ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #406
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto
 
Graywolf11's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Between Cimarron Ridge and the Uncompaghre
Oddometer: 1,017
Cool2 address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post

Sounds like a plan, got an address by chance?
2704 U.S. Hwy 50
__________________
Life is long enough - it just isn't wide enough.
Although I do enjoy a good single track now and then!
KTM Adventure
Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #407
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf11 View Post
2704 U.S. Hwy 50
Perfect!

For those that need to be spoon fed... - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2704+...gl=us&t=h&z=16
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #408
ColoST
Colo Single Track
 
ColoST's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Western Colorado - Eastern Utah
Oddometer: 44
GJ Day Trip

Count me in, should be able to fit it into the schedule. Would like to get to know a few adv's from the west side. I have a few others that I ride with I'll see if any others are available. Our dual group is headed to Rangely this weekend for three days of north west riding.. Gearing up for another great Colorado riding season... Cheers!
__________________
Westwater , The Swell , Taylor Park for days,, or 5MOH and beers at Rays!!

99KLX300/03BMWF650GS/COHVCO/AMA

http://ColoradoSingleTrack.com
ColoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #409
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf11 View Post
How's about Randy's Southside Diner at 8:30? Wheels up at 9:15 or thereabouts.
Sounds good! See everyone then and there!

ETA:

Another lurker of ADV will probably show too.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #410
LK13
Berger noob
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Montrose
Oddometer: 6
Another W. sloper

Hey all, Checkin in after a few years. Moving from Montrose to GJ this summer, and from the sounds of it will need to get to one of these meet-ups. I ride a Husaberg 550 (right in the middle of a great trail bike and an OK road bike, so would be up for things not too technical, and not too much road. On that: I'm planning on getting a Triumph Street triple soon- any road riders in the area? Cheers!
LK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #411
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK13 View Post
Hey all, Checkin in after a few years. Moving from Montrose to GJ this summer, and from the sounds of it will need to get to one of these meet-ups. I ride a Husaberg 550 (right in the middle of a great trail bike and an OK road bike, so would be up for things not too technical, and not too much road. On that: I'm planning on getting a Triumph Street triple soon- any road riders in the area? Cheers!

Good to have you!

Sounds like you have the prefect bike for the area! Do what you can to join us on Saturday June 1st. There will be a good bit of road riding, along with some great dirt roads.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #412
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,176
Got out on a little test ride today, after some recent work on my bike....

Enjoy! (Oh, watch it in HD... it's more better!)


Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #413
LK13
Berger noob
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Montrose
Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the welcome. The June 1 ride is iffy at best for me but I'll try. The video is awesome- are those all roads on Glade Park? They look like a blast and about what I'm looking forward to.
LK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #414
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK13 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. The June 1 ride is iffy at best for me but I'll try. The video is awesome- are those all roads on Glade Park? They look like a blast and about what I'm looking forward to.
Hopefully we'll see you out there, if not... there will be other rides. By all means, post up when you're available for a ride!

All the dirt in the video is West of Glade Park, actually in Utah. The area is called the Dolores Triangle, quite remote due to the limited access to the area. There is a lot of similar riding to be had, it's really fun to ride into the Glade Park NF with pine trees and Aspens, then drop down into the Dolores Triangle and ride thru Red Rock country all within an hours time.

You can also ride down to Gateway, by way of Sheep Creek Road. It's very rocky, steep and loose, but a fun way to connect Glade Park to Gateway.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #415
jimco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: colorado
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Sweet! My bike is in the shop this week, hopefully will have it back in my hands for a decent test ride this next weekend. The following weekend is Memorial Day and I've got plans... how about the weekend after that?

Say, Saturday, June 1st?

Meet nice & early (8 am?) somewhere in Junction, ride down Unaweep Canyon to Gateway, then John Brown to Moab... either the North or South side of the La Sals. Late lunch in Moab, then back to GJ by the river road. We could ride from Cisco and some dirt roads to Westwater, then the old highway back to town.
Greg@RME how many miles (approx) is this loop? How long do you think it will take? How difficult? Suitable for an old man on a KLR?

Just trying to get a feel for the pace/difficulty of the ride.

I live in Minturn and would ride down on Friday (motel) or trailer down early on Saturday. Either way probably stay in a motel on Saturday night.

I don't want to hold anybody up.

So many questions so little time.

Thanks.
Jim
jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #416
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post
Greg@RME how many miles (approx) is this loop? How long do you think it will take? How difficult? Suitable for an old man on a KLR?

Just trying to get a feel for the pace/difficulty of the ride.

I live in Minturn and would ride down on Friday (motel) or trailer down early on Saturday. Either way probably stay in a motel on Saturday night.

I don't want to hold anybody up.

So many questions so little time.

Thanks.
Jim
Hey Jim! Grand total, I would GUESS it's 250+ miles round trip. Probably close to 50/50 pavement and dirt, if not more dirt than pavement.

Difficulty isn't very tough, most of the dirt riding will be graded Forest Service roads, but there will be places where it's rocky and slow going.

Depending on which way we take from the La Sals to Moab, some of it will be pretty rocky and we may drop down thru Onion Creek, by way of Hideout Road. That would be my preferred route, as it's quite fun & scenic. We can pick & choose our route back from Moab, I figured we'd ride up the River Road (Hyw 128) to Cisco, then drop down to Westwater and take dirt back towards Rabbit Valley. Some of it will be dirt roads, some singletrack and if we want, some rocky/ledgey trails dropping down into Rabbit Valley and on into Loma by way of the old Highway.

It will be a full day of riding, no doubt. I'd plan on eating a late lunch in Moab and coming back into GJ in the evening. Bring snacks and water too!

I would imagine the bigger bikes (sounds like we have a couple KTM Adventures) will set a pretty quick pace on the street and in the easy dirt roads. Hard to say though, I haven't ridden with anyone that's planning on making this ride! Personally, I like to ride at a quick pace when I can, but don't mind waiting when needed.

It's your call... I'd hate to say no if you're able & willing!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #417
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto
 
Graywolf11's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Between Cimarron Ridge and the Uncompaghre
Oddometer: 1,017
Cool2 *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Hey Jim! Grand total, I would GUESS it's 250+ miles round trip. Probably close to 50/50 pavement and dirt, if not more dirt than pavement.

Difficulty isn't very tough, most of the dirt riding will be graded Forest Service roads, but there will be places where it's rocky and slow going.

Depending on which way we take from the La Sals to Moab, some of it will be pretty rocky and we may drop down thru Onion Creek, by way of Hideout Road. That would be my preferred route, as it's quite fun & scenic. We can pick & choose our route back from Moab, I figured we'd ride up the River Road (Hyw 128) to Cisco, then drop down to Westwater and take dirt back towards Rabbit Valley. Some of it will be dirt roads, some singletrack and if we want, some rocky/ledgey trails dropping down into Rabbit Valley and on into Loma by way of the old Highway.

It will be a full day of riding, no doubt. I'd plan on eating a late lunch in Moab and coming back into GJ in the evening. Bring snacks and water too!

I would imagine the bigger bikes (sounds like we have a couple KTM Adventures) will set a pretty quick pace on the street and in the easy dirt roads. Hard to say though, I haven't ridden with anyone that's planning on making this ride! Personally, I like to ride at a quick pace when I can, but don't mind waiting when needed.

It's your call... I'd hate to say no if you're able & willing!
There's easier options for bike bikes with more pavement oriented tires too. Instead of turning off the Gateway road to Onion Creek we can hit the La Salle Loop and go into Moab on the Sand Flats Road. very scenic and not technical at all. We can all meet at a lunch spot in Moab to regroup. Onion Creek is a blast to ride and can be done as an out and back from the bottom on our way back to GJ.
__________________
Life is long enough - it just isn't wide enough.
Although I do enjoy a good single track now and then!
KTM Adventure
Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #418
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf11 View Post
There's easier options for bike bikes with more pavement oriented tires too. Instead of turning off the Gateway road to Onion Creek we can hit the La Salle Loop and go into Moab on the Sand Flats Road. very scenic and not technical at all. We can all meet at a lunch spot in Moab to regroup. Onion Creek is a blast to ride and can be done as an out and back from the bottom on our way back to GJ.
Yep, that was the other option. Not nearly as rough and the La Sal loop is scenic! Different ways to get to the same place.

I don't mind splitting up and meeting for lunch later on, if others want to ride down Onion Creek. I really like the ride from Beaver Mesa down Hideout Road to Taylor Ranch and Onion Creek... lots of fun!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #419
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK13 View Post
Hey all, Checkin in after a few years. Moving from Montrose to GJ this summer, and from the sounds of it will need to get to one of these meet-ups. I ride a Husaberg 550 (right in the middle of a great trail bike and an OK road bike, so would be up for things not too technical, and not too much road. On that: I'm planning on getting a Triumph Street triple soon- any road riders in the area? Cheers!

Right here. S1000RR, although I haven't ridden it much this year so far.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #420
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante
 
Colorado Uli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Riding Paradise - Grand Junction
Oddometer: 2,547
WHAT? WHAT? What did I miss? Damn, I fall asleep for one moment and you kids start planning rides w/o me. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to find something else to that weekend ...., like fly to Spain and go hiking followed up by a week long cruise through the Med. Yeah!!!!! But I'll miss you all.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Hey Jim! Grand total, I would GUESS it's 250+ miles round trip. Probably close to 50/50 pavement and dirt, if not more dirt than pavement.

Difficulty isn't very tough, most of the dirt riding will be graded Forest Service roads, but there will be places where it's rocky and slow going.

Depending on which way we take from the La Sals to Moab, some of it will be pretty rocky and we may drop down thru Onion Creek, by way of Hideout Road. That would be my preferred route, as it's quite fun & scenic. We can pick & choose our route back from Moab, I figured we'd ride up the River Road (Hyw 128) to Cisco, then drop down to Westwater and take dirt back towards Rabbit Valley. Some of it will be dirt roads, some singletrack and if we want, some rocky/ledgey trails dropping down into Rabbit Valley and on into Loma by way of the old Highway.

It will be a full day of riding, no doubt. I'd plan on eating a late lunch in Moab and coming back into GJ in the evening. Bring snacks and water too!

I would imagine the bigger bikes (sounds like we have a couple KTM Adventures) will set a pretty quick pace on the street and in the easy dirt roads. Hard to say though, I haven't ridden with anyone that's planning on making this ride! Personally, I like to ride at a quick pace when I can, but don't mind waiting when needed.

It's your call... I'd hate to say no if you're able & willing!
__________________
Something, something, something ... in latin.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014