
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514
Thanks Mike!

Pete
I take my tank off each year and clean up and check everything under it. I just slide and old t shirt or towel over the tank guard to protect the side panel as I slide it back tward the seat to get it out.

No worries mate...good luck

Mike
Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #37
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

H&B Tank Guards

The H&B Tank Guard install was an adventure in and of itself. I just wanted to say thanks to the folks who gave me some ideas on how to go about this . I put up some pics hoping they might help others who want to do this.
This is a great site and I really appreciate all the help/suggestions!!

The above pic shows how much room I gained. If you do this, just take you time and make sure you apply equal tension to both sides.

I put some tape on after I tightened things down and relieved tension. I was just trying to make sure things didn't move. Don't forget to use Loctite. I now have plenty of room to take my side covers off if need be.

These H&B crash bars and tank guards look pretty stout. I think I'm going to like them.

Pete
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #38
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
guys i went through the thread and have a few questions

a) am I going to be able to install the tank guards without modifying the bars? Is widening required for installation or only if you need clearance for the valves. I can probably live with having to remove the bars to access the valves but dont want to attempt widening the bars

b) do you think they might work with BMW engine crash guards?

for references, the guards will be for an 05 GS which already has the BMW crash bars.
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #39
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
guys i went through the thread and have a few questions

a) am I going to be able to install the tank guards without modifying the bars? Is widening required for installation or only if you need clearance for the valves. I can probably live with having to remove the bars to access the valves but dont want to attempt widening the bars
Widening is to allow side panels to be removed,without having to remove
the tankguards.

b) do you think they might work with BMW engine crash guards?
HB and BMW bars are different diameters and different shape,there
are upper bars(Wunderlich?)that mount to the BMW lowers

for references, the guards will be for an 05 GS which already has the BMW crash bars.
JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #40
Ozadventurerider
Ron The Obvious!

Oddometer: 26
Strecthing Hepco Gaurds? English Fitting Sheets?

Hey Guys

I found this thread when replying to help request from the USA!
I am the Australian importer for HB!

I don't normally answer under my rider name as I have not registered as a vendor on ADV (yet so dont flame me) ... But ... Stretching? Seriouseley this looks like the Spanish Inquesiton! .... "Nobody forgets the Spanish ..." Sorry that's a Monty Python thing actually!

We have two tank guard PNs, up to 07 & 08 onward, the later model is 20mm wider across the tank due to changed panels (trust me I know this as I found it out first before USA before Germany!)

Hope I am on the right wavelength here but up to 07 the PN is 502922 & onward (wider) is 502926 OK (forget the rack) unless ....,

1) If you are widening our tank guard to fit accessory side tanks
(aka TouraTech but FYI they are actually made in AUS by Safari Tanks) Then well a cut & shut is needed. This has been covered before in a previous thread.

2) However you can fit our tank guard to OEM BMW bars
FYI - Our engine bars step back to maintain the same clearance off the heads left or right unlike TT or BMW which are straight so all it needs is a simple adaptor plate. Its a simple mod, if you wont more I will post it ,,,, but 'No Warranty"

Cheers RTO
Ozadventurerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #41
Ozadventurerider
Ron The Obvious!

Oddometer: 26
Strecthing Hepco Gaurds? English Fitting Sheets?

Sorry an update!

Oh Yes We in AUS supply Hepco-Becker fittings translations on request when required! But that engine guard is an unchanged 2004 item (still fits same same in 2011) & fitting info back then was a German job only.

Since 2007 HB provide both German & English on the supplied sheets
(but only for new items)! So please don't forget they are a German company first.

It is up to regional importers like us to assist the local market which we
(in AUS at least) certainly do!

Cheers RTO
Ozadventurerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #42
dlbushey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
When I picked up my '07 last year, it already had HB Tank Guards installed. And while I love the look, I don't like the fact that you can't get the side covers off easily while on the road. My solution was to cut the bars and weld in an extension increasing the clearance by 2 inches on each side.

Tools required to do the job:

Since my welding skills really kinda suck, I had to find a paint that would cover the crappy welds. Rhino Lining works great. I actually found some to match the bike. Here's the finished product installed.

His: '07 R1200GSA,'01 R1150RT
Hers: '93 K1100LT, '03 F650CS

dlbushey screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 11:44 AM
dlbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #43
Icarus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
The H&B Tank Guard install was an adventure in and of itself. I just wanted to say thanks to the folks who gave me some ideas on how to go about this . I put up some pics hoping they might help others who want to do this.
This is a great site and I really appreciate all the help/suggestions!!

The above pic shows how much room I gained. If you do this, just take you time and make sure you apply equal tension to both sides.

I put some tape on after I tightened things down and relieved tension. I was just trying to make sure things didn't move. Don't forget to use Loctite. I now have plenty of room to take my side covers off if need be.

These H&B crash bars and tank guards look pretty stout. I think I'm going to like them.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Did you leave it tied like that several hours before pulling it all the way out. I've been doing mine today but after 3 hours it has not reached the desired position on the right side and I am a little worried of pulling it too hard too soon. I'm thinking of leaving it as it is overnight and giving it a "go" in the morning.

thanks.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #44
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
They DEFINATELY have to revise the design. If I knew then what I know now, I would NEVER have bought them.
Well, as I post this on 01/23/12, the design is still fer $hit.

I have been asked to install a set and I am running into the same issue you, and others have experienced; no clearance for side panel removal. Trying to (mechanically) spring them out with the tools I have just ain't working. Oxy/acet. stuff I have, and am very close to calling the customer and telling him that this is the only way to get them to align correctly without the possibility of one side coming out more than the other during the spreading process. Of course, this will mess up the paint but not sure I have any recourse at this point to get the job done and racking up a bunch of useless time.

I detest bolt-on accessories. In all the years I have been screwing with bikes, I have never had a bolt-on do just that, easily bolt on. Hate it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Anyone notice a big difference with the tank guards when the bike is on its side??
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote