Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,730
FINNDIAN'S Quest for Agawa Canyon

Day 1 Sat Sept 5

It all started mid week before the Labour day long weekend.
I didn't have any major plans and GPSAdventureTouring was talking about doing a backroads adventure ride by himself as there was noone around him that wanted to ride.
GPS(James) lives about a 4 hour drive north of me in Timmins Ontario and after some discussion we decided to meet about halfway to start our ride in Chapleau and come up with a plan as we ride.
This isn't a major long distance ride but covers some very beautiful, secluded and interesting Canadian backcounty.
I had some work to do on the house so I rushed through it Friday night and Saturday morning and then it was time to ride.

I Loaded some supplies for the camp and dropped them off on the way to meet james in chapleau about 130km's (80 miles) away.

I rode slab also to make time and only broke the speed limit once for a little over an hour.
The highway is under construction and had some nice freshly graded dirt and new pavement, enjoyable for a slab ride.

We were meeting up at fellow ADVer's house Nofate. James road slab down from timmins and beat me there by a few minutes.

After a great visit with Nofate and some Finnish hospitality (lots of food) from Nofate and his wife, we were off.

I'm not big on riding someplace I've riden before. I checked my backroads maps and thought there might be another route to take even though I've already found several backroad routes out of chapleau before. I expected to find a small old road but to our suprise it was a recently upgraded road and a fairly high speed run for the 60 mile (100km) or so run to Missinabie.

After a gas up, we were off again for the 100mile (160km) backroad jaunt to Hawk Junction.
A few miles of smaller connector old bush road and we were on the main dubruil forest products logging road 70kms from dubreuilville. This is very high speed road and you can make time.

James on his way

me too

Next thing you know we were at my cottage having a beer, barbecue and a Sauna.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

Over the evening we discussed the next day's ride. I had heard of a trail that was usede for equipment to access a new powerline that was installed a few years ago that heads south to Sault Ste. Marie. From the looks of where we guessed it would run we realized it may pass near Agawa Canyon which as far as we know is only accessible by train and is somewhat of a tourist attraction.
A plan was made and the quest for Agawa canyon began.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports

FINNDIAN screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 06:52 PM
Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
atta boy Gord! I miss it up there...

hey, is it true once you go black... you never go back?
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

Black is beautifull buddy.
go is for show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
atta boy Gord! I miss it up there...

hey, is it true once you go black... you never go back?
Ride Reports
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

off road route Day 1

purple line is the
GPS track

Ride Reports
Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

Sunday morning we decide to head into town to top up on gas before leaving and top up the caffeine levels with a breakfast stop at Tim Hortons.
We're not really sure how far it is in to where we might end up, if it's possible, or what the terrain will be like.
The good part is we're both up for an adventure and don't mind spending the night if it comes to that.
Over breakfast we come to the conclusion we need to carry more gas so I pick up my Kolpin can and with my neduro tank am carrying about 36 liters.
James didn't bring his aux fuel rig so he picks up a new 2.5 gallon can and is carrying about 35 liters.

We head out planning to turn back at 200kms (120 miles) .
A 35km run up Hwy 101 north of Wawa and then up a major logging road.

35-40kms of gravel rd and we arrive where the adventure begins, At Millwood an old railway siding where logging trucks transfered their loads onto trains when we had a logging industry. Here comes a train now (2 a day at most)

As you may have seen on the previous map, It looks like there are towns here and there on the map. In reality there aren't many. Many don't exist any more or are only old railway section houses that were once manned to maintain the railroad and now are either abandonned or used as a remote summer camp.

Here's the town of Millwood

We see a few guys camping that are fishing the river for the long weekend and have a chat with them to see if they can point us in the right direction to find this trail.

this is where our day is decided, whether we can find a passable trail or not.
With some discussion we pick a direction to explore and get across the river.

Looking around a bit we find what looks like it could have been a road in the right direction

A short run through a grown in trail and boom. We're on the powerline and there seems to be a trail that looks rideable. Here anyway.

Let the fun begin.
Ride Reports

FINNDIAN screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 07:40 PM
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
looking good!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,434
Subscribed.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,989
I knew when you tried out TnT's 950 a few years ago, it would lead to nuthin' but trouble!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230

Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

The trail is barely visible running down the powerline due to fairly tall grass and it's hard to tell what lies under the grass in some places but we pick our way along.
I estimate we have close to 20 miles to the canyon and hope it's passable.

Ya I love my bike, especially since I unGO!!!ed it thanks XDBX

it's fairly hilly terrain and we have no shortage of rocks. The canadian shield just keeps on giving.

Some nice views

sexy biatch

the trail sometimes leads us off into the bush to get around large hills or unpassable areas and provide nice varied terrain.

This hill was very steep and had a little mud and wet loose rocks, I though James might have a hard time since he didn't have a knobby on the rear but he proved me wrong.

After a while we see a trail heading off toward the rail line. We go down to check it out and find the 'town' of O'connor an old section house now used as a cottage. Good place for a little break.

I'd be willing to bet there have never been a 950 or 530ktm parked here before.

and whatever else

With a check of the maps and gps We figure we're about half way to the railway siding at Eton close to Agawa canyon

More to come
Ride Reports

FINNDIAN screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 09:04 PM
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
GPSAdventureTouring
A Lifetime of Adventure

Oddometer: 57
Coming along good Gord!

Time to start planning for The 2010 Dirtcheap Tour!

Follow the details on my web site;

Dual Sport Adventure Riders (Timmins ON)
http://gpsadventuretouring.proboards.com/

James

GPS Adventure Touring Administrator

gpsadventuretouring.ca

GPSAdventureTouring@gmail.com

2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure S
2008 KTM EXC 530R
2011 GPSAT RAM
2011 GPSAT LOOK Enclosed Trailer
2004 Four Winds Majestic - RV
GPSAdventureTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

after a short break we continue on up our power line trail.
NOt too far down our trail gets a little larger and looks more like and old road.
Easier going

at this point our trail splits and a larger logging road head off we follow this road as it looks like it will take us closer to the canyon also.

We make it to Eton which has several cottages. We decide to continue past and find smaller trails that branch off the roads in the direction of the canyon.

We took a few very small grown in trails, I didn't take any pics as it was tough going with lose rock hills and little narrow wooden bridges fisherman must have built to access lakes. Exploring in and out of these trails we got within 1.5 miles of the canyon untill we gave up and headed back out to the main road.

We met up with these local cottagers in one of these trails and they informed us that a logging company recently made a new road that would take us out to the transcanada highway 17 at agawa bay.
This was good news, No backtracking.

Its now around 2 pm and as we're about to ride off we ask how far is it out anyway.
the answer, not sure but it takes us 4.5 hours

We backtrack 10 or so kms to where the new road crosses the river and continue on without getting into the canyon.
Looking south from the bridge down toward Agawa canyon.

this road is new, narrow and has drops off of blind corners into broken up jagged rock, very interesting for sure.

The road seems to go on forever, it's fairly new so has no destination or consistent standard mileage signs logging roads normally have.
We make guesses at intersections and try to keep heading in the right direction.

Finally it seems we are getting closer to the highway.

A great sign. The section house of Frater.

and the road just keeps getting better

is that a sasquatch?

Finally hwy 17, 4.5 hours buy truck, 1.5 hours by bike

here comes James

At the Highway overlooking Lake superior
approx 200kms so far today and 100kms from home on the highway.

A quick highway run along lake superior and we're home, with a stop at my favourite restaurant.

and another night of beer, sauna and a swim to wash off the dust.
Ride Reports
Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
FINNDIAN OP
Mine goes to 11

day 2 map

Ride Reports
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote