ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #496
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Oddometer: 90
Congrats on the new place, did you order a decal set for this yet?

Did you transplant the old 3 window in the front yard from the old house to the new? I thought that was awesome, looked nice and the yard was easy to maintain.

I needed some string for the trimmer so I rode to Silt and topped up on non-ethenol fuel and headed south over to Paonia. Then took McClure over to Bonedale for KTM bits and into Glenwood for my shopping list, unfortunately it was too dark by the time I got home for yardwork

Been looking on Google Earth and old FS topo's for a dirtroad backway from Piceance to Douglas Pass. Found something but checking land status and talk to some FS friends before a recon trip.

Cheers, Chris
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #497
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 295
Rode the recon last fall. Road is gated and locked at the west edge of the square s. Quickest way to Douglas is down into Tommy's draw via a four wheeler track following the pipeline. Crazy steep. Small bike maybe. Big bike no. I've ridden it many times on a 4whlr but never on a bike. From there go over brushy point and down rope canyon. This puts you to the base of Douglas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #498
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Minerbill,

Is this the road that is gated? Tough to tell from the images I know, but does it look familiar?

Thanks, Chris
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #499
minerbill
Emits Methane

Looks close. All I have is my crappy phone. Due east off of the top of Douglas, due west from the heads of soldier and lake creeks.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #500
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
I can find some KTM steekers for that beauty, I'm sure. Then it'll almost be an X-Bow.
Tractor racin at Greg's, ya'll.
It's the new KTM X-Mow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiryas View Post
Congrats on the new place, did you order a decal set for this yet?

Did you transplant the old 3 window in the front yard from the old house to the new? I thought that was awesome, looked nice and the yard was easy to maintain.

I needed some string for the trimmer so I rode to Silt and topped up on non-ethenol fuel and headed south over to Paonia. Then took McClure over to Bonedale for KTM bits and into Glenwood for my shopping list, unfortunately it was too dark by the time I got home for yardwork

Been looking on Google Earth and old FS topo's for a dirtroad backway from Piceance to Douglas Pass. Found something but checking land status and talk to some FS friends before a recon trip.

Cheers, Chris

Hey Chris! The Model T made it to the new house, but it's harder to find! Sadly there is much more grass, hence the new ride. Sound's like you have an excellent ride, I'm jealous!

Speaking of the new ride... I took the suggestions from Uli and yourself...

Fits right in!!

Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #501
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,743
That garage is un-naturally clean, you need to tear something down

Congrats on the new place Greg.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #502
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That garage is un-naturally clean, you need to tear something down

Congrats on the new place Greg.
Thanks Chris! Oh, I've got a few projects lined up already, some I'm not looking forward to. I have plenty of 'projects' around the new place too, I think I'll be booked until 2015 sometime! I just hope I can squeeze in some riding every now & again.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #503
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Anyone riding or want to ride this weekend? I need to get out... been too long and I could use the stress relief!

I could do something dual-sportish or gnarly dirtbiking.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #504
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Anyone riding or want to ride this weekend? I need to get out... been too long and I could use the stress relief!

I could do something dual-sportish or gnarly dirtbiking.

Sorry buddy, I'm going to be in Denver. The 950 is in pieces anyway while I try to mess with the carbs (as always). Still hoping to get the 520 back from the shop in time to go up high and do some trail riding before the snow comes back.

BTW- Love the X-Mow idea. May have to get you a steeker that says that.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better

Colorado Uli screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 11:20 AM
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #505
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerbill View Post
Rode the recon last fall. Road is gated and locked at the west edge of the square s. Quickest way to Douglas is down into Tommy's draw via a four wheeler track following the pipeline. Crazy steep. Small bike maybe. Big bike no. I've ridden it many times on a 4whlr but never on a bike. From there go over brushy point and down rope canyon. This puts you to the base of Douglas.

Bill, are you describing that route down from where we camped out a few month ago? I remember asking if there was a shortcut down the mountain to come out near rope canyon and you guys said that it would be pretty much impossible on a big bike.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #506
minerbill
Emits Methane

That is the trail. I still think a 520/450 class bike should get down it.
Oil shale potato chips and rutted.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #507
minerbill
Emits Methane

Its right here!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #508
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Its right here!

That is the track I had seen. Is this the one that is locked at the Square S? Or is this the steep four wheeler road, Tommy's Draw?

How steep, and whats a big bike?

KTM 640 Adventure too big?

Thanks Minerbill, just trying hard find alternatives to the I-70 corridor on my way to GJ or Glenwood.

Cheers, Chris
Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #509
cycleking650
KLR 650

Oddometer: 36
Hey everyone I'm new to this whole forum thing and I'm just getting into this dual sport thing. I've been riding dirt bikes most of my life but decided to get a dual sport so I didn't have to haul my bike everywhere I went I moved to the grand valley 3 years ago and don't really know to many people here so I'm looking for a few people to ride with. I recently got a 2013 klr650 and I'm not a pro at riding it yet. So if your looking for someone else to join your rides just let me know and thanks I can do weekend now and possible middle of the week trips in the future
cycleking650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #510
jna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleking650 View Post
Hey everyone I'm new to this whole forum thing and I'm just getting into this dual sport thing. I've been riding dirt bikes most of my life but decided to get a dual sport so I didn't have to haul my bike everywhere I went I moved to the grand valley 3 years ago and don't really know to many people here so I'm looking for a few people to ride with. I recently got a 2013 klr650 and I'm not a pro at riding it yet. So if your looking for someone else to join your rides just let me know and thanks I can do weekend now and possible middle of the week trips in the future
PM sent.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote