ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #436
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Got out with John (motoracer51) today for a 320 mile ride! From haulin' arse on windy mountain roads to creeping along in 1st gear on a rough, rocky road... it was a great day with all kinds of riding and temps from HOT to COLD! Delta was like a blast furnace.... the Grand Mesa was chilly. Loved the transition!

We rode from GJ up to Collbran, over Buzzard Divide and then up McClure Pass... and on to Marble, CO. On the way there John (Riding the Adventure 950) spotted a friends plane at a private landing strip, so we turned around and chatted with him for 20 min. From Marble we rode up to the Crystal Mill, which was rough... 1st gear, loose rocks, etc. I felt bad for John on the massive Adventure... the 690 was decently capable in the rough stuff. From there we stopped in Marble at a BBQ joint for lunch, then headed towards home... by way of the Grand Mesa and then down Lands End road and back to GJ.

Greg@RME screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 08:37 AM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #437
Ozzie
OZZIE

Oddometer: 99
Sweet!

Oz
Ozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #438
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 244
Great ride Greg. Making me feel like a wuss. I thought I was doing good cracking off 200 miles before lunch yesterday.

The JQS trail up out Rifle is one spectacular road! I Went up it and around the west edge of the plateau on 8200 rd. Don't hear much about it here. I cut across the Piceance back to Rangely. I was under some time constraint so no pics.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #439
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Sweet!

Oz
Yes it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerbill View Post
Great ride Greg. Making me feel like a wuss. I thought I was doing good cracking off 200 miles before lunch yesterday.

The JQS trail up out Rifle is one spectacular road! I Went up it and around the west edge of the plateau on 8200 rd. Don't hear much about it here. I cut across the Piceance back to Rangely. I was under some time constraint so no pics.
Don't sweat it too much, I know John was hurting that evening... and I was pretty sore this morning! We paid for the long day on the bikes.

I still haven't been up JQS, I've heard about it quite a bit. I need to add it to the list I guess. Was it at least cool up there?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #440
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 244
Very nice and cool on top. The view up river was breathtaking.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #441
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerbill View Post
Very nice and cool on top. The view up river was breathtaking.
Definitely added to the list then!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #442
motoracer51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Good, make that GREAT ride man!! I have a hoot! Those 8 or so hours is pretty much all the time I've had to myself lately, and it's, refreshing!

Riding and checking out all these new places has rekindled my passion for riding.

Let me know when you're up for the next one!

ETA:

Actually felt good on Sunday! I put more a hurt on myself from doing legs in the gym and my 20 mile ride on the pedal bike, than the KTM gave me.

I'm actually, impressed, to say the least, at how well the big ole bike handled that stuff. I honestly don't think I had even one "moment" lol

motoracer51 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 05:43 AM
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #443
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Cool pics Greg. Sounds like a great ride.

The family and I were up on the Mesa a couple weekends back, checking things out. Can't wait to get back up there when it has thawed more.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #444
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I spent some time riding up JQS trail a couple weeks ago, camped overnight.

Get a good map, the map I got was woefully inadequate. There are some fun trails, nothing too crazy. Unless you are loaded down with gasoline, water, and camping equipment, then some of the trails get a bit more difficult

I ended up getting sick and cut the trip short, we only went 1 night and meant to go 3. I'd of liked to explore some more. Most of the trails I saw are 4WD trails, the kind a stock explorer could probably do just fine. One trail (8004) was pretty steep with ruts and loose dirt, but it was short and dead ends at a nice camping spot.

previous: KLR 250, KLR 650, Ninja 650r, Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha Seca II, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki TS185
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #445
westernsloper
Loving life

Oddometer: 8
Just wanted to introduce myself... I'm a new rider located in lovely Grand Junction, and I recently stumbled upon a 2001 KL250 Super Sherpa. I scooped it right up. Needless to say I'm eager to get out there and start exploring, but naturally I'm gonna have to ease myself into things as I improve as a rider.

Once I get a better hang of things, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions about good rides for a noob in the area. I love exploring around here, and I can't wait to hit the road less traveled!

So if you see a guy nervously puttering around on a little green Kawasaki dual sport, there's a good chance it's me! And if you see a little green bike wrapped around a tree and me off in a ditch somewhere, don't hesitate to stop and say hello and please feel free to render first aid!

westernsloper screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 11:07 PM
westernsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #446
motoracer51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernsloper View Post
Just wanted to introduce myself... I'm a new rider located in lovely Grand Junction, and I recently stumbled upon a 2001 KL250 Super Sherpa. I scooped it right up. Needless to say I'm eager to get out there and start exploring, but naturally I'm gonna have to ease myself into things as I improve as a rider.

Once I get a better hang of things, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions about good rides for a noob in the area. I love exploring around here, and I can't wait to hit the road less traveled!

So if you see a guy nervously puttering around on a little green Kawasaki dual sport, there's a good chance it's me! And if you see a little green bike wrapped around a tree and me off in a ditch somewhere, don't hesitate to stop and say hello and please feel free to render first aid!
Welcome. Go look at some maps and wonder around!
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #447
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Westernsloper, welcome to the area. Lots of great places to ride around here. Pretty new to the area myself. Enjoy and be safe.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #448
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Hey everyone, unless you've been living under a rock you've probably heard about the new RMP (Recreation Management Plan) that the Mesa County BLM is trying to force down our throats... their 'preferred' alternative includes closing 65% of trails in Mesa County!

Several clubs and groups are working on comment parties, etc... the Grand Mesa Jeep Club is putting on a Pizza Party to gather more comments against the BLM's plan tomorrow evening. I will be there... would really love to see some local ADV'ers there too!

Here's the details...

Quote:
More than a dozen Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) groups in Western Colorado are hosting a “Public Lands Pizza Party” in all-out effort to convince the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) not to proceed with their plans to close over 60% of the roads and trails near Grand Junction, Colorado. The goal of the meeting is to provide details on the thousands of miles of proposed closures and to assist recreationists to write comment letters.

“Motorized trail users support BLM's plan to more actively manage recreational use and we've contributed thousands of hours, and financial support to help them,” Jeff Bates, President of the Grand Mesa Jeep Club said. “But we do not support this wholesale closure plan.” Bates made the point that BLM's public comment process is almost impossible to understand. He said the BLM's new plan will affect anyone who enjoys recreation on BLM lands. The majority of the public is in for shocking surprise. “The average recreationist has no idea of what the BLM has in store for them. Our plan is to inform and educate in the effort to convince the BLM to reconsider their plans.”

The event is planned for June 18th, 2013 from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the Community building at the Mesa County Fairgrounds.

Representatives from OHV organizations will be on hand to assist members of the public understand and comment on the BLM's plans. Bates said; “The sad fact is the general public simply can't wade through the three thousand pages of complicated bureaucratic planning documents. Even BLM's maps are hard to understand. So we asked professionals from several national recreation advocacy groups to help the average recreational visitor participate.”

Bates said the BLM's proposal is the latest in several rounds of road and trail closures in western and central Colorado. Bates made the point that over the last decade thousands of miles of roads and trails have already been closed. “We believe a critical mass has been reached. The recreating public does not support additional closures.” It is frustrating to see that federal land managers seem to believe the only solution to problems is closure. Bates said, “Our groups have contributed thousands of hours and millions of dollars to build bridges, re-route trails and even fund law enforcement. There are better solutions than closure.”

Bates stressed the importance of the general public becoming more involved. “Public lands should be open to the public. BLM's proposal will close some of the most spectacular scenic backcountry to anyone not healthy and hardy enough to hike long distances.” Our meeting will help the average citizen make their opinion known to the BLM.

Several local Off Highway Vehicle groups are participating, including, The Grand Mesa Jeep Club, the Motorcycle Trail Riders Association, Western Slope ATV association, the Thunder Mountain Wheelers, Colorado Canyon Crawlers, the OutKast Offroad Club, Bookcliff Cruisers, and many more. The state and national groups involved include the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition, the American Motorcyclists Association, United Four Wheel Drive Associations.

This is tomorrow evening!! Please do what you can to attend, their goal is to get 500 MORE comments submitted against the 'preferred' alternative and suggest the BLM reconsider their plan.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #449
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Hey everyone, unless you've been living under a rock you've probably heard about the new RMP (Recreation Management Plan) that the Mesa County BLM is trying to force down our throats... their 'preferred' alternative includes closing 65% of trails in Mesa County!

Several clubs and groups are working on comment parties, etc... the Grand Mesa Jeep Club is putting on a Pizza Party to gather more comments against the BLM's plan tomorrow evening. I will be there... would really love to see some local ADV'ers there too!

Here's the details...

This is tomorrow evening!! Please do what you can to attend, their goal is to get 500 MORE comments submitted against the 'preferred' alternative and suggest the BLM reconsider their plan.
Bump for tonight, this is very important!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #450
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Went out for a quick ride with Uli on his KTM 950 Super Enduro yesterday. We went up to the Uncompahgre and found our own adventure... lots of rocks, deep sand, awesome canyons and washes and even some water. We eventually found some high elevation and cool weather, which was nice. The trails were extremely dry, so much dust! I should have taken goggles, rather than sun glasses.

I ended up with a gas line that leaked real bad, 2 different times. Basically a banjo bolt connecting the tanks came loose and was hitting the swingarm while launching off countless water bars, (aftermarket tanks, lowered bike... not the best solution) I'm pretty sure I lost 3 gallons by the time we repaired it correctly, which isn't good when the bike holds just over 5 total. Both the leaks happened while we were riding and seeing a leak at the back of the bike isn't easy while rmoving. I rolled into town with 20 miles on the odometer SINCE the low fuel light came on, topped of the tank and headed for some refreshments.

After getting something to eat and drink, we headed out to the bikes... Uli had accidentally left his LED lights on and his SE was DEAD! I had to push start him in the parking lot! Some hottie college girl even commented as she walked by, saying he wouldn't have trouble if it was a Yamaha! Hahaaaa... It was a great day, I ended up with about 130 miles on the bike. It was some fun exploration, saw some new places on the Unc that I hadn't been to before and we experienced some rough riding.

Pics from the day-

Here's a link to the tracks... - http://alltrails.com/tracks/unca

Greg@RME screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 11:36 AM