Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Can anyone help the new guy? Worst case you will get a good laugh and my expense :)

Ok so let me start off by saying I'm very excited and disappointed all in the same time.
Im an experienced enduro rider 25+ years living in Colorado and i have wanted a trials bike for a long time. Bikes in Colorado are extremely hard to come by. The other day i was looking on craigslist for a used bike as i always am. I have been looking for the last year. Other then the occasional 10 + year old gas gas nothing ever comes up until..............
Bang!
A 2011 Sherco cabestany replica shows up locally.
So i call the guy and go to look at it.

Here is the funny part. Although i have always wanted to get into trials i have never even ridden a trials bike and know nothing about them mechanically. I do however have some skills with enduro bikes. I know looking at this thing i was getting to excited just to see a bike locally and i was taking a huge gamble because as i said above i know very little about them. I let my excitement get the best of me and threw the thing in the back of my truck and bam! i now own a trials bike.....

I don't even exactly know what i bought. pretty sad hu?
He had the tittle for it and its a 2011 Cabestany replica and says stz300 on the radiator.
The bike looks as if its barley been ridden.

So i took a huge gamble on it. If i turn out to hate it, its parked next to my 2015 ktm 300 so its not my only bike.

So i fire it up and it starts first kick and purrrs like a kitten. Seems to run great
The guy that i bought it from tells me not to put it in gear until it warms up because the clutch will not fully disengage. I thought this was very odd. I tried it and of course he was right and the clutch drag is so bad for the first 15 minutes of riding you can hardly control it.

Again in my stupidity i bought it anyway knowing this. I figured should be no big deal. Ill work on it.

So i get it home and the first thing i do is pull the clutch apart.
I noticed he has some 85 wt extremely heavy sticky gear oil in it, and it is also over full by 2 times the amount of oil it should have in it. Pull the clutch out and everything looks greats. Very little wear on the friction plates, no wear on the steels.
Pack it all up, replace the oil with some nice lite motorX 40wt that i run in my ktm and put it back together, happy that the clutch looks fine. Must be a simple hydraulic issue.
So i start bleeding the clutch. I bled the clutch last night for an hour or more. Still can't get rid of the clutch drag. When the bike warms up it is better. It also seems that if you pump the clutch a bunch of times it works a little better.

If you have the bike not running, put it in gear, pull the clutch in, you can definitely not roll forward. You can sometimes roll back if you try hard enough. I have read other reports of things like this online. What can i do about this?
I feel a bit stupid for buying it sight on seen like that. I would NEVER normally do that but i let my excitement get to me and the fact that trials bikes of this age never come around here.

Can you guys help the stupid rookie?

Is this thing basically a 2.9 with a 300CC cylinder?
How and where do i get parts? Should i replace the clutch?
I noticed while looking for parts a 300 in my year is rarely listed anywhere. I found one place that says that 2.9 parts work on it unless you need cylinder or piston parts then you need the 300 stuff.
What exactly did i just get myself into :)

Try not to make to much fun of the new guy. Any help would be appreciated. Im anxious to put some real time on this and see if i can hang with you open face helmet folks :)

automagp68 screwed with this post 06-14-2015 at 03:46 PM
automagp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
First thing you might try is to drain the gear oil and fill with some elcheapo ATF to clean and flush the tranny and clutch. Do that twice with maybe a 20 to 30 minute ride on each fill. That should clean things out. Then fill with proper amount and type of oil. ATF for quicker action or a 10-30 or so oil for a more progressive clutch feel. Should make a good difference. If not then check for flat clutch plates, and/or clutch bleed. Have fun on your new toy!
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,712
Sounds like the previous owner didn't know what he was doing either. The above is good advise. Too heavy oil and too much = lots of drag. I run plain ole ATF, but other have their favorites.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Hyperbolic22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I run ATF and love my clutch.

Maybe contact RYPUSA.com and see what they advise.
Hyperbolic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

talked to a local sherco importer today in colorado.

He is telling me that i need to run the recommended sherco 75wt stuff not atf
he says that is what is causing my problem.
i guess will see
Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbolic22 View Post
I run ATF and love my clutch.

Maybe contact RYPUSA.com and see what they advise.

What si your exact bike out of curiosity?
Old 06-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
First thing you might try is to drain the gear oil and fill with some elcheapo ATF to clean and flush the tranny and clutch. Do that twice with maybe a 20 to 30 minute ride on each fill. That should clean things out. Then fill with proper amount and type of oil. ATF for quicker action or a 10-30 or so oil for a more progressive clutch feel. Should make a good difference. If not then check for flat clutch plates, and/or clutch bleed. Have fun on your new toy!
Hi thanks for the ideas
Did you see above that i drained the crap he had in it and replaced it with a 40wt motorX

Im not looking for quicker action. Im looking for a smooth action so i put a 40 in which is not far from your idea of 30. This made zero improvement to the situation. I did ride it for about 30 minutes today. The clutch started to get better but only when it was very hot from me riding slowly for a while
Old 06-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
1fxstbi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
You got a nice bike!

I recently bought a '13 Sherco for my wife and the original owner always had problems with clutch drag; he ran Maxima gear oil. I drained it and put cheap Dextron ATF and all the drag is gone. The bike can set for days and goes into gear without a lurch and the clutch feel is good.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fxstbi View Post
You got a nice bike!

I recently bought a '13 Sherco for my wife and the original owner always had problems with clutch drag; he ran Maxima gear oil. I drained it and put cheap Dextron ATF and all the drag is gone. The bike can set for days and goes into gear without a lurch and the clutch feel is good.
thanks!
it is super clean which is why i bought it
i might gee the aft a try. the local sherco guy is telling me i need to use the maxima to get it to stop lurching
hmmmmm
Old 06-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
jonnyc21
Trials Ninja

Oddometer: 1,136
between everyone that has tried it and Motobene's experience I am going to get som of the stuff in this thread for my wife's Gas Gas. Might be worth a look.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1069176
Old 06-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
1fxstbi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagp68 View Post
thanks!
it is super clean which is why i bought it
i might gee the aft a try. the local sherco guy is telling me i need to use the maxima to get it to stop lurching
hmmmmm
Get a quart and give it s try. You can always dump it and put Maxima back in with no adverse effects. I run the chest stuff from Wally World and change it offen.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,226
You are heading in the right direction for the clutch. If you want to learn to ride trials, remove the bar risers.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

Well just for kicks this afternoon and because i could not get the maxima stuff that Sherco recommends until tomorrow i stuck 450CC of ATF in there on the recommendations of a few Sherco owners.

WOW! What a difference
The clutch is 80% better then before. I would say its almost to smooth! I can see that if you progress to needing to dump the clutch hard to jump up large steps in this sport you would want a harder clutch hit then what I'm getting with the ATF now but for me this is perfect. it engages much much smoother now and has much less drag. Its nice and smooth and should teach me proper clutch control and help improve my balance since it won't be jerking all over the place now!

In all my enduro bikes i can put almost anything in them and they seem to behave the same way. Who woulda thought that these bikes were this sensitive to gear oil?

Very happy now! Managed to work out a few 3rd gear wheelies and some basic lock turns. Got a nice burn on my leg from the pipe. That will teach me to ride in the front yard with out proper gear on. I see some trials boots in my future.

Tomrrow i will warm it up, dump that ATF and load it with fresh ATF again. I figure the stuff in there now is basically just getting rid of left over MotorX stuff and cleaning the gears up. So ill dump it tomorrow refill with ATF and then get after it!

Thanks for all the info guys and helping the rookie a bit
Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
automagp68 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
You are heading in the right direction for the clutch. If you want to learn to ride trials, remove the bar risers.
The risers were on it when i bought it of course. Im only 5,7 so i could stand to take them off. Why do you recommend getting rid of them just out of curiosity? Will it help my body position be more correct?

Also it has a full done up Ohlins suspension i guess. The original owner gave me all the stock stuff with it. Need to find out how to get a proper spring on there for my weight. Im a little hefty at 220 so its probably not correct for me at moment

Thanks for the input
Old 06-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #15
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagp68 View Post
Why do you recommend getting rid of them just out of curiosity? Will it help my body position be more correct?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=risers
10K is offline   Reply With Quote