ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #46
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,730
No helmet cam........but what a blast riding the BRP through that desert.....and tweaking the throttle and roosting the corners......whilst the hawks and occasional rodents lived out their desert lives.......did I ever mention that I growed up in the SW Wyoming desert.........

We crossed Mount Trumbull which I think tops out around 6700 ft.....and has pics on the return.....then drived on down to the Ranger Station which appeared unmanned and who-gives-a-shite......but had a nice outhouse, 3-door garage and house that were all un-photo'd by me.........
I did get the bikes and the flag.......

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #47
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Pics!

Here's camp:

Infidel slept in the trailer, I got the back of the truck and didn't have to set up my tent. Good thing I didn't do that as you will discover later.

Our first significant stop on day one was the historic reconstructed Mount Trumbull schoolhouse. Some Dixie State students were there taking a survey about the traffic through the area (no, I'm not joking):

A nice young lass there offered to take our picuture, so we posed in a proper ADV rider salute. Infidel kept looking at his finger and mine and whispering something about "mine is bigger than yours" but I'm not sure what all of THAT was about:

Then onward, up and over Mount Trumbull (oh the pines smelled nice) and back down to Tuweep. We stopped at the info center, snapped some shots, then continued on to Toroweep Overlook.

Here is Toroweep overlook where we stopped for lunch. As you can see, it's a long/sheer drop off to the river below. No guard rail, no cement walking path:

It's not the grandest chunk of the Grand Canyon, but standing at the edge sure gave me vertigo:

Infidel is hiding in tha back here munching on boiled eggs, nuts, and jerky:

On the way back, we stopped at a little pull-off to overlook what used to be the town of Mount Trumbull. This is where Infidel discovered that his license plate had gone A.W.O.L.

The next day we rode first to the Bar 10 Ranch. The road there had lots of silty pockets that made a great mess and well obscured the vision. I hated them at first, but later, grew to enjoy the challenege of riding through them. Here's the air strip there, or as the sign says, "Whitmore International Airport, North Concourse, Gate A"

A moment later, some guy driving in a cowboy hat driving a van load of (I presume, tourists) came by to see if we were lost, then invited us to "come on by the lodge" if we wanted to. Ironically, though we didn't see it, that plane was gone when we came back by a few hours later. We rode down a narrow, windy, rocky, washed-out road to Whitmore Canyon Overlook. This was neat because rather being on top of the canyon, you are well down to the middle of it all. The river was still a long ways down, but the canyon walls also towered above us. This is the view to the East:

And this is the view to the west:

There was a tiny foot path that actually descended down to the waters edge. I wasn't in the mood to hike it in m/c boots:

Here's Infidel with his boiled eggs, jerky, and nuts.....again:

A really awesome place:

After a long haul back to camp, I was snapping pictures of my bike as the sun went down. A few of them I really liked:

The next day we were visited by the Arizona Game and Fish. I am sure Infidel will give a wonderful recount of the event, so I will spare you my telling and save it for him.

After going all over the place to find MVD and get Infidel a plate, we went to the Little Black Rock Mountain petryglyph site:

And so, we soon packed up and headed out. Tired, dusty.........slightly broken are our bikes, slighty elevated are our souls.

STARSKEY screwed with this post 10-27-2009 at 06:31 PM
STARSKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #48
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Please notice that in the aforementioned photo of bikes and flag, you can still see the outline of my Utard license plate......there will be a test later in the RR about that pesky pwate........

But I digress in my ADHD addled mind and need to collectivize mine thoughts to show you that we did indeed park the bikes at the lone pickanick table.......

and sauntered over to the edge of the Grand Canyon or GASH as some twatmonster has earlier tagged her.......um, or it........

So I leaned over to get some photos of this wonder and wondered why there ain't any damned safety rails............and then the Starskey informs me that there's only been 3 folks launched and demised from this particular spot.......that's what you get for signing the registry.......all types of useless and scary infomation....

long ways down.........not the movie.........but vertiginous........no Utards....there was no virgins.......but plenty of vertigo........

