ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,521
Thoughts on our proposed route?

I posted this over in "The West" also, but it really spans more than one region. Feel free to respond here, or in the Other Thread

I thought I'd throw this out there and see is any locals or travelers have any thoughts to share. We're planning a big trip and experimenting with new software at the same time. I'm having poor luck seeing the maps I post here on ADV when using Internet Explorer, but Chrome seems to be showing them. I'm also not sure if I can link straight to them on Rever, but I'll try, and you can let me know how it works. Here goes:



Segment 1



Segment 2



Segment 3



Segment 4



Segment 5



Segment 6



Segment 7

Sorry if technical difficulties are encountered, but it's being worked on. I wish there was an easy way just to link back to the maps on Rever, but I don't think there is. At least, not if you're not a Rever user.

So, anyone have any thoughts on the route?

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
grub
Requires Supervision
 
grub's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Waiting for a green light on the red line
Oddometer: 2,215
I see you're taking the Burr Trail so I would recommend cutting out a bunch of straight boring highway through Del Norte, Monte Vista, Alamosa, and Antonito on day 5 by turning south on the Park Creek Road at the bottom of the east side of Wolf Creek Pass a few miles west of South Fork and taking it to the Alamosa River then stay south over Stunner Pass into Platoro and out to the highway west of Antonito via Conejos Canyon. You'll hit the highway at a place called Horca right at the bottom of the north side of La Manga Pass. Much more scenic and will probably save you some time on a long day unless you take a lot of pictures. It's all dirt but mostly fast and smooth forest roads. Very much big bike friendly. Looks like a fun trip, enjoy!
__________________
'05 KTM 300 EXC - 1996 BMW R1100GS
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 16,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
So, anyone have any thoughts on the route?
MV
I didn't look at every route in detail, but a couple of suggestions come to mind.

going north out of St. George...instead of riding through the Virgin River Gorge in that corner of AZ... have a look at turning north at Littlefield (just past Mesquite) and taking that road up past Gunlock Reservoir. Backtracking to catch Snow Canyon is probably worth the detour...

On the Burr Trail section, after you've ferried from Bullfrog Marina to the south side at Hall's Crossing, the 276 road goes back to 95.
Instead of taking 95 all the way to Blanding, turn south on 261 towards Mexican Hat - and go down the Moki Dugway.
Near the top is a great scenic view at Muley Point, at the bottom is Valley of the Gods (scenic dirt road) - and take the turnoff to see the Goosenecks before Mexican Hat.

Lots of good roads near Kennedy Meadows too - also consider the "Mighty 190" out of Springerville up to Quaking Aspen, etc.

My favorite in the area is Old Stage south out of Porterville to 155 at Glenville, then over to Wofford Heights at Lake Isabella - then Kern River and up to your Kennedy Meadows/Sherman Pass route.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:38 AM   #4
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
I see you're taking the Burr Trail so I would recommend cutting out a bunch of straight boring highway through Del Norte, Monte Vista, Alamosa, and Antonito on day 5 by turning south on the Park Creek Road at the bottom of the east side of Wolf Creek Pass a few miles west of South Fork and taking it to the Alamosa River then stay south over Stunner Pass into Platoro and out to the highway west of Antonito via Conejos Canyon. You'll hit the highway at a place called Horca right at the bottom of the north side of La Manga Pass. Much more scenic and will probably save you some time on a long day unless you take a lot of pictures. It's all dirt but mostly fast and smooth forest roads. Very much big bike friendly. Looks like a fun trip, enjoy!
Thanks for the info on how to cut through the mountains. I'm going to see how that maps out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I didn't look at every route in detail, but a couple of suggestions come to mind.

going north out of St. George...instead of riding through the Virgin River Gorge in that corner of AZ... have a look at turning north at Littlefield (just past Mesquite) and taking that road up past Gunlock Reservoir. Backtracking to catch Snow Canyon is probably worth the detour...

On the Burr Trail section, after you've ferried from Bullfrog Marina to the south side at Hall's Crossing, the 276 road goes back to 95.
Instead of taking 95 all the way to Blanding, turn south on 261 towards Mexican Hat - and go down the Moki Dugway.
Near the top is a great scenic view at Muley Point, at the bottom is Valley of the Gods (scenic dirt road) - and take the turnoff to see the Goosenecks before Mexican Hat.

Lots of good roads near Kennedy Meadows too - also consider the "Mighty 190" out of Springerville up to Quaking Aspen, etc.

My favorite in the area is Old Stage south out of Porterville to 155 at Glenville, then over to Wofford Heights at Lake Isabella - then Kern River and up to your Kennedy Meadows/Sherman Pass route.
It's funny you mention the alternate way into St George... I think the was the original plan, as we do tend to avoid Interstates, but I've always liked the Virgin River Gorge section of the 15, so I thought I'd see about including it. We thought we'd stop by the side of the Interstate and see what the traffic level/speed/conditions looked like, and decide from there if the Gorge was desirable or not.

Now about this Burr Trail? What part exactly is that? The name doesn't ring a bell, but the word "trail" causes Shesaid some concern, we're not routed through anything more than friendly dirt roads, right?

As for the southern Sierras, that's all local for us, we get to do the 190, M99, 155, and so forth on any given weekend. I think both the 190 and the 155 are selected for this trip, but to be honest, we were not too worried about the local stuff, we can change that all up easily enough.

Thanks for the input. Now to figure out where to do/get an oil change halfway through...

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 2,339
The Burr Trail is mostly paved. There is a very good dirt road leading up to it from Bullfrog. And the eastern part is an easy dirt road up some spectacular switchbacks.

Your routes are not showing up. But from the comments of others this trip and its predecessors may be of interest.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981366
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
The Burr Trail is mostly paved. There is a very good dirt road leading up to it from Bullfrog. And the eastern part is an easy dirt road up some spectacular switchbacks.

Your routes are not showing up. But from the comments of others this trip and its predecessors may be of interest.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981366
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the maps are not seeming to like Internet Explorer. If you have another browser, like Chrome, that seems to be working. Rever itself works fine on IE, it's just displaying things in frames on here that seems to glitch.

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 16,667
Google "waterpocket fold"

From Boulder it's paved for a long way thru Long Canyon



.... and turns to a graded dirt road.
Between that and UT12's twisty goodness - it makes for a must-see part of a trip through Utah.





from the bottom looking up, you can see the switchbacks if you look carefully

__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,521
Quick question, does anyone know if we will need to provide our own tiedown straps for the ferry between Hall's Crossing and Bullfrog? Do they have them, or do we just stay with the bikes for the entire 25 min trip?

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 16,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Quick question, does anyone know if we will need to provide our own tiedown straps for the ferry between Hall's Crossing and Bullfrog? Do they have them, or do we just stay with the bikes for the entire 25 min trip?

MV

it's not like a ferry ride from Port Angeles to Vancouver Island
it's a small open deck ferry, and a pretty smooth water crossing. Probably won't need tie downs, and you'll likely be standing by or on your bike the whole way.

After I suggested the Sierra routes I realized that was your start point and those were probably your weekend regulars...

I'm a CA native myself and go back at least once a year to ride.
I lived in Vegas for almost a decade and got to know southern Utah pretty well too.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
picard
engage!
 
picard's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,378
It's been a while but there is a nice lonesome road across the sierra called Sherman Pass, spits you out on CA 190 (??) really nice ride then go into Sequoia. Maybe Blake can help correct the errors :-)
__________________
"Rumors of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated." (Capt. Picard)
picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard View Post
It's been a while but there is a nice lonesome road across the sierra called Sherman Pass, spits you out on CA 190 (??) really nice ride then go into Sequoia. Maybe Blake can help correct the errors :-)
It's our way across on day one!

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer
 
ktmklx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Quick question, does anyone know if we will need to provide our own tiedown straps for the ferry between Hall's Crossing and Bullfrog? Do they have them, or do we just stay with the bikes for the entire 25 min trip?

MV
Here are our bikes on the deck just a week ago. We crossed at 8:00 in the morning. The water was very calm and the bikes just sat on the kick stands while we stood at bow. You can see the how the water is smooth as glass. It is not always like that though. The night before we talked to fisherman that were chased off the lake by whitecaps earlier that day.





You can see a rail in the background that could be used as a tie down point if needed. We were lucky and didn't need it.

The steel deck was wet and slippery, made me wonder what we would have done if the water was rough.
ktmklx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
Here are our bikes on the deck just a week ago. We crossed at 8:00 in the morning. The water was very calm and the bikes just sat on the kick stands while we stood at bow. You can see the how the water is smooth as glass. It is not always like that though. The night before we talked to fisherman that were chased off the lake by whitecaps earlier that day.





You can see a rail in the background that could be used as a tie down point if needed. We were lucky and didn't need it.

The steel deck was wet and slippery, made me wonder what we would have done if the water was rough.
Thanks, that is great info! I think we'll be able to either wander with the bikes on stands if it is calm, or stay with the bikes if needed. I don't think we need to take straps on a tour of the southwest.

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #14
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Shesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 175
So where's a good place to get a kickstand shortened along our route? You know-- in case Hesaid gets tired of helping me pick up my bike because we didn't get it done in time for the trip?
__________________
Hesaid/Shesaid's Daytripping Thread to Fortune and Glory
The ongoing thread of hundreds of boring rides...ok, not "hundreds" but give it time, we're working on it!
...and of course I have a blog, doesn't everybody?
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
gbmaz
Power Newb
 
gbmaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Oddometer: 436
I will limit my comments to the areas I have a decent amount of personal knowledge of - the Four Corners Area, Southern CO and New Mexico.

The route looks solid and while some of the days seem long for a DR (that is what I ride as well) it should be doable. You might want to consider having some alternate routes for a few of the days that would shave off some miles if you need a break or have a mechanical/weather issue. I will try put together some alternate suggestions. The whole area is beautiful, so almost any route will be fun.

I know from her trip report that Shesaid is a geology geek so I will keep that in mind with any suggestions.

Some specific comments:
Day 4
You might consider doubling back to Mexican Hat after Monument Valley and then doing east through Bluff to Aneth. From Aneth there is a great paved back road through a canyon to Cortez. This would shave off some somewhat boring miles on a road packed with tourist traffic headed out to the Grand Canyon from Durango. I will put together a link with a route.

Day 5
A portion of 112 heading SW from El Vado lake is dirt and can be pretty muddy. This is the section that passes through a corner of the the Jicarilla Apache and is basically unmaintained. Only about 5 miles or so of dirt, but after a recent heavy rain could be ugly.

The section from Cuba to Crownpoint has no gas and no other services. Crownpoint has gas and a grocery store. You mentioned in the other thread for this trip that you might find yourself "guerrilla camping" on this day. That is not really possible between Cuba and and when you hit I-40 west to Gallup since that is almost all Navajo Reservation land and rough country to boot.

I will try to put together an alternate route for you to think about for that day if you need it.

If you are running stock DR tanks you might want to think about carrying some emergency gas for some of the more remote sections of the ride. The combination of higher altitude (4,000-10,000+ ft for the UT, CO, and NM portion) and a possible headwind can really cut into gas mileage. Especially if running bulky side boxes.

Over all it looks like an awesome adventure. I am jealous!
__________________
George Marsden
Los Alamos, NM

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015