ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #331
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,305
not the whole trailer, but looks like a new axle today. I noticed when i stopped by Peach Valley for a quick spin with the kids (one of the quads on the trailer we had just bought) and noticed it. Bearings were basically gone, wore a flat spot on the axle. Luckily i could store it at a buddy's shop in Montrose for now until repairs are done! Hope you had a good weekend with the GF!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #332
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
I had girlfriend on the brain at that time (a character flaw, I know, but I'm only human).
Girls on your mind? Wow, now I've heard it all!

M'nR: Going on Westwater next weekend.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #333
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post

M'nR: Going on Westwater next weekend.
you gonna put on your skirt and show them how its done?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #334
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
you gonna put on your skirt and show them how its done?
Sadly, I think that my days of showing anyone how it's done are over (paddling or otherwise), but I will have a good time! Now, I'm passionate about family,friends (which I'm selective about) and freedom, not paddling.

Damn, when I read that I'm a freakin' hermit, I do have a shred of athletic ability left....I think

mylsmkj screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 01:46 PM
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #335
_lee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Grand Junction, CO

I am wondering if this area is passable by motorcycle this time of year at speeds in excess of 65mph on the normal highway.
_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #336
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _lee View Post
I am wondering if this area is passable by motorcycle this time of year at speeds in excess of 65mph on the normal highway.
Yep, minus some passes and rude spring weather.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #337
_lee
Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, minus some passes and rude spring weather.
Do you have any recommendations of what attire one would be best wear for 300 mile plus rides in this area, and do you have any recommended routes if one was trying to go NE through the state towards Minnesota?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #338
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations of what attire one would be best wear for 300 mile plus rides in this area, and do you have any recommended routes if one was trying to go NE through the state towards Minnesota?
I'm not the one to ask about these things, I'd contact NWcolrider. or Co-Ulli for those answers (I Know I'm very wrong on the spelling of those two gentllemen's names)
I've never met either one but I'll guess you'll get a heap of info!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #339
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,257
Quote:
Well- what are you riding for a bike, when, and what kinda trail you talking about?

If you tell me you're on a BMW GSA 1200 and gonna ride Poison Spider, then my recommendation is to wear a casket.

White Rim Trail on a GSA 1200, in March - a good adventure type jacket with plenty of vents and zippers. In July, padded mesh jacket.

If you're doing all highway- then wear whatever gear you'd wear for any march ride- Klim Badlands or Adventure jacket; BMW Rally 2 Pro suit. This is a tricky time of year- you could have a hot sunny day, just as likely as a blizzard. More likely- windy; drizzly at times; sunny at time.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #340
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:

Lee,

I'm with Unaweep on this one (and only this one time); give us a bit more details on what you're planning on doing and we'll hook you up with lots of info (on a reimburable rate of 1.5 six packs of good IPA per usable bit of information -- it's a perfectly reasonable rate around here) .

Seriously, are you single track riding around here or taking in a leisurely highway cruise. To get you started we are part of the Colorado Plateau here and that means hot bare dirt on the low end to aspen forests on the high end. Grand Junction is at about 4,600 ft., if that helps.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #341
Colorado Uli

Quote:
yep, minus some passes and rude spring weather.
+1

Das KTM520
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #342
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
not the whole trailer, but looks like a new axle today. I noticed when i stopped by Peach Valley for a quick spin with the kids (one of the quads on the trailer we had just bought) and noticed it. Bearings were basically gone, wore a flat spot on the axle. Luckily i could store it at a buddy's shop in Montrose for now until repairs are done! Hope you had a good weekend with the GF!

Yeah, I figured that's what you're up to. While I was going to a gala in a tux, the cool kids got to play in the dirt.

Good thing them there axles are pretty cheap. Buy 'em with everyhting attached already and it's even better. Thank you Mr. Chinaman.

Das KTM520
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #343
_lee
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
Lee,

I'm with Unaweep on this one (and only this one time); give us a bit more details on what you're planning on doing and we'll hook you up with lots of info (on a reimburable rate of 1.5 six packs of good IPA per usable bit of information -- it's a perfectly reasonable rate around here) .

Seriously, are you single track riding around here or taking in a leisurely highway cruise. To get you started we are part of the Colorado Plateau here and that means hot bare dirt on the low end to aspen forests on the high end. Grand Junction is at about 4,600 ft., if that helps.
Being a home brewer, I can certainly agree with bartering beer for information. Otherwise, we have a plenty of great local craft brews from around the area that I could send along your way.

I am picking up a R1200GS Adv in San Diego on April 4th, and riding it back to Minneapolis. My current route takes me:

San Diego --> Los Angeles
Los Angeles --> Las Vegas for Lunch --> Grand Canyon

Here is where my route is still somewhat undecided. I would love to be able to see the sites through Colorado, but I worry about safe travel conditions first then cold weather comfort second.

I will be sporting a two piece roadcrafter with an electric vest, winter gloves, heated grips, and layers/layers/layers.

I have put some serious miles on the bike everyday to get back in time. 380-625 miles/day pending the day.

While I would love to get into Colorado and see the scenery, I will be riding with a Pillion through unknown areas so I want to make sure that I don't over do it.

As for routes, I would like to keep it on pavement with good views. My first thought was Grand Canyon to Grand Junction to either Nebraska or Kansas.

I feel it would be a shame in a cross country trip to miss the beauty of Colorado.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #344
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Greg....I have bought 2 bikes from you. I am NOT buying your kidney!

Ozzie
Why not?!?

Hope the bikes are treating you well Ozzie, I still miss the Strom!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #345
Ozzie
OZZIE

Oddometer: 103
Greg - I sold the Dr last spring but the Strom is going strong.

Ozzie
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote