ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #136
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
My favorite BLM spy told me that as far as she knows, Sheep Creek has not been bladed and that it's only ATV wide right now - meaning it'll be washed out to some degree or other. Will let you know as soon as I hear more.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #137
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
What's up with the fuel in Gateway?
I heard that the owner of Gateway Canyons wanted to move the location of his gas station, since he is building the big, 5 star hotel next to the old gas pumps. He didn't think a gas station next door to a 5 star hotel was appropriate, so he dug up the fuel tanks in order to move them. He asked the county commissioner about a building permit for the new gas station and they were denied the permit to move the gas station in a new location, since they already had a designated spot with the old location. The commissioner isn't budging.

My understanding is that the owner of Gateway Canyons then said, 'Fine... we won't have a gas station after all.' Of course, this is after putting the local gas station out of business. So there is no gas available in Gateway and the status is at a stale mate for now. (Kind of reminds me of a spoiled kid... "I'm going to take my ball and go home!")

All info is 2nd hand of course... take it with a grain of salt. I would love to see the old, local gas station open back up... hope what Uli said was right, the locals want to open up their own gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
My favorite BLM spy told me that as far as she knows, Sheep Creek has not been bladed and that it's only ATV wide right now - meaning it'll be washed out to some degree or other. Will let you know as soon as I hear more.

Sounds like some good riding to me! I'm still planning on it, tomorrow. I will report back either tomorrow night or Sunday.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #138
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Anyone up for a ride this weekend, say Saturday?

I'm thinking about riding from Fruita, thru the CO Monument & Glade Park, Dolores Triangle, down Sheep Creek Rd to Gateway (where there is no gas) and thru the La Sals and onto Moab for lunch. After lunch, buzz back to GJ using parts of the Kokopelli. Will probably be a long day with plenty of riding.

I'd be on my DR650.
Greg, I'm looking forward to doing that loop when I get out there in June, I was hoping to get a chance to do some riding with you then.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #139
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Greg, I'm looking forward to doing that loop when I get out there in June, I was hoping to get a chance to do some riding with you then.
I'll do what I can to make it!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #140
Colorado Uli

Ok, heard back from the BLM. For sure not fixed yet. I think I'll keep my 950 off it untill they do.

Das KTM520
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #141
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, heard back from the BLM. For sure not fixed yet. I think I'll keep my 950 off it untill they do.
Probably a wise decision Uli, it can get ugly without maintenance. I'm planning on taking my GoPro along for the ride tomorrow, so I should return with a video of it's current condition.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #142
Colorado Uli

Way cool, Greg. Thanks!
Have a great time. And come back in one piece.

Das KTM520
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #143
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Just an update on Sheep Creek Road... HiluxCrux and I rode down it on Saturday. It's in pretty decent shape, there actually aren't many washed out spots, like we thought there could be. There has been a lot of ATV traffic, so there's a well worn 2 track trail and there are many loose rocks on the trail, but it's plenty ride-able. We made it down without major incident... right Aaron?

I had my GoPro on me and thought I was recording, but it turns out I wasn't.... I started a new video after the first few switchbacks, but I'm not sure they're worth uploading to YouTube since it's not the 'good' part of Sheep Creek.

We left Fruita at before 9 am, went up into Glade Park NF (since it was new to Aaron) and on to the Dolores Triangle. We maintained a pretty decent pace, got slowed down by a marathon while we were riding down into Castle Valley and finally made it into Moab for lunch at 3 PM!

I will try to work on the videos and upload something worthy of posting... may be a few days though.

Greg@RME screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 09:01 PM
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #144
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
We made it down without major incident... right Aaron?
Yeah it was an awesome ride. Hate to see scuffs on the new wheels, but that's what they are for right!
Was a day of firsts for me no doubt. Certainly needed that frosty when I got home!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #145
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiluxCrux View Post
Yeah it was an awesome ride. Hate to see scuffs on the new wheels, but that's what they are for right!
Was a day of firsts for me no doubt. Certainly needed that frosty when I got home!

You did great, as did the new WRR. I was absolutely drained they day after, guess I need to ride more often & harder!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #146
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Yikes.

Quote:

You did great, as did the new WRR. I was absolutely drained they day after, guess I need to ride more often & harder!
Haha... Maybe more often, NOT HARDER!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #147
Colorado Uli

Thanks guys for the info. Ya really learn to appreciate your break control coming down that hill on a 500 pound bike.
Any pictures or vid will be greatly appreciated. OR, you can go back and do it again.

Das KTM520
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #148
fifty2eighty4life
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thank God.

I am so glad I found this thread! I am getting back into dirt biking but have been riding street since I was 16. Only 6 years total riding though (yes...I'm young.) I would love to get in on some of the group rides that you guys are planning! I'm a recent CMU grad, newly commissioned Marine officer and have some time to kill before I ship out this fall. For dirt, I ride a KTM 520 MXC, street- either KTM Superduke or '83 Goldwing (yes polar opposites) and am about to pick up a new toy in 2 weeks....DR650!! SO excited for such an cheap/economical bike! I am glad to hop aboard and meet the regulars. BTW, Greg, I think I recognize your name from Ih8mud...If so i recall you selling my dream rig (LX450). Small world? looking forward to a great riding season!
fifty2eighty4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #149
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty2eighty4life View Post
I am so glad I found this thread! I am getting back into dirt biking but have been riding street since I was 16. Only 6 years total riding though (yes...I'm young.) I would love to get in on some of the group rides that you guys are planning! I'm a recent CMU grad, newly commissioned Marine officer and have some time to kill before I ship out this fall. For dirt, I ride a KTM 520 MXC, street- either KTM Superduke or '83 Goldwing (yes polar opposites) and am about to pick up a new toy in 2 weeks....DR650!! SO excited for such an cheap/economical bike! I am glad to hop aboard and meet the regulars. BTW, Greg, I think I recognize your name from Ih8mud...If so i recall you selling my dream rig (LX450). Small world? looking forward to a great riding season!
Welcome to the madness! If you got the dual-sport bug, then the DR will be oh-so-great. I think it's a perfect bike for around here. Let us know when you have it and want to do some riding. We're not organized in any way here (dont need no stinking badges) and there are a lot more FF in the greater western slope area that love to ride but don't post here. Look for folks in the Rockies Region planning rides in Moab, the San Juan's, etc.
BTW- I'm not going to call you by your screen name (my brain it too fried to figure it out). Can we call you Bruce? :-)

Das KTM520
Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #150
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Laugh MasterDecoder

Quote:
(my brain it too fried to figure it out).
One mile in elevation while he is alive!