ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
nwcolorider OP
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,639
A Swell time was had by all.

So Spring Break came along and a trip was in order. Friday the 27th, Ricker, Hondo and myself took off to the Swell. Now we had no aspirations of 5MOH, but we were looking to see some new territory.

Friday Hondo and Ricker got to Rabbit Valley and did a warm-up ride. When I got in about 6, we decided rest was in order, so we sat and told stories. Saturday we got to Temple Mountain, set up camp and then took off on a quick loop of the area close to camp, I needed to sort out the carb on the WR and get back in the groove after not riding since the Meeker RMAR last summer when I broke my thumb pretty good. Our plans were wide open, nothing set in stone, but nothing to technical for the first rides of the year.

We went on the east side of the mountain first,

then down a cool little canyon. Explored the desert out east a bit, then back through the canyon. Looping the north side of the mountain and back down the west side. Being a geology teacher, I took loads of geology pics, grabbed a few rocks and had a ball.

That night for dinner we had some fresh home grown beef steak, beans and bread. With some beer on the side.

Sunday was the big day, we decided on behind the reef to the Hidden Splendor Mine.
The views out there are awesome and it looked like no body had been on the behind the reef trail in a few days.

Lunch on the Creek out of the heat was nice!

Monday. Hondo had to leave. So Ricker and I decided to head west to Tomsich Butte,

Hondu Arch(Hondo's Arch)

up Red Canyon, then up to the Swayze Cabin.

Under I 70, explored up there, then back under 70, and zig zagged back to camp. Took a quick glance at 5MOH and said NO WAY.

Tuesday Ricker had to head back, so I decided to take the DR650 and head north to the crossing of the Muddy, Hanksville and slab back to camp with a quick stop at Goblin Valley.

The Muddy was pretty clear!

I loaded up the bikes and camper and headed back to the east. Wanted to explore the area on the north side of Arches. Found a spot to set up camp, unloaded the WR and had some dinner.

Wednesday morning it was much cooler than the last few days, I ate some breakfast and decided to first check out the old rock house above Dewey Bridge

The rest of the day I just explored, found some old mines, arches and such.

Made my way back to camp about 2 pm. Loaded the WR and broke camp and back to Craig.

Now a little bike maintenance, and maybe some nice after work rides.
nwcolorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,322
Awesome! Looks like you guys had a great time. Good first ride of the year! Wish I could have made it...next time hopefully
D-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,441

Swell ride!

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,104
No flats? No breakdowns? No crashes? No stuck in the mud pics? No pulled over by the cops pics? No huge mound of greasy food at some diner pics?

Sounds like it was pretty much perfect. good ole fashion exploring in the desert!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
nwcolorider OP
NWCOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
No flats? No breakdowns? No crashes? No stuck in the mud pics? No pulled over by the cops pics? No huge mound of greasy food at some diner pics?

Sounds like it was pretty much perfect. good ole fashion exploring in the desert!
I did bend a handguard just a bit, and had to adjust the idle on the WR. It was a great time with great friends.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Looks like a great time, love exploring the Swell!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 4,048
Awesome pictures! Have never been to the swell before but thinking about checking it out this weekend. Where would you recommend camping to have good access to the trails out there? Judging from google maps and your pics I imagine there's not much shade in the area... what was the temperature like?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
nwcolorider OP
NWCOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Awesome pictures! Have never been to the swell before but thinking about checking it out this weekend. Where would you recommend camping to have good access to the trails out there? Judging from google maps and your pics I imagine there's not much shade in the area... what was the temperature like?
Very little shade, there are some spots in the canyon heading to temple Mountain that have shade. We just brought the pop up shade and camped at the big staging area. The second area at 3840'3.13"N and 11041'6.25"W has some shelters. Temp was high 70's, low 80
Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,608
I got up early and headed west with the KLX450R on the back of the Jamboree-

Rabbit Valley with Ricker, day one-

Scuffed up the new green HDB shields during the 1st crash of the season-

Ricker & I met up with Norm and drove to Temple Valley, suited up & rode a close loop-

Made in the shade-

Back in camp........

The fires were great-

Day 3 was a longer and at times a much harder ride, some pretty knarly stuff about mid day.

The views were great-

Out there with Ricker-

It was a great time, wished I had stayed the extra day!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
snowmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
nice, thanks, for the report
snowmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,608
See Norm, I knew this would be a great picture-

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 16,260
beautiful pictures!

I hate when schedules get in the way of rides like this, wish I could have made this one guys
...and now THIS weekend I have four days off
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 4,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
Very little shade, there are some spots in the canyon heading to temple Mountain that have shade. We just brought the pop up shade and camped at the big staging area. The second area at 3840'3.13"N and 11041'6.25"W has some shelters. Temp was high 70's, low 80
Thanks, judging from the pictures and your information it was perfect out there.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
newbreeze
newbreeze

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
So Spring Break came along and a trip was in order. Friday the 27th, Ricker, Hondo and myself took off to the Swell. Now we had no aspirations of 5MOH, but we were looking to see some new territory.

Friday Hondo and Ricker got to Rabbit Valley and did a warm-up ride. When I got in about 6, we decided rest was in order, so we sat and told stories. Saturday we got to Temple Mountain, set up camp and then took off on a quick loop of the area close to camp, I needed to sort out the carb on the WR and get back in the groove after not riding since the Meeker RMAR last summer when I broke my thumb pretty good. Our plans were wide open, nothing set in stone, but nothing to technical for the first rides of the year.

then down a cool little canyon. Explored the desert out east a bit, then back through the canyon. Looping the north side of the mountain and back down the west side. Being a geology teacher, I took loads of geology pics, grabbed a few rocks and had a ball.

That night for dinner we had some fresh home grown beef steak, beans and bread. With some beer on the side.

Sunday was the big day, we decided on behind the reef to the Hidden Splendor Mine.
The views out there are awesome and it looked like no body had been on the behind the reef trail in a few days.

Monday. Hondo had to leave. So Ricker and I decided to head west to Tomsich Butte,

Hondu Arch(Hondo's Arch)

Under I 70, explored up there, then back under 70, and zig zagged back to camp. Took a quick glance at 5MOH and said NO WAY.

Tuesday Ricker had to head back, so I decided to take the DR650 and head north to the crossing of the Muddy, Hanksville and slab back to camp with a quick stop at Goblin Valley.

I loaded up the bikes and camper and headed back to the east. Wanted to explore the area on the north side of Arches. Found a spot to set up camp, unloaded the WR and had some dinner.

Wednesday morning it was much cooler than the last few days, I ate some breakfast and decided to first check out the old rock house above Dewey Bridge

Made my way back to camp about 2 pm. Loaded the WR and broke camp and back to Craig.

Looks like an awesome ride. I got my degree in geophysics. I would have loved exploring those rocks with you and learning something.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
newbreeze
newbreeze

Oddometer: 971
PS. I love the alluvial fan picture with the mine next to it. I don't know if I would have been able to stop myself from exploring that.
Quote:

Hondu Arch(Hondo's Arch)