ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,563
Moab Trail Closures

Just sent to me-

http://fox13now.com/2015/03/17/possi...sparks-debate/

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
"Conservationists say residents need to understand it’s for their own good."
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Hi

Yep its for your own good that your off road tourism basied economy be shut down...find a nice green job instead......you know like work at that massive new utah NSA data storage facility. ....I mean all that engery intensive govt spying on us citizen is for our good too.

After all we are such helpless little sheep, we have no idea what is good for usl

Fu@@INg arrogant AS@

Ride on

Scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Rogue_Ryder
速 Flat Biller 速

Oddometer: 7,640
I think this is a major fuck up in the reporting:
Quote:
shutting down more than 100 acres of trails
Quote:
Under the Public Lands Initiative, 150 miles of trails inside the county would be restricted to motorized use.
If it's Acres, 100 is nothing, but miles of trails ; that sucks and is a major blow to the OHV community. This also means the traffic that would be on those 150 miles of trails will go somewhere else and increase wear on those trails.

Over the last 20 years the amount of land that the OHV community has lost is astounding (I wish I could find a good reference on the exact number of the 100s of thousands of miles of trail that has been closed to OHV). We're at a point in history where we have the best bikes every but have the least amount of trails we've ever had and we lose more and more every year.

I'm kind of astounded that bike and gear manufacturers don't contribute to lobbying groups to keep stuff open especially companies like KTM whose off-road bike sales make up a huge part of their revenue. Imagine if conservationists started shutting down Ski Resorts up in Summit county, you bet your ass ski gear companies would be donating a ton of money to lobby against the forest service for shutting down the resorts.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,293
This enviro-whacko gibberish should scare you.
No, it does NOT make ANY sense, and yes, it reads as if an inept highschooler wrote it - but that doesn't matter. . . .
What matters is they are winning because they have $$ and lobbying powers that we don't (or aren't effectively using).
Also, support from the current exec admin certainly isn't playing in our favor. . . of course, those contacts are likely a waste of time at this point.

Certainly I'm not the only one who wants to punch Marc Thomas in the mouth?
BTW, the demo's are NOT changing. . .that's a simple lie in hopes of recruiting support from the sheeple out there.

“The best protection against climate change, global warming and so on is to have public lands,” said Moab resident Marc Thomas. “You are seeing a lot of bitterness with old timers because the demographics are changing.”

“I think protecting our snow pack, protecting from more drilling, from more gas production and just protect that watershed, and that source is going to be very critical for the health of this community,” said Kate Anderson.

And contact this guy with lots of support to keep the bad guys from taking our lands:
“. . .led by congressman Rob Bishop, who will make the final decision, most likely by June.”

Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,982
Is this the same issue?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2303339-1...s-on-white-rim

Big difference between closed trails and day use permits for over used or impacted routes.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
modette
Expert

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ryder View Post
I'm kind of astounded that bike and gear manufacturers don't contribute to lobbying groups to keep stuff open especially companies like KTM whose off-road bike sales make up a huge part of their revenue. Imagine if conservationists started shutting down Ski Resorts up in Summit county, you bet your ass ski gear companies would be donating a ton of money to lobby against the forest service for shutting down the resorts.
I agree, in fact that is my dream is to get Manufactures to support groups in a huge way. Where is Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, KTM, Triumph, Can-Am, an Polaris. They all make money selling ATV, UTV,Dirt Bikes or Adventure Bikes even (like Triumph) and where is their support?

You are 100% right, REI and many other huge retailers would be and do shovel money to those groups to keep their stuff open and or try and shut down our stuff.

It's baffles me that trying to get money out of manufactures of OHV's is very hard. It should be apart of their budget that they give X amount because more trails means more riding opportunities that means more products to be sold. Let's say all OHV is banned in 100 years...these companies seem like they will wait till the last minute and then wonder WTF happened.

Dealing with this with RMAR, I can say there are some great companies and they tend to be the smaller guy who try and help many areas through out the country. A company like Honda could pledge $10 million and it would not even affect them. Imagine if all that I listed pledged millions...there would be no problem defending trails across our country.

Most people have no interest in tracks, or racing. They want to trail ride. It's why I also try and get racers out on trails because they can become a voice. Imagine if you had pro's ride more trails, and with their voice they could say look KTM I want you to donate to this cause or that cause and "you people that come watch me donate $5 each".

Really what needs to be done is ASK these large companies "What do you do to support trails and fight to keep them open?" Same can be asked of Pro racers. This doe snot just apply to large manufactures but to all selling goods and services in our communities. I will have to say a big thumbs up to Jeff Slavens...as a small business goes he has given more then most others.

However like most shit, people here will talk but not take a few hours and ask companies. Start bombing their Social Media sites like Facebook with these questions and links to these type of stories and ask "What do you plan to do to help?"
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
modette
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Is this the same issue?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2303339-1...s-on-white-rim

Big difference between closed trails and day use permits for over used or impacted routes.....
Different issue...

And White Rim is not over used considering it's 100 miles long. I have never heard of a traffic jam on White Rim maybe during EJS, but a week out of the year so what.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 775
Does anyone have a good accurate list of companies that are anti-access and/or anti-OHV? That would help us all vote with our dollars. Avoid those places and contribute to groups like Blue Ribbon Coalition, AMA, COHVCO, etc.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
modette
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Does anyone have a good accurate list of companies that are anti-access and/or anti-OHV? That would help us all vote with our dollars. Avoid those places and contribute to groups like Blue Ribbon Coalition, AMA, COHVCO, etc.
That has been tried, truth is the Anti ones are most of the outfitters like REI, Camelbak, and many others but hell I also hike, camp and do other activities so sadly I got to shop at a lot of these places.

Let's say all OHV users did stop maybe that would be enough to discourage them but I doubt it. They make so much on people that don't do OHV activities they don't care.

I know I was hard on motorcycle manufactures but also gear companies like Shoei, Arai, HJC, Fly, Thor, then you have the huge tire manufactures. There is enough large OHV companies that could help a LOT more.

KLIM has given a huge way to RMAR which in turn was able to give in a huge way to RwR...but our huge of raising $10,000 is small compared to what Honda could give.

I rather see us get these companies on board and to the game then worry where I shop. It's like the crazy , don't buy fuel for a day cry to get fuel companies to understand consumers have power. Good in theory but does not and will not work in practice.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
That has been tried, truth is the Anti ones are most of the outfitters like REI, Camelbak, and many others but hell I also hike, camp and do other activities so sadly I got to shop at a lot of these places.

Let's say all OHV users did stop maybe that would be enough to discourage them but I doubt it. They make so much on people that don't do OHV activities they don't care.

I know I was hard on motorcycle manufactures but also gear companies like Shoei, Arai, HJC, Fly, Thor, then you have the huge tire manufactures. There is enough large OHV companies that could help a LOT more.

KLIM has given a huge way to RMAR which in turn was able to give in a huge way to RwR...but our huge of raising $10,000 is small compared to what Honda could give.

I rather see us get these companies on board and to the game then worry where I shop. It's like the crazy , don't buy fuel for a day cry to get fuel companies to understand consumers have power. Good in theory but does not and will not work in practice.
Question still stands. I'm happy to avoid those places.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 3,015
How is the BRC doing at making head-way with legislators? What is a good organization concerned citizens can contribute to that are making a difference with the enviro-wack-jobs?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
modette
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
How is the BRC doing at making head-way with legislators? What is a good organization concerned citizens can contribute to that are making a difference with the enviro-wack-jobs?
Here you go, KLIM partners 5-year deal with COTPA

Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,617
Does anyone have a link to actual information about this? What exactly is being proposed?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Utah largely controlled by people who aren't generally inclined to cater to "environmentalist" requests? Where is this proposal coming from? Who has the power to enforce it? Has the mass exodus from California also infected Utah and it's politics?
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Does anyone have a link to actual information about this? What exactly is being proposed?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Utah largely controlled by people who aren't generally inclined to cater to "environmentalist" requests? Where is this proposal coming from? Who has the power to enforce it? Has the mass exodus from California also infected Utah and it's politics?
http://robbishop.house.gov/uploadedf...iative_faq.pdf

It is actually a compromise to try and stop the madness with land grabs and an all or nothing approach to wilderness designations. The man behind it is definitely not all for wilderness but it seems in the public meetings the advocates for all wilderness are trying to sway things their way. If you google "Public Lands Initiative Utah" you will find a lot of articles and information about what is going on.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote