ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Strip Ride

Have you got room for an 650r rider from Idaho ? Can you give us an idea of the rides you are planning ?
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
Corky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Talking

Would you post location of Mission control when you figure it out??
Thanks,
Corky
AMA # 199311 Charter Life Member
"Keep The Rubberside Down"
Corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 439
No Can Do

Well I just got back from 8 days in So. Utardia. Wont be able to swing more time off for awhile. Have fun!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung
Have you got room for an 650r rider from Idaho ? Can you give us an idea of the rides you are planning ?
Love to have you if you can figure out the logistics of getting there. I have no truck/trailer and having to beg, borrow, and posibly steal my way down there. If anyone has extra pickup bed or trailer space, please speak up. If we all work together it'll be cheaper and more fun for us all.

The only ride I have "planned" is from base camp (probably set up near where River Road crosses the Utah/Arizona border south of St. George), up and over Mount Trubull, on to Tuweep (and look over the edge of the Grand Canyon) and back again. Those that want to join for that will enjoy a nice ride on a good dirt road that will run from dessert, up into piney mountain, and back down again. It's also a good way to eyeball what all is out there and decide what else folks would like to see and do.

I expect we'll have enough guys and enough variety of bikes and riding styles that we will break off into smaller groups and enjoy some variety. I know I have no desire to fight my beast up and down a sandy wash, but some folks on smaller bikes probably have little interest in staying on graded roads. We can figure that out when we get there.

So, who is going down when? Would one of the locals like to get out there earlier and somehow establish our meeting spot? Unless I can find someone leaving earlier to get down there, I probably will not be there until late Friday night. Ultimately, I'd like to try and establish a single point for us all to meet at each morning to sort of organize group (don't want anyone riding alone and not coming back) and it'd be nice for us all to sort of check in when we get back and maybe even hang out for dinners together if so desired. I don't want to have to make a complex menu and meal assignments, but it sure is enjoyble to sit around talking about the days discoveries while choking down a half-warm can of beannie weannies and crushed potato chips.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #20
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,680
Hey, I thought youse was joining me......but if pluric made you an offer with that Porsche, I'd understand........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #21
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Hey, I thought youse was joining me......but if pluric made you an offer with that Porsche, I'd understand........
Oh, dude, I am with you. You are he who I spoke of when I said I am "having to beg, borrow, and posibly steal my way down there".

I was meaning that if anyone ELSE had space, it'd be nice to post it here and let folks know in case OTHERS like me (that bought a dual-sport bike because we can't afford a pickup or trailer to move a dirt bike) could use a lift.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #22
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Have fun down there. I cut my teeth to the trails in st george and southern Utah's BLM. 20 years or so. Just think Rhino Rally!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
mung
Studly Adventurer

October ride

I do have a pu truck. I get off of work at 2 so I would be coming through SLC about 6 pm. Have spent considerable time in the area riding but mostly single track . Mung
Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #24
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Sound Off:

Okay, let's start whittling this thing down. Here's who I think is going:

mung
Starskey
Infidel
Corky1
jatylor
dakardad
1Percenter

And I'm not clear on:

Clusby
Ryman

Anyone else? Did I get this right? What's everyones housing plans? Due to a lack of funds, I'll be in a tent but I'm curious who else is camping or getting a hotel or...whatever.

Since we all will be arriving at various times late friday and perhaps even early saturday, I think I'll pick a "meeting" spot out there and post the location and coordinates here so we can all kind of arrange ourselves and meet on Satruday morning. If that's a good time for everybody, perhaps we can take off from there and do the big tour up over the mountain and down to the grand canyon, have lunch there (BYOPBJ) and then come back in time to coordinate and plan the next days worth of riding.

I don't want to over-plan and coordinate here (a bad habit I have, according to my wife) but I don't want us to be all willy-nilly out there getting lost or not maximizing our fun.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #25
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

If somebody has a portable BBQ, I might be able to haul it down......we could do red meat.......steaks.......and I'll bring a full-bodied red of my own blending....this year's Meritage dates back to '05 and has splendid berry and floral tones.......................

BTW, the Meritage blend is cab sav, merlot, cab franc........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #26
1Percenter
Novice

Oddometer: 6
Sorry guys, I have to bail! I'll be working every day for the next 3 weeks.

'07 KLR650
'05 KLR250
'06 TTR125LE
'02 YZ250
1Percenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #27
Corky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Talking

Have you settled on a central meeting/camping location??
Tried to Map Quest, River Road & Az/Utah border.
Unable to find map of location??
How far is the big ride from to camp to Tuweep and back??
thanks,
corky
AMA # 199311 Charter Life Member
"Keep The Rubberside Down"
Corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #28
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky1
Have you settled on a central meeting/camping location??
Tried to Map Quest, River Road & Az/Utah border.
Unable to find map of location??
How far is the big ride from to camp to Tuweep and back??
thanks,
corky

Okay, river road crosses the state line at North 36 Degrees 59.996 Minutes, West 113 Degrees 34.333 Minutes. If we all converge there say about 9 in the morning, we could be at the historic Mount Trumbull school house about 10, over Mount Trumbull (the actual mountain) by 11, and on the edge of the Grand Canyon eating some trail-side lunch about noon. One way, you are looking at about 81 miles. That will be taxing on my little 3.7 gallon tank, but I think shall strap a bit of extra on the back.

I am thinking that on day two I'd like to head straight south and see how close I could get to the big crack in the earth down near Mt. Dellenbaugh. The map shows a road (CR103) in there past a NPS administative site, so it sounds like it might be worth looking at. The only downside is 106 miles one-way. Day one will probably give me a real good indicator of how far I can get on my current fuel capacity. Even with a spare gallon strapped to the rack, a 212 mile round trip may be totally out of the question for my DR650. Just have to see what I learn on day 1.

Unless one of the locals has a better idea. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #29
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
Okay, river road crosses the state line at North 36 Degrees 59.996 Minutes, West 113 Degrees 34.333 Minutes. If we all converge there say about 9 in the morning, we could be at the historic Mount Trumbull school house about 10, over Mount Trumbull (the actual mountain) by 11, and on the edge of the Grand Canyon eating some trail-side lunch about noon. One way, you are looking at about 81 miles. That will be taxing on my little 3.7 gallon tank, but I think shall strap a bit of extra on the back.

I am thinking that on day two I'd like to head straight south and see how close I could get to the big crack in the earth down near Mt. Dellenbaugh. The map shows a road (CR103) in there past a NPS administative site, so it sounds like it might be worth looking at. The only downside is 106 miles one-way. Day one will probably give me a real good indicator of how far I can get on my current fuel capacity. Even with a spare gallon strapped to the rack, a 212 mile round trip may be totally out of the question for my DR650. Just have to see what I learn on day 1.

Unless one of the locals has a better idea. I'm open to suggestions.
I'm in similar circumstances with regards to the fuel for those trips.......are there any larger tankers/bigger bikes that can carry some extra fuel......?

BTW, can you make it to SLC with your bike and gear for the Friday eve drive? Looks like we could have a nice weather patch for these rides......

Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
mung
Studly Adventurer

Gas Range

My xr goes 300 miles plus on a tank so I should have a bit of extra.It looks like a part of the ride will backtrack so why not carry an xtra gallon , go 25 miles and fill up and leave the rest on the side of the road for the way back? Crude but effective.