Oh, sure, now you show up..........I was justa gettin' rollin'...........and you're already back to Mount Trumbull...........WTF.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #49
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Goood thing Starskey has arrived on-site to explain about my long, fat, satisfying fingers........

But again, there is digression occurring........and as another report has noted.....what seems to be a great day to ride the motocicles can also be thought to be a great day to float ona riva........

Hi you munchkins in the little blue boat............

I did feel like falling over the edge to get that last telephoto shot.......
Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #50
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Neener, neener, neeener..........I didn't take nearly enough pics of this magic land and ride but I did take a few more than Starskey........I'm sure both of us neeeeeeedddddd to go back for lot's more............

So here's the ride out of Toroweap Overlook......

and my final photo of Saturday........the view down to the intersection where the schoolhouse sits...........

And now I'ma goin to git my glass'o'wine and hope for Starskey to keep a postin.........
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #51
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

okeydokey...........day 2 kinda looks like day 1..........'ceptin' it's a good 10 degrees fahrenheit colder and Starskey didn't bring his winter bag........so's we waited for the sun to touch us in the morning...............another old song reference..........

Then we was off and runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load.....din't have no troubles on my mind........

Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #52
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

When we passed the schoolhouse, there was some Nevada folks a pissin' on their truck but they went the other way to Toroweap and we had a new destination........Whitmore Canyon.........when we got to the first overlook, I kinda got a woody.......a good sign at my age..........and the feeling that this was going to be fun......

Well, I'll be hogwallowed and tied to a tree..................but I was likin' what I seeed.....

and down the road I go........a bit of van in the house..........

That's alookin' back BTW.....
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #53
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
How did you end up with loose valves? That seems pretty odd.

Nice pics and the riding looks fun.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #54
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

And that abrought us to the now infamous........Bar 10 Ranch.........whichn' I'm thinkin' is a DUDE ranch of the first caliber........make that a 50 caliber......

I think Starskey is a fuzz............back in the day........and here he fuzzed a bit as well.......

Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #55
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

But we still has miles to go before I sleep..........although I didn't feel any woods that were dark and deep.......but I was enjoying the drop in elevation and the attendant microclimates that we was descending through......

and just like Alice........we kept chasin' that wascally wabbit down the hole......with the mad hatter just a howlin'........and laffin' at our table......

you keep messin' with the queen of hearts and you know you're going to get in trouble......

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #56
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Now and then...........you turn around...........and there you are.........stuck in the middle with you.......and diggin' it baby..........

you feel like it's deja vu.............all over again..........

and you just know that the great spirit has opened up a bit of wisdom for you to appreciate.......

But it's fleeting..........because you can't stay.........

so you sits on yo' ass an smiles...........cause even if's you looks bad.........you feels good.........

an' most times.............dats all youse can aks for...........

Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #57
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Then you realize it's time to go...............and looking up at the ride ahead.......you see where the volcano has puked up that gorge that's next to you.........

and you get a bit of a feeling for your spot on the evolutionary scale, somewhere between a fungus and the power of time and erosions.......

and as your synapses fire in some sequence as you view the transitions of time and space.........

You come up with the excuse: But I just had a license on that bike.........officer.......................

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #58
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

And maybe someday................ah shite..........someday never comes..........

You'll start reading those damned signs that you drove by for 3 consecutive days...

and realize that you're damned lucky that the mule and Karen thought you was an OK Utard and didn't write you up an expensive ticket for being such an .............for parking where you didn't supposed to park and camping there besides..............................thanks..... ..........
Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #59
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

WTF..........there's still some time to ride in and replace the license plate....shoulda taken pics of the DMV which isn't where it used to be......and the gal was very nice and understanding of the monster Infidel in his three-day riding gear full of dust and sweat and my yin-yang head-piece.........but I digress.......cause we got to see petroglyphs..........rock graffiti from gangsta's dead and gone.........and native to the land we just rocked over........

Hope you enjoyed the ride.........and are ready......willing.........and able.......to rock and roll all night............and join us on the next foray into this area......there's still a couple of really far-flung .......... and much less accessible overlooks that I'm Jonesing to look over............

Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #60
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
NICE REPORT!!

Glad we could offer a little comic relief.............come on back now, ya hear?

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote