ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #481
GJMark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for the advice, both on riding up Hunt Canyon and on the sprocket change. I did head up the canyon this morning. Went about 2 3/4 miles from the mouth...beautiful place. I had to do a lot of slipping the clutch to keep it going in a reasonable manner. I don't understand though...how is it that the bike seems to gain weight the further I go? It was quite a workout and I just got tired and turned around. I don't know how Uli herds that big monster of his in places like this. Perhaps it's that he's 20 years younger than I. Thanks again for the help and for all your posts and experience.
GJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #482
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,548
Ha! When I get the 950 into a place like that, somehow I feed a LOT older than I am. :-). Can't wait to get my little 520 back from its engine overhaul. Then ... Look out.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #483
benjamin1031
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Bump...

Does nobody ride in this heat or what?? Has anyone run the trails at the bangs canyon staging area? Are the trails long? Are they difficult? Are they fun? Just figured I'd ask folks who might know. Thanks in advance. Ben
benjamin1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #484
GJMark
Adventurer

Bangs Canyon trails are fun and cover some interesting territory. Billings Trail ends at the Gunnison River...did that one a couple weeks ago...11 miles from staging area to river. Tabauche (sp) trail is rugged in places but interesting. We did that the week before and just ran out of time in the evening. It's really a fun and interesting place to ride. An easy trail would be Rattlesnake Canyon behind the Colorado Monument...really interesting arches and a good 4WD road. This area is truly a jewel for all kinds of riders!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #485
GJMark
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
Ha! When I get the 950 into a place like that, somehow I feed a LOT older than I am. :-). Can't wait to get my little 520 back from its engine overhaul. Then ... Look out.
That engine overhaul seems to have taken forever! Did you get all the issues with the bad reconditioning remedied?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #486
benjamin1031
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Mark, could a novice do ok on those trails? Or would I ( I mean the novice person I'm representing) have trouble with them?
benjamin1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #487
GJMark
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1031 View Post
Mark, could a novice do ok on those trails? Or would I ( I mean the novice person I'm representing) have trouble with them?
I would say I'm somewhat of a novice rider too. Some of the loose rock and small shelves in a few areas will keep you busy but all-in-all, if I can do it, you most likely can too. The Tabauche (sp) trail seemed much harder for me than the Billings trail.

Something I will always do is turn around if I feel I'm getting in over my head, and I have no problem parking the bike and walking a section to see if it is too much for me. A little hint from a friend of mine...on uphill problems, just let out the clutch and stall the engine. It keeps your feet free to help balance and lets you lay the bike down slow if you have to because the front brake isn't going to slow your downhill slide much.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #488
Chain Drive
Two Wheel Tourist

Oddometer: 18
Bangs Trails

Visitor maps should be in the map box at the 3rd Flats entrance to the trail system. If not bug the GJ BLM office. The ATV trails are good intermediate level dirt bike trails. Good skills practice. The Butter knife single track is more difficult and has some exposure issues.

A good intermediate loop is to start at 3rd flats and take the road to the Gunnison River. Then take Windmill Rd (no signs) west to the Tab trail. At the Tab turn north and go to the main trailhead. About 23 miles of scenic fun.
Chain Drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #489
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Oddometer: 87
Who is riding where this weekend? (08/03 & 08/04)

My 450XCW needs a service but the 640A is all set.

Chris
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #490
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain Drive View Post
Visitor maps should be in the map box at the 3rd Flats entrance to the trail system. If not bug the GJ BLM office. The ATV trails are good intermediate level dirt bike trails. Good skills practice. The Butter knife single track is more difficult and has some exposure issues.

A good intermediate loop is to start at 3rd flats and take the road to the Gunnison River. Then take Windmill Rd (no signs) west to the Tab trail. At the Tab turn north and go to the main trailhead. About 23 miles of scenic fun.
There are some maps here. http://papatelluride.org/maps/ PAPA is doing some great stuff keeping trails open.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #491
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJMark View Post
That engine overhaul seems to have taken forever! Did you get all the issues with the bad reconditioning remedied?
Yes I did. The gentleman promised to fix it for me or replace it. I'm very glad I chose to communicate with him how I felt vs. swallowing my disappointment. Hopefully I'll get to ride it before the season is over because I'm really looking forward to some of the single track on the Unc.

Das KTM520
Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #492
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiryas View Post
Who is riding where this weekend? (08/03 & 08/04)

My 450XCW needs a service but the 640A is all set.

Chris
Hey Chris! I wish I was riding this weekend, we're still unpacking from the move and I simply don't have the time to get out on a ride yet.

Quote:
Yes I did. The gentleman promised to fix it for me or replace it. I'm very glad I chose to communicate with him how I felt vs. swallowing my disappointment. Hopefully I'll get to ride it before the season is over because I'm really looking forward to some of the single track on the Unc.

We still need to ride the Fruita desert and down 21 Road...
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #493
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
We still need to ride the Fruita desert and down 21 Road...
Evil smile indeed.
But I'll do it with you. Carrying KTMs IS an option.
Congratulations on the new house.

Das KTM520
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #494
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Evil smile indeed.
But I'll do it with you. Carrying KTMs IS an option.
Congratulations on the new house.
Thanks Uli! It's so much work... but the effort is worth it! We're getting there, finally getting stuff unpacked, hooking up the computer & TV, catching up on the yard work and even put new swamp cooler on yesterday! I did pick up something Orange and new to ride...

Hopefully your small bike is together soon, I should be able to get out in a couple weeks.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #495
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Thanks Uli! It's so much work... but the effort is worth it! We're getting there, finally getting stuff unpacked, hooking up the computer & TV, catching up on the yard work and even put new swamp cooler on yesterday! I did pick up something Orange and new to ride...

Hopefully your small bike is together soon, I should be able to get out in a couple weeks.
I can find some KTM steekers for that beauty, I'm sure. Then it'll almost be an X-Bow.
Tractor racin at Greg's, ya'll.

Das KTM520