Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 AM   #1
mattadv93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
250 or 290 what's best for a bigger guy.

So I'm around 265 lbs and 6"3' and I've been looking at purchasing a trials bike for awhile now and have only been looking at 290 to 300 trials bike because of my size. But lately I've been seeing a few nice looking 250cc bikes come up for sale. Would a 250 be able to handle my size okay? This would be my first trilas bike so maybe a 250 would be better to start with? Opinions or personal experience would be appreciated.
Cheers
Matt

-Husaberg FE570
mattadv93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer: 451
You are a big lad, the 290 will have a little more grunt low down. This should help a little the 290 will be a shade better on fuel too if that matters.
I had a 290 sherco it was economical compared to my curent rev 3 250. I think you will get by with a 250 but there will be 290s out there don't be in a rush, wait and one will show up.
MATTY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,517
My opinion: You could get by with either, because especially at first, engine size does not matter much. A 250 has enough power to get the job done. One of the big mental transitions of trials from other venues is learning to get away from lots of throttle and clutch, and rather, use much more body in proportion. In that way less power can be a benefit.
motobene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
My opinion: You could get by with either, because especially at first, engine size does not matter much. A 250 has enough power to get the job done. One of the big mental transitions of trials from other venues is learning to get away from lots of throttle and clutch, and rather, use much more body in proportion. In that way less power can be a benefit.
wow, get ready for all rest of the ADV group to type that you should start on an 80cc or 125.

"trials wont need much more power than a 50cc trial 70, if you live in flat ground like KANSAS, until you grow past the beginner classes, that we have 5 years old kids riding electric bikes, and ty80..." yet weigh less than 50lbs...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
I'm 6'2" and weigh 185. I ride a 250 and any problems I have are not due to lack of power.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
wow, get ready for all rest of the ADV group to type that you should start on an 80cc or 125.

"trials wont need much more power than a 50cc trial 70, if you live in flat ground like KANSAS, until you grow past the beginner classes, that we have 5 years old kids riding electric bikes, and ty80..." yet weigh less than 50lbs...
I meant 250 to 300 doesn't matter much for someone who weighs 120kg.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Boom Boom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Check to see if you can get aftermarket springs for what you are looking at. Here in the states the Beta importer offers higher spring rates for us tipping the scales on the upper end. IMHO that should be a higher priority than the engine size but bigger sure won't hurt. You can always calm it with a slower throttle tube, flywheel weight and other calming tricks mentioned here.
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
jonnyc21
Trials Ninja

Oddometer: 1,021
On the end of the 250 to 300 I wouldn't shy away from a 250 even at your size, however I would think that Boom Boom may have it on the springs.

For what its worth...

Before I got my 250 my wife got the first trials bike in the family, a Gas Gas TXT Pro 125, that was much smaller than I thought would work for my size, 180 lbs at the time, and wanted to start learning so of course rode it.

After riding it for about a month with some great friends/mentors I went to my first event and got 1st place in novice. Even today with her 125 I can ride intermediate to advanced obstacles with only a little more throttle and clutch.

So a 250 could be a great first bike and maybe like me it could teach you a more about using the clutch, body, throttle, etc. correctly. (The 125 sure did for me) But even a 300 would work fine.

Best of luck and hope to see you on the dark side soon!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post

Hey Sting, ask about how heavy the rider is that finished the Texas National on a TY80.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
hazza
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have a 250 Beta and am about your height and weight the 250 has never held me back, just may require a bit more thought on gear selections in some situations but can also be more forgiving in others,
hazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:48 AM   #11
mattadv93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Thanks guys. Think I might stick with looking for a 290. Im in no rush to buy as I've been out from riding since October with a ruptured acl, so plenty off time to look.

-Husaberg FE570
mattadv93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #12
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadv93 View Post
Thanks guys. Think I might stick with looking for a 290. Im in no rush to buy as I've been out from riding since October with a ruptured acl, so plenty off time to look.
Realistically that is your best option, you are a big bloke and the 290 won't do any harm in your case, and it will be better on fuel remember.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 AM   #13
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY View Post
Realistically that is your best option, you are a big bloke and the 290 won't do any harm in your case, and it will be better on fuel remember.
FYI a "290" is 272cc, 24cc bigger than a "250."
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #14
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
FYI a "290" is 272cc, 24cc bigger than a "250."
And not only is the 290 24cc bigger, it weighs exactly the same.
It has only good to offer the bigger guy, there is no downside in his case.
Plus it is better on fuel.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Hey Sting, ask about how heavy the rider is that finished the Texas National on a TY80.
Egregiously, My name is brought up by lineaway... I would ask who it was, what class does he ride when his is NOT on the 80? and I think I will be trying this in the future, when the "wings' ty80" is completed...

The guys competing on the TY80, are decent riders on the "correct size" bikes...

SO back to topic at hand.

3 things that seem to get hashed about bike size. you can read at infinitum pros and cons of engine sizes, most were set by a "king" in england back, way back when on how much to tax people, and limit size bikes the "children" can play with... in the USA this is not the same story. I can buy my 10 year old the same damn bike I ride, or a PW-50 with those 8 inch tires.

1. Trials riders really are guys normally that can ride the piss out of ANY bike, Hell I win slow races in a FLHTSC harley against some "average" street bike riders on honda 750 no saddlebags or fairings...

2. Ability of the riders, I have let a guy get on my bike, that I assumed was a "decent" rider, from cruising on street bikes, was all I knew about it. IT was PAINFULLY obvious, after 3 seconds on my trials bike, he shouldn't have been allowed to ride my god damn big wheel (kids toy)...

3. "No Power" low CC models are safer and better for newbs. well that is like saying you are getting into snow skiing for the first time, but lets you cannot RENT/lease/borrow the equipment! Now do you buy the tiny short skis, to learn on, or do you buy the skis that are your size and learn to operate those in the manner of a few hours practicing?

3a. all the bikes produced in 2014 and newer, are far different than the ones produced in 74, which were more or less adapted from plain old ENDURO models already produced. 125's can produce enough to take a 250 lb guy half way up the hill, completely on RPM and torque alone, that my 300 will, all "skills" being equal.

the NO torque 125, will maybe seem less likely to rip out of your hands, at "idle to 1/3 RPM/throttle" but once that threshold is MET, they will all run away from anyone.

I like to ride my 300, which does EVERYTHING my 125/225 gasgas can do, but I do it without 4000+ RPM clutch dumps, I twist the throttle and ride.

YOUR abilities are definitely going to give you better or worse results, practice will OVERCOME either decision, now power/torque engine on a bike that is essentially the same in all other weights and measures.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote